40 grain v-max

nick2010

would a 40 grain v-max bullet knock coyotes down still? just looking at the size of a bullet cause it would shoot faster/ farther but would it still knock a coyote down just as easy at 300-400 yards like a 50 grain or 60 grain bullet?

I tried 40 gr NBT's in my 223AI on coyotes, and the results were less than ideal IME. And the vmax are even more explosive, I'm now looking into heavier bullets for that rifle. YMMV.

What are you shooting it out of? I can assure you with good shot placement a 40 vmax will get the job done. Used them for awhile out of a .223.

But the goal isnt to simply knockem down btw.

In the .223, the Vmax can get it done IF shot is properly placed i.e.not on a hip or shoulder as it is a pretty frangible bullet.

I would keep well placed shots under 150 yards.

A less frangible, i.e. tougher 40 grain bullet is the Sierra HP.

Yes, flatter by a bit for a while at 0-150 yards, but check the ballistics charts (Nosler 4th edition Manual has a complete chart section) and you will find the heavier-for caliber bullets drop less at longer ranges....

Sierra has a nice 60 grain HP, also Speer 52 gr. HP, and the Hornady 50 and 55 gr. SX bullets will all do well in the .223

For pd's I use 40gr V Max out of a 223.
While out shooting pd's, we spotted a coyote behind us.
I wheeled around, put the crosshairs on the shoulder and squeezed.
Through the scope I seen fur / chunks fly and the coyote drop.
As I was looking a different direction, the coyote got up and ran off. We never did find it.
My mistake was shooting it in the shoulder. Had I aimed 2 inches farther back, I'm sure it would have turned lung into Jell-o.
One year I shot approx a dozen coyotes with the Barnes 36gr Grenades and never had a problem.
Shot placement is everything.

do the v-max bullets damage the hide very badly? i am shooting nosler BT's right now in 50 grain and do like them just was curious about the v-maxes

Nick, every now and then these topics pop up.
If you do some searching, you will find that a bunch of folks have agreed that V-Max are for varmints and stiffer stiff like Noslers are for predators. Any coyote I've popped with a V-Max has made a mess. I had a lot less damage with the Barnes Grenades, although some claim they are not accurate enough. All of my shots are less than 100 yards anyway.

Originally Posted By: nick2010do the v-max bullets damage the hide very badly? i am shooting nosler BT's right now in 50 grain and do like them just was curious about the v-maxes I've heard of the V max's "splashing" quite a bit, and I as well as the couple cousins of mine have always been very happy with the performance of our Nosler's. Just that is enough to make me stay with a combo that has proven itself for me in accuracy and performance. Just my opinion though. good luck

I asked the same question a couple of months ago. Since then I've shot 3 coyotes with the 40gr V-Max. 1st one @ 165 yds, spun 3 times, no blood, just entrance hole in chest, broadside. 2nd one @ 200 yds, spun 3 times, ran 20 yds, no blood, just entrance hole in chest, broadside. 3rd one @ 294 yds, DRT, no blood, just entrance hole in front of chest, facing me straight on. I used 52 gr Sierra HPBT and Hornady 52 gr HPBT before and generally had 2 holes and blood out their mouths. This is out of .223 AR 15's with 20" and 24" barrels.

Flyrodder

You'll get alot of different opinions on the 40 Vmax. I shoot them out of my .204 Ruger over 25 grains of Benchmark. I've killed 2 big coyotes with it and both were one shot one kill, DRT. Both shots were about 100 yards or so and I hit them both in the front shoulder. So far so good for me on the 40 gr. Vmax..

Back