Wildcat loads on coyotes, 22-243 Mid.,Ackleys,6mm-284,etc.

FYI...If you have an Academy Sports in your area they have a price drop on Stevens rifles. They are $179.00. A buddy and I bought six at our Academy last week just for the actions. Might be worth a look.

Brian

Last edited:
I have a 22-243 Midd, 26" rechambered Encore...supposed to be a 1-10 but I think it is more like 1-12 as I can't get anything over the length of a 60 gr VM to group. I shoot 60gr Horn SP's and VM's at

The "point and shoot" was a pun, as i posted on my 1st post; that is an impossibilty unless you have a lazer gun, I was hoping i would get some interesting and valuable feedback and i appreciate everyone keeping this post going.
With the Encores knew that they were not consistent. I have played with them for several years and enjoy loading and shooting some of the calibers that are offered in them, I expecially enjoy shooting the Contenders. All of the cartridges i own in the T/C's are rimmed except my 223 and get reasonable accuracy, nothing compared with my other VT bolt guns, but i was looking for something light to carry. I have called techs at T/C and asked them about certain calibers such as the WSM's and others. Answer: the cartridges i mentioned carried too high pressures to be safe. Hence the case seizing and difficulty removing from the chamber. I have a 7mm-08 in a 15" barrel and i have never had any problems with extractions or otherwise, but i am not pushing the pressures high as i would be on a Wildcat. I appreciate everyone being honest about the digging the cartridges out, that was what i was wanting to hear. I will be goin with a bolt its not to hard to figure out. I was wanting a repeater anyway for follow-ups.

Far as reliable ballastics online, have you tried the Hornady site? What i came up with was right on when i took my Rem 700 ADL Varmint 22-250 with 60 LD bullets to the range. My reloads chronyed 3650 fps and I zeroed it at 250 yds and the rises at 100 and 200 were consistent with approx. 1 1/2 inches at those ranges and 2 3/4 inches low at 300.

I have found info on several websites on loading data on the Wildcats that i have mentioned. Seirra and Hornady have a some in there newest manuals. Hodgdon and Accurate Reloading.com sites have some good data also. Also very impressed with the new Hodgdon Superformance data, if can do what it says. Far as the ads on Hornady new Superform ammo i like the stats. This sounds like a way to get some extra speed 100-250 Fps depending on the cartridge.

How many loads are you putting

Not to belabor the point but T/C has barrels in 6mm-06, 6.5-284, 6.5 Rem Mag and several 25 cals that would fit your criteria, seems like, so the ejector problem may already be solved.

As far as using the WSM...this being a "wildcat" proposition and it being up to you to reload safely, all you have to do is keep the pressures down equal to the ratio between the belted mags already available and the slightly larger WSM case head which is only about 5% larger...keep the pressures 5% below 62KPSI for a 416 Rem/375 H&H or ~58-59KPSI and you will be all right.

The 6.5/350 RM case would be an excellent one for a 6mm-350RM and give you all the velocity you require, but at a cost of shorter barrel life and a large powder charge.

I'm getting 4200 fs with my small 20 Practical, 8208 and 32 gr bullets....just think what you could get with the over twice as large 350 RM case and 60 gr bullets.

All it takes is thinking outside the envelope...SAFELY... and money.

Luck

I just built a 6x284 pistol. Check with a bunch of gunsmiths out west and went with it.1/8 twist 15.5" barrel heres the final project. It is getting topped with a US Optics 3.2x17x44.

mail.jpg

Last edited:
VERY NICE...beautiful stock and cool looking MB. Looks integral rather than add on.

I have an XP 7mm-08 15" Shilen bbl fibergalss stock and home made, quick dump MB. The MB sure makes a difference in recoil. 120 VM's do very well.

Luck

Had a 7-08 sold it. Got a 243AI and a 338 LM improved. I think next one will be 7mm Dakota. Chuck Macitosh at Macs guns done it Great smith.

Back