Wildcat loads on coyotes, 22-243 Mid.,Ackleys,6mm-284,etc.

StrongBowman

Want to start a good discussion on this. Looking at a couple different wildcat calibers to chamber in a barrel for my Encore for coyotes.Working with some stats and talking with some custom barrel makers on a couple different calibers and am wanting to be able to shoot a higher BC bullet to develop a "point and shoot load" in 60-70 grain varmint bullets. That itself will start a discussion on its on. Looking at a reload i can zero in at 300 yds and not have to be concerned with elevation or windrift adj out to 350-400 yds in a 22-243 Middlestead/Ackley, 22-250 or 243 Ackly, 6mm-284, or similiar. Actually i am leaning a slight for the latter. My goal is to push my load out to at least 4000 fps and have some loads for 70 grain 6mm-284 at 4150 fps. Have talked with one guy who favors the 6mm-284 because it is so easy to do, no fireforming.

With those kind of numbers it would be really tough. Your best bet with a 6mm to get the numbers your looking for would probably the 243 catbird. Its overbore, and hard on barrels. If it were me I would go with 22-243 ackly with a 1-8 twist.

StrongBowman, if you are wanting to shoot long range, then get away from a Encore platform.

There are issues with the hinge pin, and lock up that will cause some very serious accuracy issues.

Get a bolt action from a pawn shop of your favorite choice just to start.

By the way, if you are wanting to lean on the pressure curve, you darn sure don't want an Encore or any break open.

I hope this will save you a lot of money.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanStrongBowman, if you are wanting to shoot long range, then get away from a Encore platform.

There are issues with the hinge pin, and lock up that will cause some very serious accuracy issues.

Get a bolt action from a pawn shop of your favorite choice just to start.

By the way, if you are wanting to lean on the pressure curve, you darn sure don't want an Encore or any break open.

I hope this will save you a lot of money.

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From the numbers you quoted... You will be very hot on any case.

Guys, thanks for the input. My originial thought was leaning towards the 22-243 Ackley with either the 1-8/9 twist with a 60-65 grain varmint bullet. On the Encore idea was trying to stay on the cheap side. Ackley man you are correct on the hinged guns. I have played with my Contenders and Encore and do not get the accuracy that i think a firearm should produce. I have a 308 Savage Striker and a XP-100 in Fireball and get good groups at 100 yards, expecially the XP. Actually in the calibers that i shoot in my contender 22K-Hornet, 7-30 Waters, 30 Herret i get reasonable groups at 100 yds. I here people claim they can do this and that with there Contenders/Encores out to 200-300yds but after doing alittle quizzing they are shooting bench guns. The idea of buying cheap gun 4 the action had crossed my mind. Had not considered the pawn shops. This is a project i can work with and don't have 2 have yesterday. Strong

I know i am going to be hot on the barrel and cases and the posts on this is correct. My theory on this is I am not going to take it out to a PD town and run 500 rds @ day through it. If i shoot 100 rounds @ yr down er at coyotes i am really going to be hoofing the hills of NC MO. But who says i might just do that with something i have built myself. With the components yu can get today, u can do a lot of work yourself, anyway i have always been able to do most of my own w/o hiring a smith. Will have to order the barrel drilled. Midway USA is out my backdoor helps. Know a guy there and we are both gun loonies. But anyone on this site probably will fall in that group!!!!!! You think. Strong Have a good one.

So im guessing its a no go on a 17-50BMG
17laughjpg.jpg

How many grain bullet are u using? Getting about what 6500-8000 fps. This would pretty much inplode a coyote. No skinning or guttng necessary. U think. Thanks 4 the humor. Send me a 5 shot group at 600 yds if you can find the target. Strong

Actually a 35 grain v-Max, 204.8 grains of Varget, Whinchester Primers, and get about 9000 fps. BTW this what my yote looks like
sFi_annihilate1.gif

Last edited:
Hi

I am using a 243AI whith 65-75gr Vmax in the last 6years and am too now considering a CHeetah or Middlestead. Looking to use 60-70gr bullets in it and wonder if you people can help with the twist and other funnies on the way to go?

On the other side, can a 6mm Rem Ackley do much better then the 243AI?

Just wondering.

I just finished my 6mm/284 and load a 75gr V-Max over 58gr of H-1000. If my Chrony is correct I get a 362yd max PBR on coyote size animals(based on a 3" vital) when zeroed at 310yds.The bullet is screaming at 3865fps
blink.gif

l_6bd5573af91640a988b2dea283de3623.jpg

finstr, thanks for the reply on the 6mm-284. Noticed the Vanguard action. How old is action? I have a very early vanguard (in fact the 1st year they where produced early 70's) with the dominant high gloss finish on barrel and stock in 270 and is an exceptional shooter. This action doesn't look like it has a high gloss as mine. I bought a vanguard last year in a 300 WSM, bought it cheap, and was not satsified with accuracy traded for a Ruger all weather. I guess what i am getting at is did you change the trigger out on yours or was the action a earlier model. What caliber did you start out with? Looks like you stayed with the sporter barrel and stock confirg for a carry rifle. How is the accuracy and i am sure she's letal on dogs and deer as well.

Tafjak, have been considering a 22-243 AI myself and have been visiting with a custom barrel maker and visiting with others. As to an earlier post by taylormade posted and who I have been talking to...go with the 1-8 twist and no slower than 1-9. Talk to however is going to make your barrel and he/she will be able to help advice you.

This is a newer action approx 3yrs old. I put a Timney in it 'cuz the factory trigger was awful. It's a short action that started out as a 243win. Now it's a 29" barrel from E.R.Shaw. The scope is a 3.5-10x44 Conquest with the Rapid-Z600 reticle. I have an Axiom stock on it now and really like it. Next will be a white tape job to hide it from the coyotes...
blink.gif

l_9a85b79eb948418c90b17be0d407dc6a.jpg

Last edited:
Let me say I am a huge 6mm/284 fan!!! Let me also tell you DO NOT get one built on the encore platform. I have tried twice and the extractor will not reliably work on the encore with the semi rebated rim of the 284 case. I struggled with my custom shop encore barrels for two years only to realize if you want relibility you have to load to 243 ballistics to get reliable extraction. These are just my personal findings and in no way am I any type of gun guru.

If I was to build another wildcat(and I just might in the very near future) I would start out with a Stevens 200 rifle. They are a Savage action and barrel for around $300. If you bought a 243win you could just rechamber it to a 6mm/284 and probly still be under $500. Just an idea.....
crazy.gif

That is a thought and not a bad one at that on the Stevens. I have looked around to buy a beater or just an action and i was looking at over the $300 mark. I have seen a few Stevens at gun shows and stores. Didn't think they were too bad and i did notice the accu-trigger, some of the Stevens had with and some not. If I am going too make something custom so to speak i probably restock with Hogue or similiar with aluminum bedding partial or all of it. How much does your gun weigh w/o or w/scope? Assumed that you changed out the trigger. The one I bought and traded off was a dog. Nicest words i can say about it. I was really disappointed with after how decent my other Vanguard is.

Back