INSANITY

sweatybetty

this country has gone to pelosi

entire article here

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/03/vir...stic-spitballs/

Virginia Teen Suspended, Facing Criminal Charges for Shooting Plastic Spitballs in School

By Diane Macedo

Published February 03, 2011

The family of a Virginia teen suspended for the remainder of the school year for shooting plastic "spitwads" at students in the hallway is targeting the school district's zero-tolerance policy, claiming that it's "criminalizing childish behavior."

Andrew Mikel II, a freshman honor student at Spotsylvania High School who also is active in Junior ROTC, is filling an appeal to be reinstated and have his record cleared after school officials suspended him for using what appeared to be the hollow body of a pen to blow small plastic balls at three students during his lunch period last December.

The 14-year-old initially was hit with a 10-day suspension, but the Spotsylvania County School Board later voted to extend the punishment for the rest of the school year, citing the Student Code of Conduct's requirement that a student found with "any type of weapon, or object used to intimidate, threaten or harm others" be "expelled for a minimum of 365 days" unless "special circumstances exist.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/03/vir.../#ixzz1D2eqtJAC

I wonder what the idiots of the Zero Tolerance stuff would do if that kind of dicipline was applied to them for foolish reasons, like cussing or breaking wind in a public place? No exceptions ! Just wondering.

If the kid was a poor student would we still believe the punishment ridiculous. I have to imagine the hard plastic projectiles were painful to the 'victims'.

Have to agree with Leon, this statement -
Quote:"any type of weapon, or object used to intimidate, threaten or harm others" be "expelled for a minimum of 365 days" unless "special circumstances exist.

Is waaaay to open and leaves entirely too much to interpretation. Technically, according to this rule, the school board's decision would be correct to the letter of the law. However justice does not always prevail in accordance with "letter of the law" there are times one must exercise discretion in jurisprudence.

While it is sad that the school board went that far off the wall with punishment, I found the following totally unbelievable...
Quote:
The district also referred the case to the Spotsylvania Sheriff's Office, which charged him with three counts of misdemeanor assault.

As result Mikel entered a diversion program – which includes community service and substance abuse and anger management counseling – to avoid prosecution, but his father says his damaged record has shattered his hopes of attending the U.S. Naval Academy after graduation.

and...

Quote:Citing the school's 'zero tolerance' policy, Assistant Principal Lisa Andruss at a December 21 disciplinary hearing said that Mikel presented a danger and that the boy's behavior was indicative of a trend because he was disciplined in seventh grade for shooting rubber bands with a ruler and suspended for three days in 8th grade for bringing a comb to school that resembled a pocket knife, his father said.

All I can say is, it's a [beeep] good thing I grew up when I did, or I'd have probably gotten life in prison for my minor school infractions.
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: HunterBear71If the kid was a poor student would we still believe the punishment ridiculous. I have to imagine the hard plastic projectiles were painful to the 'victims'.

Personally I'd find this ruling far fetched regardless. Suspended from school for a year, 3 assault charges, community service, substance abuse and anger management counseling, over plastic pellets in a spitball gun... That's ridiculous, I don't care who you are!! The fact that this kid is an honor student and they are destroying his chances of attending the Naval Academy over a spitball, simply drives this one over into the totally assassine range.

Quote:If the kid was a poor student would we still believe the punishment ridiculous. I have to imagine the hard plastic projectiles were painful to the 'victims'.

24.gif
24.gif
24.gif

I can only hope that you are just trying to jerk our chains, baiting us in order to get a reaction HB.

Quote:(If he) went up and punched a student right in the face he would only have gotten five days suspension and even if he'd drawn blood the school resource officer said police still wouldn't have gotten involved."

As I said before, idiocy and idiotic.

We need to kill the government indoctrination system dead. Let these idiot administrators try to find a job in a private school where the customers (parents) ultimately make the decisions.

