22 Hornet for Yotes

Garyoutlaw

From most of what I read everyone has a crush on the sweet little 22 Hornet but I have to ask - If loaded with quality heavy factory amo and good shot placement will this round knock em dead out to 150 - 200 yards ?

absolutly, i have been shootin one off and on for over 15 yrs. most coyotes/cats called in are taken inside 60 yds, and the hornet is bad medicine.lol the longest shot taken with my hornet was 253 yds (stepped off) coyote was facing me, put the crosshairs between his ears and put one under his chin.... didn't know what hit him. i shoot factory hornady ammo.

p.s i have had more run off's from my .204 than my hornet, it's a nice calling rifle.

I've probably said it a zillion times, I LOVE MY HORNET! It's an excellent calling rifle in the right parts of this country. I live in a heavily wooded, somewhat hilly, agricultural area that rarely produces shots over 200 yards when calling. It's perfect for this application! If I do call in a wide open area(which is pretty rare)I reach for a different rifle. I do have to admit that since purchasing my .204 my Hornet hasn't gotten as much field time, but I'm constantly considering going back to using it as my full-time calling rig! It gives me a little piece of mind when hunting on farms with alot of livestock, too. Less likely for the bullet to travel so far. Also it's not near as loud as your bigger calibers. I don't care what anyone says, some of the older farmers in my area just turn their backs on guys using loud and larger caliber rifles! If they don't hear it, they won't question it! I highly recommend the 22 Hornet to anyone who can use it within its limitations.

The hornet is an awesome lil 22 rifle. 200 yards is at the last of the edge of its effective killing range, but for yotes. GOOD KILLING MEDICINE

The factory Hornady loads are 35 gr V-MAX. The most popular loads in a hornet seem to be in the 40 to 45 grain range, I have shot from 30 grain Calhoon's to 45 grain Rem factory. I prefer the 40 grain Sierra soft point hornet bullet, although the 30 grain are fun and fast to shoot. I would think the 50 grain would be slower than I would like.

I use 40 gr V-Max in my K-Hornet, it is very effective on coyotes. I just don't have the guts to try the 35 gr version on a coyote! I have flipped coyotes over - end for end - at over 120 yards with mine, but it is dying quickly at the 200 mark. A friend shot a PD with my rifle at a little over 300 yds once (lucky shot), and the bullet never expanded - just drilled a little hole through it.
Mark

I use a 45gr Barnes XLC over 13.0grs of Lilgun powder and a small pistol primer for ignition. My MV is about 2,900fps. This load works the best of all that I have tried for coyotes. I try to limit my head-on shots to about 100yds and broadside shots to about 175yds. Much over those ranges and I have runners.

We shoot 35gr VMax in our handloads. IMO, the effective range of the Hornet is about 150 yds ... not 200. Yes, I know that there are probably many on here that have used them at 200 and possibly beyond. But the energy drop is too much for me to feel good about using it at those ranges. Great little gun, and I love to shoot it.'

BTW ...... what's a "yote"?

You guys should try the 40g Speer Sp on yotes, it is a whale of yote killer, will penetrate quartering shots and break shoulers with ease.

I also shot a load of 12.0g of 296 with a 50g Nosler Ballistic tip, knocks them flat at 200.

Fire ball is a better round than the hornet, no comparison.

You can duplicate the Hornet's and 221 FB velocities with a 223 loaded with 12-13.5g(2900 fps-3200 fps) of Blue dot and a 40g bullet.

Again, the 40g Speer is my favorite bullet for these applications because it shoots through heavy joints and spines with ease.

Originally Posted By: Hidalgo

BTW ...... what's a "yote"?

grin.gif
grin.gif

Back