training dogs to trail coyote

howlin mad

heres one for the hound guys.The guys i hunt with had the chance to buy a pair of trail dogs ones a walker the other is a july hound just picked them up thursday will try them this weekend iam not the dog man my broinlaw and newphews are just wondering opinions on if we were to get acouple of pups to train as trail dogs what would u get and how would you go about training them.does any one put out a video on how to train dogs to run coyote or any good books brotherinlaw nows his stuff on traning coon dogs and bear dogs but i am just wondering how you guys go about it.i think this could be a fun way for the group to add a few more yote carcass to my fur shed floor .thanks guys

A trail dog is a trail dog, they use their nose to find, and follow a track. The only difference is whether game is bayed/ caught, on the ground, or in a tree.
Have fun with your new adventure.

My best advice is hunt them lots, that's the biggest help to starting one. At least three days a week. If they run enough with good dogs, soon enough they will start to figure out what is going on, and get better.

I was wondering,does it matter how fast a dog trails when on a coyote compared to a coon or bear?It seems to me that a little more speed would be good for coyotes.

Back