The cause of bullet (SPLASH) as many call it?

Mxracer532

I have done alot of reading on here on many many peoples preference on bullets for yotes. Well after the past 4 dogs I have shot with 2 different types of bullets that LOTS recomend, I would like to hear some opinions of opinions on why you get the occasional (splash).

As for my last few dogs I shot 1 with a 50gn Nosler BT at 180 yards had a baseball sized hole for entrance. (dropped in his tracks) 2nd dog I shot at a ranged 408 with a 52gn Serria matchking and dropped in its tracks with no splash. 3rd shot at 35 yards dead in the point of the shoulder with another 52gn matchking no splash and no exit just a tiny entrance that was actually hard to find, never twitched. 4th dog I shot yesterday again with the 52gn Matchking at 230 yards right in the heart didnt catch the front shoulder at all and dog had a baseball sized hole on the entrance (I actually found part of the jacket of the bullet on the hide next to the hole) Dog ran about 40 yards and was done.

Could it be that speed is a factor? Bullets traveling soooo fast that they fragment way way way to fast? All these are shot with handloads from my 22-250.

Originally Posted By: Mxracer532

Could it be that speed is a factor? Bullets traveling soooo fast that they fragment way way way to fast? All these are shot with handloads from my 22-250.

There are 3 factors that cause a bullet splash.

1. Bullet construction

2.Velocity

3. RPM's

I don't really know what is THE primary factor that cause the majority of splashes, but a lightly constructed bullet pushed very fast has a MUCH higher likelihood of splashing. Some light bullets have even been known to fragment before impact if pushed fast enough through a fast twist barrel.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: Mxracer532

1. Bullet construction

2.Velocity

3. RPM's

I don't really know what is THE primary factor that cause the majority of splashes, but a lightly constructed bullet pushed very fast has a MUCH higher likelihood of splashing. Some light bullets have even been known to fragment before impact if pushed fast enough through a fast twist barrel.

Chupa

4. location of impact

Splash occurs because the bullet was too fragile for the velocity and / or RPM that it was driven at. If you are having some that splash while other similar hits do not, then you are likely driving the bullet at about maximum velocity/rpm for the size of game that you are shooting.

Quote:As for my last few dogs I shot 1 with a 50gn Nosler BT at 180 yards had a baseball sized hole for entrance. (dropped in his tracks)

If this is a bread basket (rib) shot it's unusual on two counts. They won't normally splash hitting the ribs, and when they do splash on the surface they don't normally have any penetration to speak of.

Quote:2nd dog I shot at a ranged 408 with a 52gn Serria matchking and dropped in its tracks with no splash.

This is what you'd expect, a clean intrance through the rib area, fragmentation inside the chest cavity, and with a 53 gr .224 on a coyote, probably with no exit at all.

Quote:3rd shot at 35 yards dead in the point of the shoulder with another 52gn matchking no splash and no exit just a tiny entrance that was actually hard to find, never twitched.

Not at all unusual with a non-frangible round. If you had done a necropsy you would likely have seen that the bullet shattered the shoulder, and it and the bone fragments then traveled into the chest cavity.

Quote:4th dog I shot yesterday again with the 52gn Matchking at 230 yards right in the heart didnt catch the front shoulder at all and dog had a baseball sized hole on the entrance (I actually found part of the jacket of the bullet on the hide next to the hole) Dog ran about 40 yards and was done.

Unfortunately not completely unusual. The SMKs aren't really designed as hunting bullets, and their performance can be somewhat varied. Sometimes they act like a hunting hollow point, sometimes they don't.

Has anyone tried any of the solid copper hollow points? Like barnes TSX triple shocks to see how they perform. I also use v-max and have had several splash on coyotes also.

Originally Posted By: skb2706Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: Mxracer532

1. Bullet construction

2.Velocity

3. RPM's

Chupa

4. location of impact

To some extent I won't disagree with that. But I think that also goes back to bullet construction. If you use a TSX or a GMX it doesn't matter if you hit bone, you will not have what is called a "splash" by definition of the word. You may have a wound that resembles a splash, but it was not due to projectile failure. So, on one hand I agree but the other hand...I don't.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: viperHas anyone tried any of the solid copper hollow points? Like barnes TSX triple shocks to see how they perform. I also use v-max and have had several splash on coyotes also.

