Hey dad what's a redneck?

guess

Okay guys this is a true story! My son talon 9 years old came in the other night out of the 8 degree weather and deep snow. After bird hunting all day with his BB gun and asks the ultimate question. "dad what's a redneck"? I looked at him and said; son go look in the mirror! his reply was DAAAAAD seriously.
So it tried to explain to him what a redneck is and it got me to thinking about some of his adventures. thought I'd share some old pics.
Feel free to share your little redneck pics.
How's this for a redneck outfit.
talon_fishing_3-14-08.jpg

perch jerkin' with his grandpa, see it's genetics!
Talon_and_grandpa_perch_9-27-08.jpg

talon with a wild caught hog.
talon_pig_8-15-08.jpg

Here he is barefoot with a brace of rabbits. Is that redneck or what?
Talon_Rabbits_9-4-2010.jpg

He's 22 now and not nearly as cute...

Joshs_Bluegill.jpg

First Deer...

JB1cover.JPG

The other one - 19 now...

Trevor.jpg

Never do this... you will clean perch until you don't want to see another one for a long long time!

Perch_Trip.jpg

cool.gif
My best walking/talking personification of a 'redneck' is either Larry THE CABLE GUY, or TOBY KEITH when he is entertaining our troops!

From what I have heard, "redneck" used as a derogatory adjective is analogous to the "N" word which is a hot potato in polite conversation.

I supervised the Probation of a young black man who has killed an Army SGT. in front of his wife @ a cafe in Yuma, Arizona. The SGT. allegedly called this young janitor by employment the "N" word in front of his wife. The Probationer hit him in the head and this blow killed that US Army soldier. You can bet it was a hot potato for me, too! I had to drive from Florence, Arizona to Yuma to testify in his Probation Violation Hearing in the Old Territorial Courthouse in Yuma. He had got into a fight in front of the VFW Hall on a Saturday night after I had given him permission to travel to Yuma to get a part for his car.

He was granted continuing Probation Supervision in Pinal County living with his in laws but it was a headache for all concerned.

I think he probably does not use the "N" word in mixed company much anymore!

Good hunting!
thumbup1.gif

Glen, In answer to your son's question...

The actual term "Redneck' stems from a time when the big coal companies were attempting to break the threat of union organization by the coal miners in the Virginias and Kentucky...

The militant miners used the red bandanas for easy identification of each other durng the shooting war that ensued...

Over the years it has transposed or been applied to those people that;

1) very seldom cut their hair until late Spring and then go to the barber shop and get their moneys worth by getting a 'bowl' cut and their neck gets sunburned for awhile... and

2) applied to a social type that tends to resist the efforts of normal civilized customs generally applied by the government to establish social control...

Originally Posted By: guessI think #2 best fits my family.

We wear the name like a badge of honor.
lol.gif

Glenn, if the way you conduct yourself and the manner in which you raise your children and look over your household is being a "RedNeck" ..... then By God I'll be PROUD to be considered as one.
thumbup1.gif

In my opinion I would say that's a fine looking boy being raised the right way. With a great appreciation for mother nature and knowing his place in it. Too many young men don't get that any more.

Same goes for the rest of you that posted photos of your now grown kids. Mine are going to be 11 and 9 this year. Each has their own guns and atv. They both love to shoot, ride, canoe, camp, fish, you name it. I wouldn't have it any other way.

If they choose to be urbanites later in life that is their choice. I know they won't have the country in them as much as I, but I can't help but try to let them see what it's like.

A couple of years ago, Mrs. CB and I had the pleasure of having lunch with the Guess family. I can attest on a first hand basis they are a great bunch. Remember too, Talon has to put up with all those older sisters.
smile.gif

Any dad would be proud, redneck or not. Thanks Glenn.

thumbup1.gif
Since I have been told I was a Red Neck a few years ago, thought it would be good to post the dictionary definition:

n. Offensive slang

1. Disparaging term for a member of the white rural laboring class especially in the southern United States.

2. A white person regarded as having a provincial, conservative or bigoted attitude.

Quote:Okay guys this is a true story!

That right there is the first clue.

When a fella starts off his story with an assertion like that (provable or not), he is most likely a redneck, at least if he lives in Texas.

Of course in Glenn's case, we can pretty much be assured that any kids he's involved with will be corrupted and turned to redneck tendencies.

CAN WE HELP?

Originally Posted By: ExpertMarksman
thumbup1.gif
Since I have been told I was a Red Neck a few years ago, thought it would be good to post the dictionary definition:

n. Offensive slang

1. Disparaging term for a member of the white rural laboring class especially in the southern United States.

2. A white person regarded as having a provincial, conservative or bigoted attitude.

Yep, that be me.

thumbup.gif
I came by my red neck qualities honestly: my old Uncle Allie A. Askew was a FT workaholic and a PT alcoholic, worked a coal mine back into the side of the mountain on the south side of his land in Latimer County, OK, kept his own cattle, had his initials AAA carved into the stock of his pre-94' Model lever action Winchester, knew where most of the stills were in the San Bois Mountains near Robbers Cave, and Askew Hollow probably was named for his family.

Both his sons served in WW II 'for the duration', one in the ETO and the other augmenting the Marines on Guadacanal!

One of his favorite sayings was "rougher than a cob" and one of his son's daughters went off to New York City to become a 'writer' after selling everything she owned to get there, and the very first book Rilla Askew got printed was all about Red Oak, Oklahoma and the title was "Strange Business".

I am PROUD to be a Red Neck and a descendant of good Red Necks who pretty much always work for a living, except for Uncle Arch but he was 'tiched' you know

Most of my music CD's are Toby Keith and I actually like being a Red Neck!

Good hunting!
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Back