204 vs. 22 hornet

canyonblaster

I'm a new guy to the forum and Love it. Been hunting fox in maryland for 22yrs. Coyotes are here now and alot of them, used a 22lr or 22mag for years. Shot 3 coyotes found 1 lost 2 I have small properties 100-200 some 30-50 acres to hunt. Which gun is better 204 or 22 hornet to buy and why? Shots about 100-200 max. Which loads and why?

Originally Posted By: canyonblaster I have small properties 100-200 some 30-50 acres to hunt. Which gun is better 204 or 22 hornet to buy and why? Shots about 100-200 max. Which loads and why?

Better for coyotes or fox? If coyotes, either is better than the rimfires. I'd prefer the 204. The 22 Hornet seems to have a cult like following, heck, I've even got a 22 KHornet somewhere I think?

I just thoroughly believe the 204 will outperform the Hornet on coyotes. The Hornet will probably do better on fox if your saving fur.

I like the 35gr Bergers and use them exclusively in the 20 cal for predators. I even light load for one rifle so it is even more fur friendly on cats and such.

Good luck, and good hunting

Both will do the job at the yardage you mentioned, my 2 cents are. .204 if ya reload,...35gr Berger has done good by me. Getting 3,000 fps seems tough from the Hornet.

Originally Posted By: canyonblasterWhich brand gun is hold patterns better.

These aren't shotguns or Savage rifles, these hold tight groups.
smile.gif

I personally like the CZ 527.

Just having fun with the Savage part.

Another thing is if you are looking at .204's shooting 45-50 gr Bullet, make sure you look at the barrel twist. Some .204's have trouble with 40's and higher. Good Luck.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyKeepin fur, go hornet
+1
or if you really want a .204 I'd say one of these bullets 26gr barnes varmint gernade, or 32gr vmax

I'd go with the 22 hornet for the size area your hunting, even more so if you have people living close to the area, and noise, or overshooting is a concern. if you reload you can tweak the loads on either to fine tune them. I have both, and find myself using the hornet more when on my 25 acre piece of land.

I have a 204 an just acquired a 22 hornet. If your shots aren't past 200 [beeep] u can go either way. Both will do the job but if her saving fur... for sure go with the hornet.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: canyonblasterWhich brand gun is hold patterns better.

These aren't shotguns or Savage rifles, these hold tight groups.
smile.gif

I personally like the CZ 527.

Just having fun with the Savage part.
thumbup.gif
lol.gif

If you are keeping fur, and you will shoot more fox then coyotes, go hornet. More coyotes then fox, go 204 with 35gr bergers if you reload or 34gr hollow point winchester if you don't. Both of those bullets have worked great for me, and have never had a blow up with them even when hitting bone. If noise is a concern, go hornet again. I have both (but a K-hornet) and you really can't go wrong with either.

Both are excellent calibers and you'd enjoy both IMO.

I like the Hornet because it really packs a punch for such a tiny cartridge. But if you dont handload, they are pretty pricey for such a small bullet.

I have been shooting 36gr Barnes Varmint Grenades out of my Hornet, and they CREAM jack rabbits! But they dont feed terribly well, so I tend to shoot the 32gr V-Max out of mine most often powered by 11gr Lil Gun and a small pistol primer.

My only complaint about the Hornet, is that it doesnt produce the accuracy that I would like past 150 yards. That is where my .204 really shines. I'm not saying the Hornet wont shoot past that distance, I just cant seem to find a load that produces the results I would personally like to see.

If you dont handload, I think the .204 might be the better option due to ammo availability and also more options with a similar price point relative to the Hornet. But you can also find HSM loads for substantially cheaper than other factory loads (HSM also does Hornet loads, but they arent as easy to come by in my neck of the woods).

The .204 is really a great caliber. A varmint sniper's dream if you ask me

Last edited by a moderator:
Back