1 coyote on Thursday, 5 coyotes on Saturday, PICS

derbyacresbob

Thursday I had two stands that I had a coyote come within shotgun range. I got the first one but the second one got away.
IMG_2995.jpg

This is the first one that came in.
IMG_2997.jpg

Here is another picture of the first one.
IMG_3012.jpg

This is the one that got away.

On Saturday jp7mag and I went out early and I shot one when we were traveling between our 2nd and 3rd stands. It was pretty slow for us until about 1;00 pm.

We were doing a shotgun stand, sitting in the shade of a juniper right beside a ranch road. After the CS-24 had been playing for about 10 minutes I noticed some ravens circling over a thick patch of junipers about 100 yards away on the side of a hill. A few minutes later I saw a coyote leaving the thick junipers and it was slowly headed our way through the brush.
IMG_3034.jpg

This is where I saw the coyote pop out into view about 40 yards away. I switched the CS-24 to Vole Squeaks but the coyote did not move. So I slowly reached down for my shotgun and shot him right where he was when I took the above picture.

IMG_3036.jpg

This is where we had the CS-24 and Jack Attack Decoy.

On our way home I got one more drive by coyote that paid way too much attention to the mouse he was after.

We decided to do one more stand at about 4:30 pm at a spot that has been good to me over the years. It was in some pretty flat country with a good spot to hide the truck. We only had to walk about 80 yards to make our stand. I was laying down with my shotgun and jp7mag was backing me up with the rifle. I had Prairie Dog in Distress going on full volume for about 7 minutes. I lowered the volume to change sounds and looked back up to double check for coyotes and I saw some movement. At a little over 100 yards away I saw a coyote headed our way. Then I saw another one with two more just to the side of it. We had four coyotes heading our way at a steady trot.

Two of them were in front of the 3rd one and the 4th one was bringing up the rear. When the front two got to about 40 yards away I started watching the 3rd one. My plan was to shoot the 3rd one first then go after the closer two coyotes. My plan did not work.
confused.gif
The 3rd one turned to my right just as it got to about 50 yards away. I looked back at the front two and they had stopped at about 35 yards so I sat up and shot one of them. I emptied my gun on the 2nd one while it was running off and jp7mag was shooting at it also.
I hit my number 1 preset which is Coyote Pup Screams on volume 40. The 3rd coyote that went to my right came back looking towards the the Coyote Pup Screams, you could tell he wanted to stop to get a better look. Then I hit my number 3 preset which is Coyote Pup Distress 3 on volume 40. The coyote stopped as soon as he heard the different pup distress sound. jp7mag nailed the standing coyote within a few seconds after it stopped.
IMG_3042.jpg

So we got 5 coyotes on Saturday but we only got 3 of them by calling them in. It was still a fun day.

Last edited:
congrats, great pics and write-up...i like how you always have some live pics..takes alot of control to snap a pic at that time instead of snapping the safety off!

Great pictures, as always Bob.

Quote:So I slowly reached down for my shotgun and shot him right where he was when I took the picture.

That kind of shooting can get expensive, especially with a shotgun. How did you keep from wacking the foxpro and decoy?

(edit) after reading it again, I was confused with where the coyote was when you shot him.

Last edited:
Sweet post. Great photos. We got a snow storm & my day was forced on hold. Next week, can't wait till next week!

Originally Posted By: 300magmancongrats, great pics and write-up...i like how you always have some live pics..takes alot of control to snap a pic at that time instead of snapping the safety off!

+1 with .300magman.....I don't think I have the patience,to snap a photo first, then reach for the trigger..I would think that they are going to hear the shutter click. Well done...

Hey Bob,

It sure sounds like everything I taught you is coming into focus. (Yeah Sure!)

Great job on the Calif. yotes. Send a few my way; its been a bit slow lately.

Rustydog

Thanks for the post and pics. That sure is some neat country you are calling. Oh how it would be nice to be able to hunt yotes without 2 feet of snow to hike through.

Back