best compact bolt gun?

I like the XCR compact better, mostly because I like the stock better. Both are accurate rifles and very popular with LEO. I wish both had slightly faster twist rates.......

Originally Posted By: getfoxySorry just saw where you were asking about a specific 2. Mu bad

Naw not sold on those two, was wanting ideas on others as well, thanks

In that case, I agree on the 7's. I have the older pre-xmark version in 7mm08 laminate. She's a beauty with accuracy to match, especially with a pencil barrel.
Originally Posted By: getfoxyI like the model 7's

Get a sps tactical find a take off LTR stock and you have an LTR without the flutes for less money if you shop around. Here is mine has an LTR stock old style trigger and will wear a Vari X II 4x12x40 whan it arrives. should weigh a little over eight pounds with scope.
2231.jpg

Last edited:
Well if you are open to new ideas here is one of the beautiful "ugly" ones

Savage Scout

My father in law has one of these in .308 and he really likes it

The only down side is it is only offered in 2 calibers right now, two years ago it was only offered in 308

Originally Posted By: mike4Get a sps tactical find a take off LTR stock and you have an LTR without the flutes for less money if you shop around.
2231.jpg

Believe this rifle is what im looking for, thanks

I run an XCR Compact. Tac. in .223 it shoots the 50gr-60gr vmax's well, my only complaint is it gets a little heavy for a carry rifle, and its muzzle heavy, could be due to the fact i put too much glass on it. also the B&C stock has an aluminum bedding block in it and my POI shifts about 3-4in from summer to winter. but it will hold .75MOA, and sometimes it will shoot .5

I'm gonna suggest the Ruger M77 Mark II Compact.I have one in a .223 and it's been a really good gun.They're pretty light so you don't have to worry about gettin worn out if you carry one a long ways or any of that kind of stuff.And it's plenty accurate so that's always a good thing too.The only thing is that the barrel is a little less than 22 or even 20 inches.

Last edited:
I just put a Remington 700 SPS Youth .308 in a B&C Medalist Alaskan Ti II stock and it makes for a nice light compact gun with the 20" barrel.

You don't mention caliber or intended use, so specific suggestions are going to be a little like getting 'shotgun' results...

My Rem 700 SPS Tactical has the older 1/12 twist .223 barrel and shoots extremely well with 60gr bullets, especially with the HS stock and good optics..The downside is that it weighs about eleven pounds..

Rem700SPSa.jpg

Had it not been for the one flier (my fault), this is one of the 200 yard groups that would have measured pretty good, as these are one inch squares...

200yard60V-Max-Rem700b.jpg

Back