sticks N limbs

Todd,

This happens to be a subject I've one a lot of research on. I'm not familiar with the sticks and limbs camo pattern, do they have a website? What I can say is that neutral, earth tone colors with open and vertical patterns are far more effective than "traditional stick and leaf camo patterns." I performed a field test a few years ago with various patterns from Mossy Oak and Realtree/Advantage. In every setting, i.e., against a tree trunk, against a brushpile, in open grasses, and in a tree, Mossy Oak Shadowgrass outperformed everything. This whole notion of light, open, vertical patterns started a few years ago with a company called Natgear. They are definitely right. Stick and leaf patterns get too black at a distance and stick out like a terd in a tater salad. Predator camo is just one of the companies starting to capitalize on this science. The problem for many of these companies is that they are so small, their product offering is somewhat limited. I like to be able to go from fall to winter to spring with one pattern that is available in several garments to handle all weather conditions. By the way, the Shadowgrass won every experiment in all three seasons. These smaller companies are just not going to be able to offer weatherproof clothing in the near future. Now, with all of this being said, camo is only one piece of the puzzle, and there are many successful hunters out there who don't wear camo at all. But my opinion is, if I'm going to try and conceal myself with camo, I'm going to use what I believe is the best. I believe that Shadowgrass, Predator Camo, and Natgear are all excellent. Stay away from anything that is too dark. All you need to do is to view a garment with Breakup or Advantage patterns and at fifty yards and more, these patterns are too dark. Hope this helps.

Blake

My all time favorite was the old old origional ASAT. The first few years of ASAT used a nice light brown/tan for its background color, then they started to use a darker more brown than tan background color, wasn't as good but still better than the others. I wish that I had gotten many sets of the old origional, but ASAT has always been very expensive.

Calypso,

That's the main point isn't it? It seems as if there are several camo companies out there with good ideas, but they don't have the financial support or marketing skills necessary to expand their product line beyond a regional level, nor the ability to contract with companies like Columbia or Browning. Skyline is another prime example. Natgear was the first company I heard to actualy back their product up with science, even though there might have been a few other companies utilizing open, vertical patterns. For that matter, Mossy Oak Original, Realtree Original, and Trebark all started off with vertical patterns, albeit dark and tight. I was on the phone with the product development manager and the national sales director of Mossy Oak today discussing their New Shadowgrass, and I was voicing my disappointment, at least in the pictures I've seen. They are sending me a pair of pants and shirt to try out, largely as a gesture because they sponsored me twice in the World Duck Calling Championship. But they have made it clear that their largest target audience is deer hunters, and they believe that deer hunters want stick and leaf camo patterns. As I've said before, a simple field test of viewing the various camo patterns at various distances, among various backgrounds is the only way to tell for sure which patterns excel in these conditions. Is there a perfect camo? I don't think so, but Shadowgrass is the closest thing I've seen so far. As a disclaimer, I have not had the opportunity to test in desert conditions or the Pacific Northwest, other than that I have most of the bases covered. So until a company like Natgear, Predator, or ASAT is able to break through, most of us will either have a limited selection in these patterns, or we'll have to go with a pattern that was primarily developed for deer hunters, with predator hunters second in mind. Camo, in my opinion, is kind of like a confidence bait for a tournament bass fisherman. I guess we'll keep looking for that perfect pattern...

Blake

I've been a Predator Camo fan for about 5 years now. It is all I wear when I am not wearing a Ghillie Suit, and even under that I wear the Predator Camo long sleve T Shirts and Pants. I use 4 basic camo patterns. Spring Green, Fall Brown, Fall Grey and Winter White. I tried a Deception Jacket this year but I think it is just too dark. Maybe if you are sitting in the deep woods against some fallen timber it will be OK, but for the most part it didn't make me feel as comfortable as the other patterns.

Some cautions about the Predator cotton camo from PredatorCamo.com. It shrinks. A lot. The workmaship on mine is fine. It has held up well and has not faded too much. If you get Fall Grey, you will feel funny the first time you wear it into the woods in the late fall, but you will find that you just disapear with it on, especially in a tree stand. The Fall Brown is great for on the ground, as is the Spring Green, but the Spring Green also works in tree stands very well. The winter white is also a great patten. I've taken to wearing mostly the coveralls which are around $110 each. Add a head net for another 10 bucks and a pair of glove and you will be all set. Be aware that the Coveralls are a quite heavy material so they get hot in the spring and early fall. An other company that sells Predator Camo is Day One Camo. They have a few different articles of clothing that you might like.

I have been very happy with my Predator Camo. I've tried a lot of other patterns and this one seems to work the best for me in the areas I hunt.

Hey Blake,

I guess I don't take this nearly as seriously as you do. My only point was that Natgear was not the first as you stated......

Good Hunting,

Bob

I didn't mean to start a fight.....just wanted to know about these patterns. It would be nice if they made a waterproof version of these, why wouldn't gore-tex want to deal with every company that wanted to by their product? I think I'm going to order the snow sticks-n-limbs or predator camo's snow pattern for winter yote hunting.

Calypso,

Shoot me an e-mail with your phone # or e-mail address. I'm working on something that you might want to help me on.

Blake

Hey Todd,

No one is fighting here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Blake is making some very good points in his comments. A lot of the camo out there today is designed for the hunter's taste and what looks cool.....the flavor of the day, if you will. Some patterns definitely work better than others. A lot of guys called a lot of coyotes before there was any camo to speak of. It is far more important to be able to keep still. Gerry Blair even sat out in the open in a Santa suit and called coyotes in just to illustrate this point. With that said, I do wear camo almost all of the time when calling. I also make sure my face and hands are covered. If you can see the small white breast of a bird or a white butterfly at 600-800 yards, so can a coyote......

Blake,

I will send you a message with my contact info. You have my curiosity aroused?

Good Hunting,

Bob

Back