The Many Sounds

vayotehunter

I have foxpro fx3 and I'm from VA. What sound or sounds do you guys have best luck with in calling foxes? I have mainly used cottontail in distress with some luck for coyotes and a bobcat but can't seem to call a fox in. Please help. Also I've primarily hunted at night so far as my work schedule doesn't allow much hunting in the day

vayotehunter,

Here are some of my favorite sounds for red fox:

Bay Bee cottontail
Adult Cottontail Distress
Snow Shoe High Pitch
Titmouse Tantrum
Nutty Nuthatch
Any of the woodpecker sounds

For Grey Fox:

Grey Fox Fight
Grey Fox Distress
Screamin Grey Fox

And, the same sounds for reds. Late season, I like to switch up the sounds to some stuff that they haven't heard before, like mad rabbit distress, etc.

Thanks for the input guys. I've been really surprised so far that I haven't called one in but I have been able to call in coyotes and a bobcat. I figured the foxes in my area were definately more plentiful. Do you guys do anything differently when you are targeting foxes specifically as opposed to what you do when you are hunting coyotes?

vayotehunter,

No, not a lot different. Are you calling the open fields, or more in thick cover? And are you targeting reds or greys? I know VA has a ton of greys.

A lot of my calling is in fields, however I have been sitting up near briar thickets and the edges of woods. We seem to have a lot of both. Depends solely on each area. My hunting club encompasses 8000 acres and some areas we have seen reds and some areas greys.

I target both at the same time. i start out with rodent and bird sounds. The bay-bee cottentail. Then i try fox sounds. If no foxes show, i start using yote sounds, like lighting jack, and coyote vocals!

Ok I appreciate the continuing advice. Generally I start out with a rabbit in distress and towards the end I may use a howl or two. Will switching sounds like that cause coyotes or foxes to get scared.

vayotehunter,

Not at all. I mix sounds up a lot on my stands. In fact, at times it seems the more sounds you go through, the better the results.

Back