Quote:We need to kill the government indoctrination system dead. Let these idiot administrators try to find a job in a private school where the customers (parents) ultimately make the decisions.
Quote:The 14-year-old initially was hit with a 10-day suspension, but the Spotsylvania County School Board later voted to extend the punishment for the rest of the school year,
Looks like the problem here is the school board, who are elected by the community including the parents.

Maybe the kid could try not assaulting his classmates and see how that works for him. It is all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Shooting at others is unacceptable behavior.

"Assualt", "losing an eye", "shooting" OMG do you smoke crawdads Jethro?

Now thats funny, I don't care where your from thats funny.

T2G

Get real HB. Do you really think "unacceptable behaviour" warrants a year's suspension and a criminal record?

Next time he needs to just kick the crap out of them. The penalty for that is only 5 days suspension and involves no police involvement.

Idiocy and idiots.

Just kill the whole system and give parents vouchers and tax credits to send their kids to whatever school they want.

And we wonder why our kids are screwed up. This is unbelievable. What part of the gene pool are these people from? Is Nancy Pelosi the head of the school board? This is so ridiculous it makes me want to vomit.

cool.gif
Think you might have a good idea there! Here in Oklahoma where the 'wind comes right behind the rain' one of our school boards re-instituted the dread corporal punishment!! To me, that means a Marine with stripes on his sleeve and a last name of Punishment!

Have personally viewed/ seen the strong and instant effect of "Cpl. Punishment". To say the very least, he works! As a School Resource Officer, I witnessed the results of an entire school system unable to 'effectively' discipline the 'students'.

Funny thing though about these Alternative Schools is that....you guessed it...they are staffed in large part by Drill Instructors and former Infantry Commanders.....and the reward for the students who shape up is that they are allowed to learn FM-25-5, the Manual of Arms, and march in parades in formation!

Hoooooooooah!

WE.................need to figure out a way..................to ....breed...NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND with RACE TO THE TOP to come up with a realistic set of Policies and People..who can work with either end of this spectrum!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HunterBear71If the kid was a poor student would we still believe the punishment ridiculous. I have to imagine the hard plastic projectiles were painful to the 'victims'.

If you are ever in Utah come and shoot me with a pellet gun, one of those plastic bb shooting guns or even a paintball gun.

I guarantee all of them are more "painful" than a plastic spit-wad.

A 14 year old boy is a 14 year old boy. Heck I am 31 now and remember sixth grade kids throwing the paper darts at us forth graders with needles in the tips from 2 feet away.

Making-the-paper-darts.jpg

Kids are kids with out playing the poor kid card. Yes my family was poor as well.

Originally Posted By: NM Leon
Just kill the whole system and give parents vouchers and tax credits to send their kids to whatever school they want.

Don't they already do that?

Quote:

Quote:Don't they already do that?

Nope, or more correctly only to a very limited extent and only in some states. The teachers unions have incredible control and political influence.

That's (hopefully) going to change here pretty soon because of the economic realities that the states are coming very close to having to face.

Stupid. Nothing really surprises me anymore though. If I faced expulsion everytime I got caught shootin a spit ball across the room, I would have never made it out of elementary school. What needs to happen is, the principal says: Boy, get to my office... then he gets is butt paddled, just like I used to. I can assure you, It'll make a beleiver out of you without costing you a loss to your school credit/college resume. If that dosen't work, then you could start sending them home, but not permanantly. Dang morons are running everything.

Last edited:
This kid should just write a book about the monumental stupidity displayed by this school board and the people who support this decision. He could retire!!! This is nothing but an abuse of authority. Instead of 'poor student' try thinking of him as 'your' student and see if that makes any difference. Then there is the 3 day suspension for a COMB that resembled a pocket knife. Why stop with a book when the kid can sell the story to Hollywood. How about "Stupid and Stupider" for the title? It certainly fits! Do the words Power and Corruption ring any bells? The problem with the "zero tolerance" policy is that in cases like this one the punishment far exceeds the crime! An old fashioned paddling seems more appropiate in a school than calls to the sheriff's office!

This story makes me thankful my 'perfect' kids are out of school!!!-----Ben Jimmy

Back