Effects from dogs running coyotes in your areas

I dont run coyotes on purpose (although it does happen) but
there are a few guys on here that run with dogs and call. I
can't see it having that much of an effect.

Looking at your emoticon I just hope your not here to pick a fight.

good hunting
casey

i dont see how it would change anything unless the guys are calling and running the dogs at the same time. usually when im calling i sneak in as quietly as possible same thing in between stands. guys running dogs usually are driving around sight hunting? or letting hounds out to pick up yote trails?

That's like asking what affect a school bus driving down the road has on my refrigerator. I find a track, or just free cast dogs, and they find a yote and chase it around barking. Absolutely no connection at all. Maybe you should ask what affect your calling has on our running. I have never heard that conversation come up, yet time after time we have to hear about how we are hurting somebody's feelings. Well, the answer is, you aren't affecting us, and we aren't affecting you.

Jesse lackey, these idiots are by no means hurting my feelings.One of them told me that if he had to call for them
that he would not hunt them.I will tell you why he said this,he is lazy and has no clue to even begin to call a coyote.I am not trying to bash dog runners by no means.I was just asking a question.I plan on hunting these same ares
regardless of what they do.We will just have to pick our days around each other.

It has a pretty big effect around here....You can't get permission to hunt coyotes because when you mention it, the landowners all think that coyote hunting is turning a pack of dogs loose to run all over their property while the "hunters" sit in their trucks on the road with a GPS unit and wait till the coyote runs across the road....lol

Im sure there are alot of decent houndsmen out there and I meant no disrespect to anybody here.

Its gotten to be a pretty big issue around here. It's quite common for these guys, in large groups, to post all around a tract of land in their trucks and wait till they see the coyote and shoot them from the road. They turn the dogs loose and of course dogs cant read they just run all over everybody's private property.

"coyote hunting" has gotten a very bad rep because of it. Most landowners just shut you right down because of it.

Hey brian, I understand, but I wouldn't worry about it messing up your hunting. And hicker, I own and lease land so that I have a place to hunt when I want. I know that lots of other guys do the same thing. I have paid 3 different land owners $50 for one night to be able to hunt a piece of open property that connected to theirs, and not have to worry about my dogs "trespassing" on their property, and the dogs never went close to their property. If you are trying to hunt private property, there are going to be people who will say no! So instead of blaming it on everyone else, maybe you should go out and do some leg work. I have taken several land owners out hunting with me, so they could see what goes on, before they would let me hunt their land. Put in the work, and you will get the reward.

Originally Posted By: Jesse lackeyHey brian, I understand, but I wouldn't worry about it messing up your hunting. And hicker, I own and lease land so that I have a place to hunt when I want. I know that lots of other guys do the same thing. I have paid 3 different land owners $50 for one night to be able to hunt a piece of open property that connected to theirs, and not have to worry about my dogs "trespassing" on their property, and the dogs never went close to their property. If you are trying to hunt private property, there are going to be people who will say no! So instead of blaming it on everyone else, maybe you should go out and do some leg work. I have taken several land owners out hunting with me, so they could see what goes on, before they would let me hunt their land. Put in the work, and you will get the reward.

As do I....and you sure do make alot of assumptions there junior. Maybe get off the "guilty conscience" and read what I posted...lol

Where did I "blame" anything on "everybody else". I have access to more private property than I could ever possibly hunt. Around here, dogs will run a yote for miles quite often. Im very sure you would come out here and pay $50 to the 37 different adjoining landowners. You a salesman? I'm guessing the situation is quite different where you are but here, parcels average 50-100 acres....or do you run your dogs around on leashes?..lol

I'm going to leave this alone now, all I'm going to say is that I really don't think its necessary to start calling names, and try to push buttons. I have no "guilt trip" just sick of hearing people whine. If you would like to call me "junior" or anything else, drive on over and say it to my face standing on my door step.