I am currently working on a load for a 55gr TSX for a coyote/smallish pig load. So far I have little luck with finding the sweet spot, but I still have high hopes.

Chupa

If you don't want to have to locate your POI to avoid splashes, try a soft point. You'll get more that run a little ways before dying, but you won't get any splashes. They also make the shoulder a very good option instead of a bad one.

Originally Posted By: NM LeonIf you don't want to have to locate your POI to avoid splashes, try a soft point. You'll get more that run a little ways before dying, but you won't get any splashes. They also make the shoulder a very good option instead of a bad one.

My point exactly. Use a heavier constructed bullet and take out the running gear. If you miss the scapula(It's really small on a coyote), the good stuff is right behind it.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: viperHas anyone tried any of the solid copper hollow points? Like barnes TSX triple shocks to see how they perform. I also use v-max and have had several splash on coyotes also.

Yes .

Used 62 gr in a fast twist .223ai. Broadside on yotes and cats always exit, little damage. Full frontal on yotes ,bullet stops at the rear. Hits HARD !

As you are experiencing with super fast rounds when properly hit they create hydraulic shock. It turns their insides to musch. Plus if the round hits a nerve it like a tzer to them.

Originally Posted By: Half crippleAs you are experiencing with super fast rounds when properly hit they create hydraulic shock. It turns their insides to musch. Plus if the round hits a nerve it like a tzer to them.

I can't help it bro, It's "Hydrostatic" shock. I knew what you meant though, it's my O.C.D kicking in.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeChupa,
I wouldn't be afraid of any size pig with a 55 TSX. Put the shot at the base of the ear and lights out.

The 62's go clean through.

I don't doubt that for a second. When I hit that accuracy node, i'll be as happy as pig eating peach seeds!!!!!!

Chupa

Quote "If you don't want to have to locate your POI to avoid splashes, try a soft point. You'll get more that run a little ways before dying, but you won't get any splashes. They also make the shoulder a very good option instead of a bad one."

I tried the 40gr VMax's for a short while recently in my .221 FB these are travelling 3400fps from a 1/12 twist and I never had a splash on any of the coyotes but I felt it was only a matter of time after these results. So I have switched to the 50gr Sierra Blitz SP. We shall see?

These are entrance wounds.

IMG_0293.jpg

This one ran over a 100yds but it was a less than ideal shot.

IMG_0298.jpg

Personally I think there are a few factors that go into whether or not a bullet will splash.

1: Velocity. Push some bullets fast enough, and they will disintegrate in the air before they hit anything. Others, when pushed fast, will fragment the instant they hit anything, resulting in a splash, when the bullet loses all its energy just inside the entrance hole.

2: Spin. I have no real good explanation for this, but it been my experience that with faster spin, come more fragmentation. I have seen this, when shooting light bullets at varmints, with two guns, same caliber, same velocity, but the one with the higher twist had noticeably more frangible bullets.

3: What it hits. From my own experience Vmax's would not splash on a broad side shot, but when they hit a solid bone like the front leg/shoulder they would almost always splash. The harder the surface a bullet hits, the more likely it is to splash.

4: and of course bullet construction. Most of the plastic tip light jacket bullets are candidates for splashes. They are made to fragment rapidly, on prairie dog sized animals, or even on the ground to avoid ricochets.

Lots of people recommend 55grn Vmax's as a good bullet out of a 22-250. I found they splashed once in a while when I used them. I would guess its a combination of abunch of things, I have a savage with a 1-12 twist where most 22-250's have a 1-14 twist. I also have a 26 inch barrel (more velocity) where most people would have a 22-24 inch. I guess this little bit extra may have been the cause, or perhaps it could be that I hunt enough that I see uncommon things happen fairly regularly, since I'm out a lot.

Back