Bipod vs. Sticks?

Back in the day when I had no money to purchase Harris bi-pods (not much has changed) I picked up a couple of 3/4" dowels a 2" long 1/4" bolt, a couple of washers(3) and a wing nut, I cut them to fit me when I sat on the ground and boy did my buddies give me a hard time about my cheap sticks! until they would 1 by 1 show up with sticks like mine, I have not changed the way I make them and if I lose them so what I'm out a couple bucks! you can drop them to the side if you need to and they are not to bad to carry with you, and added bonus is if your buddies give you a hard time about a shot you missed you can use them to adjust their perspecive without scratching your scope, :eek:

I think it all comes down to you shooting style. If you like to lay prone, the Harris "S" series are unbeatable.

If you like to sit, stick are better, lighter and give you more freedom.

I came to like to lay prone for calling when I was out with RedFrog, it means you don't have to worry about sitting in front of a bush and cutting your visual field in half.

For deer and other big game hunting/stalking I usually don't take anything, but tall sticks for shooting standing would be more practical.

...my 2c...

I use a set of 3/8" dowels lashed together , they are 36" long . The idea is to lash them tight enough to hold (while expanded ) but loose enough to slide ( while paralelle ) . When finished I have about 2" of lashing . I've posted this on California Predators Club forum . I've found that , with practice , I am able to use these sticks from flat to steep , and everything inbetween . Because my calling can be from river bottom or a side slope overlooking a riverbottom . The idea of having a adjustable height rest , lets me get comfortable to shoot most situations .

Back