Best "starter" kits for a novice

BradB41

I'm thinking about getting into reloading. I see lots of kits in Midway, Cabelas, Natchez, etc....I was wondering what you guys would recommend.

I know a lot of times people try to get in on the cheap and wind up wasting money on entry level junk only having to buy better stuff on down the road. Any recommendations?

what are you looking to spend? when midway had the lyman crusher 2 expert kit i bought that for 289. but soon after that i started buying new toys because my neighbor was like you will want this even though u dont need it so i bought the rcbs trim mate, rcbs chargemaster 1500. you will also need a tumbler. if you wan to skip everything that i did check out this kit

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-and-RCBS-Rock-Chucker-Supreme-Deluxe-Reloading-Kit/740928.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D80%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Drcbs%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchall%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Drcbs%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=rcbs&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I got the RCBS kit, not the real expensive one with the Chargemaster, but the next one down. The only thing I got right away that was not in the kit was a powder trickler, and of course the dies and shell holder that I needed for the rounds I wanted to reload. I got it a year ago and have been happy with it, but I am still a novice. I am going to have to buy a case trimmer very soon. You will find that as you gain experience, there will be things you will want to purchase to make the process easier and more convenient.

I think that you are going to get a lot of opinions, as you always do when it comes to any discussion about different types of brands. From what I have read, I think it also comes down to what type of shooting you are going to do. I am quite happy with my RCBS cause I am happy with my 5 shot groups, even though they are not always dime sized. They are far better than I ever got with factory ammo. I'm happy, but I think there are better set ups than my standard press and standard dies for those wanting to do serious competition.

If you are going to do serious competition, then there are a lot of guys on this site that can give you very good advise. If you are an average shooting, like myself, then I think any of the kits that are made by any of the major manufacturers would do fine.

If I could be rolling on about $500 I'd be happy. If you can only get junk in that price range I'd spend more.

I'm just considering reloading for hunting and plinking and better accuracy in both of those applications. Hopefully it will be cost effective.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BradB41If I could be rolling on about $500 I'd be happy. If you can only get junk in that price range I'd spend more.

I'm just considering reloading for hunting and plinking and better accuracy in both of those applications. Hopefully it will be cost effective. Here ya go Brad! No junk here,and it will get ya going with good equipment! Ron http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000157810120

Brad, I went to Cabelas about a month ago and came home with this setup after doing alot of research on this site. I think I'm going to be very pleased, but have no experience with it yet. I'm still reading all my loading manuals and want to be completely comfortable before I start. But I will say, you can spend some dough in a hurry if wanting to load for multiple calibers. I think it will quickly pay for itself with todays ammo prices!
IMG_1884.jpg
IMG_1891.jpg

Originally Posted By: rks1949Originally Posted By: BradB41If I could be rolling on about $500 I'd be happy. If you can only get junk in that price range I'd spend more.

I'm just considering reloading for hunting and plinking and better accuracy in both of those applications. Hopefully it will be cost effective. Here ya go Brad! No junk here,and it will get ya going with good equipment! Ron http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000157810120

Lawrenceville? I'll be darn...Hamilton County here. Thanks for the recommendation.

Brad I would go with the Rockchucker kit or you can just mix and match as you go. I went with the Lee kit and it did get me started and let me know I really liked rolling my own. So I then started upgrading, and man you can spend some cash in a hurry. Rick

Originally Posted By: rickybBrad I would go with the Rockchucker kit or you can just mix and match as you go. I went with the Lee kit and it did get me started and let me know I really liked rolling my own. So I then started upgrading, and man you can spend some cash in a hurry. Rick

Been there, done that! Brad...listen to the man(Rick)unless you have a bankroll of endless funds. And may I suggest you also purchase "The ABC's of Reloading", 8th Edition, by Bill Chevalier. It comes complete with pictures, detailed explanation and is for beginners and experts alike. Well worth the investment in helping you learn the ropes. Welcome to the world of reloading and have fun.

Yep I got the book The ABC of Reloading and found it was very helpful. I would also look at getting the Hornady DVD on reloading. If you don't have someone to apprentice off of you It never hurts to have a visual for reference. Rick

Thanks for all the suggestions. So If a guy goes with the Rock Chucker Kit, buys additional materials to reload for 4 or 5 different calibers, he's looking at at least a grand, right?

You should be able to set up for under $1000. Pick one caliber to start with (your fav) and then after you get the hang of it add in your other calibers.

Brad, don't let these starter kits fool you! There are things you will want once you get things rolling. They are a great foundation to getting started, but at a bare minimum. Glad that you have figured $1000.00 because then you won't get disappointed. It can definately be done cheaper, but if you want good equipment and are doing it for multiple calibers it's going to end up real close to that! Cool thing that I've noticed is the equipment made by the leading manufactures will hold its value, so the way I see it you will always get your money back out of it!

I've been using the Rock Chucker for about 15 yrs, and I'm very happy with it. I've been using it for my .243 and .41Mag, and will be adding the .45-70 soon.

I'm sure there's a better press out there, but I haven't found it.

Back