Hunting Coyotes at night w/o artificial lights

StrongBowman

In MO you can not hunt coyotes with the aid of artificial lights. Has anyone had any luck trying this? Only way i know to have any success at all would be on a well lit moon night, and on snow. Thanks, Strong

Put Feb 18th down on your calender thats when the full moon wil be here! I almost went the last ful moon but didnt so maybr this next one.

We're in the same boat in KS. My brothers boss tried the full moon on snow thing once before. By the time he seen the coyote it was a couple feet away and the burners were on. I don't recall if he ever got a shot off.

ya you should try it my son and I went out this last full moon. it was the first time that we have tried it. it was fun cal.led in 2 on first stand 5 on the second stand never put my hand on fur not. but what a new exsperance

Works to some degree, don't forget to look up every now and then. Owls give new meaning to the word stealth when using a hand call.

In KY it's against the law to hunt of a night anything except coon. I wish they would change this, with all the great nitescopes available.
cursing.gif

It sounded fun to me, also. I would think the dogs would be more receptive, this there primetime of hunting. I was thinking about taking my 3 1/2" 12ga or my 10 ga. I have everything from bb's to #4 buckshot. I was leaning towards the buckshot in the 10. I am glad someone mentioned they be on you before you know it. Thought this would be the case, that was my idea with the shotgun. You guys use shotguns or rifles w/o lights? Wish we could a least use the night scopes, but by what i read in the regs thats a no go in MO. I will have to keep the 18th in mind. I only have me, myself, and I so won't be any grumping when I come in.

Theres a calling competition on the night of the 18th through the 19th. Its a 24 hour hunt. The info is in the current events forum on this site under North Missouri Jackpot Hunt or something like that. Hunting under a full moon is a blast. My buddy and I did the competition last year and only called in one pair on our first ever night hunt. Only got one but it was cool. John 56 has it right too about owls. We were using a critter quiver and a dang owl swooped right in a took it:( Luckily he landed in the tree we were under and dropped it so we got our little piece of fur back!!! But yeah, definitly check out that contest. Theres money involved:)

When I lived in WI I hunted like this more than during the day with very good luck. With a hand call call owls are a problem, the talons look very large near your face. Pick out your stands in the light and sneak in after dark when the moon comes out.

I'm in missouri and hunt the full moon when we have snow. They seem to be a lot more vocal and easier to all in at these times, but I have a heck of a time putting them down. One of the problems I have had is that the horizontal crosshair blends into the horizon if you are on flat ground. Getting slightly elevated helps this. I also bought a scope with an illuminated dot but haven't gotten to put it into action yet.

Have to check out the North MO Night Hunt didn't notice it. Rascal what acope are you using? Tru-Glo or Bushnell Fire Fly? So is everyone using rifles or are some of you using shotguns? Give a poll curious. My 835 has glo sights thought this would be a good choice, but sounds like some of you are using rifles.

I went a couple weeks ago during the full moon on snow here in S. Missouri. Had a blast. Made 7 stands and called coyotes on every stand. Scared several off. Missed a couple. Buddy missed one. Killed one. They are easier to call at night. More scattered out hunting than during the day. Just as cagey at night though. Make a boo boo and they are out of there. Having two people helps. Get hid the same as in the daytime. You should take a caplight or some such small light with you to track them with. Mine I shot with #4 buck ran about 75 yards before giving it up. I look forward to going again if the snow is on when the moon is full. Good luck.

Last edited:
I don't know about MO but up North with snow you can hunt more nights than full moon. Clear nights with a Full moon are the best for a rifle with a good scope. Try a turkey call and decoy at night.

In my area of MN I hunt every full mooon usually plenty of light 4 days prior to 4days after full moon Its a blast the coyotes around here are very nocturnal hard to hunt during the day. The main thing is make sure you have good open visibility from the direction you are expecting them to come. dont set up in thick cover try to lure them out into an open field "you can see a coyote over 500 yards away on a full moon, they stick out like a sore thumb here in the snow. Ditches and fencelines produce well in this area. If you hunt in cover have your back to a tree and definately use a shotgun in cover. For rifle hunting in the open on a full moon night Trijicon scopes are Awesome with the ill. Dot.

Thanks, for the feedback on the #4 buckshot and other boo-boos a person would make out the first trip. I will have to dig out my son's coon light hope the cells are still good. On the 2 guys it works good in daylight it should be the same at night, probably more so. All i will have to do is get my hunting buddy convinced to go out all night or least when the moon is up. Looking forward to it.

Looked for the North MO night hunting contest haven't found it yet.

Later this month when you guys go out don't forget to start a post on this, if u don't i will for sure.

I've hunted many times with just the moon light and had good results. I hunt one ranch of 2300 acres about 10 miles from town. With solid cloud cover we get enough of the city lights reflected off the clouds to give plenty of light to hunt by too. Dale

We live for the full moon here.There always seems to be snow on the ground this time of year up here.I have done this for years with a 3-9x44 scope and even on cloudy moon lit nights you can see a long way.Heavy duplex reticle is all I have needed otherwise,although a illuminated reticle would be nice too.There definately seems to be more activity after dark here so.....

Midwest hunters have you saw or heard the weather. Midwest for as NC MO is going to warm up into the low to mid 30's Fri. and into the low 40's from Sat. on into the 18-20th. Of course this long range forcasting. Here i am wishing for cold weather.

I tried it once, but didn't call up anything. Just make sure you know what you are shooting now that furbearer season is out, if any houses are around, you may wind up shooting someone's dog. Use a shotgun with improved or modified choke. You can also use electronics at night as well.....no lights.

Back