Barrel length

Bear

I'm thinking of getting an AR rifle and am wondering barrel length to get 16,18,20,or24 inch? what do you guys think that have these barrel lengths?

i have several and i would not trade my 24's for anything. (i also have a 16 for other reasons).
you lose quite a bit of velocity with the shorter barrels, but in some situations it may not matter. i tend to shoot longer distance so i want everything i can get out of the 223. i used to take my 22-250 when i thought the shots would be long, but i am so comfortable with my ar that i seldom take anything else.

I have them at 16",20", & 22". for general hunting I'd be at 20" or below. I do like my 16" length, I think that or up to 18" would be enough. For a trip to dogtown I'll take my 22" or a 24".

Been thinkin' lately that the 18" midlenght gas guns might be the "Holy Grail" of .223 AR's...............We'll see soon, grin!

GUNBOSS

Under 200 yds. a 16 inch barrel will work just find...over 200 yards you will need the 20 inch barrel for the speed.

Originally Posted By: howardsUnder 200 yds. a 16 inch barrel will work just find...over 200 yards you will need the 20 inch barrel for the speed.

Or just shoot a Berger 70gr VLD out of an 18" from 0-600..............The 18" midlength is the best of both far as I can tell. Super handling abilities with very little velocity loss over the 20".....No need for two different uppers that I can see.

GUNBOSS

I like my 16" for shooting in the 'brushy' environments that I normally hunt, but then my shots are not really long distances...

If I were regularly shooting a lot of open country, the 18" 0r 20" would be my choices..

Is the noise level much more with the 18" over the 20 or 22" I don't use hearing protection while hunting. The reason I ask is I have a mini 14 and the noise is deafening with out ear plugs.I hunt with a 24" barrel now on a bolt gun and the noise is acceptable and I don't want a big noise increase as it will probably get left home if it is.

I find the AR much louder than a bolt rifle even if they have the same barrel length. They progressively get louder with a shorter barrel. I don't care for the noise level below 18". I could not tell a noise difference between my 18" & 20", straight barrel no flash hider or compensator.

An AR will always be louder than a bolt gun. The semi-auto action makes it inevitable.

If noise is a problem I would suggest just based on logic the longest barrel you can get with no flash hider or muzzle break, and I would really suggest electronic headphones though just so you can hear your grand babies and such.

I have 20" heavy with free float. It's a little on the heavy side, but when it comes to accuracy I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Ar in in .223 was a 20 inch bull barrel and it shot subpurb of course it was a Dtech so it may of shot just as good with all different lengths. If I recall correctly Mike recomended to me the 20 inch barrel and so there must have been a good reason.

My AR in .204 is a 23 inch barrell I discussed it with several folk on here the fact that somewhere between 21 and 24" was the optimal barrel length for powder burn for the .204. It has been pretty good acuracy wise. I have noticed the longer the barrel the less the ears ring in hunting situations.

I have a 20" ss-15 wilson and its accurate as [beeep] but heavy as [beeep] too. I am looking for a 16" or 18" light upper unit so I can actually carry it afield. I will sell the sniper upper eventually.

Back