Happy hunting boys! Jesse Lackey

I'm gonna let this run, so long as it can be a "discussion", not a big o'le pissin contest.
If you live in a place where "dogmen" are trying to run coyotes on "50 to 100 acre peices", I feel for ya.
As for dogmen making any difference in calling, it is an old wifes tale, as for callers making any difference in the dog running, that also is an old wives tale.
The only time any type of dog work affects calling, is when guys call with decoy dogs, and yotes are called into the dogs, then run out of the country, and not killed.
Not to be a jerk, but I hunt dogs , and call year round, and have for years. I know "alittle" about this subject.
If the landowners around you "hate dogmen", maybe you need to be a better "salesman", and explain to them that you only call, no use of dogs, might get your foot in the door.
I on the other hand, stake my reputation on killing every yote I can on a ranch, and make it very clear that I will use dogs, traps, snares, and spotlights to get it done.
I am welcomed with open arms, and hot coffee.
The difference is I only wanna hunt 4000 acres or more.The last thing I want is my dogs on a "little peice".
Duane

ok, i`ll chime in. i know a few callers that love to go call an area that i`ve run that day. they say that if i only kill the adult male or female in that block, it`s easy for them to go in and call the other. now on to the hound guys ruining it for other guys, that`s all i ever hear from the ny callers. i have more land to run than i could use and get more everyday. matter of fact i picked up another 2000 acres yesterday. granted i`m sure there`s a few houndsmen out there that do shady things, but there are also some callers that do the same. i guess the reason i get more land to hunt all the time is because of my reputation and the fact that we actully thin out some of the yotes on the farms. this is not to bash the callers, but they can`t control the yotes have as well as the houndsmen. the last year the the BARK AT THE MOON CONTEST let houndsmen in the contest there were 43 yotes killed, 41 by houndsmen. this year with about 100 callers in the contest they took 7 coyotes over the weekend.

sorry, back to the 1`st question. i`ve gone back many times myself and called yotes where i ran my hounds the same day.

nobody owns a coyote... so if the landowner doesn't mind hounds,sighthounds callers,shotguns,rifles,trucks,atv's,traps,snares, airplanes, ect... get it? no matter what we do we ain't gonna get rid of coyotes. there will still be here when we are long gone. there is plenty for all

I spend ton of time getting permission. Where Im told no we do not go. Many times the hounds have to be caught so they dont go into a piece of property. I dont go into a piece with a dog unless ALL the landowners say its ok. Most places i hunt have callers that hunt there. The land owners love it when we come in because we do what they want...get rid of the coyotes. To many callers are inexperienced and in turn educate the coyote not to come into the call. I know... I've done it. OH by the way we kill most of our coyotes on foot, not from the road like everyone thinks. For example this past weekend we were in a hunt. We shot 17 and 14 were shot by guys out walking in the sections. Almost always the guys walking get the shooting and the kill. We have arguments over who is going to get to walk into a piece and who stays in the truck, and nobody wants the truck!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuI'm gonna let this run, so long as it can be a "discussion", not a big o'le pissin contest.
If you live in a place where "dogmen" are trying to run coyotes on "50 to 100 acre peices", I feel for ya.
As for dogmen making any difference in calling, it is an old wifes tale, as for callers making any difference in the dog running, that also is an old wives tale.
The only time any type of dog work affects calling, is when guys call with decoy dogs, and yotes are called into the dogs, then run out of the country, and not killed.
Not to be a jerk, but I hunt dogs , and call year round, and have for years. I know "alittle" about this subject.
If the landowners around you "hate dogmen", maybe you need to be a better "salesman", and explain to them that you only call, no use of dogs, might get your foot in the door.
I on the other hand, stake my reputation on killing every yote I can on a ranch, and make it very clear that I will use dogs, traps, snares, and spotlights to get it done.
I am welcomed with open arms, and hot coffee.
The difference is I only wanna hunt 4000 acres or more.The last thing I want is my dogs on a "little peice".
Duane

As far as dogs affecting the "calling", I agree. My original post was kind of in jest until that guy took some great exception with it. I clearly stated that it wasn't directed at every hound hunter. In the area that I live, there simply arent many large parcels of property. The normal method that the dog guys use is to post people all over the place on the roads, turn the dogs loose on a little piece of property that they might have permission to hunt on, and wait for the coyote to cross the road somewhere. Then when confronted by a landowner, they claim that the dogs cant read posted signs. Of course, this lets them off the hook with the DEC as well.

Thats what happens here, which is vastly different than places with "ranches" and "ranges". I certainly have nothing against houndsmen. I grew up running coons. The difference is that coons dont run a dog for 5 miles, and I wont hunt on private property without permission. I think running yotes with dogs is a blast, but around these parts it gives all hunters a bad name.

IMO, hunting pressure is hunting pressure and it does effect hunting. Any kind of hunting. Here in my area of Iowa I'd guess about 10% hunt coyotes with dogs, 10% call, 10% spot'n'stalk and the remaining 70% chase em in trucks. They get pressured a lot and are very tough to call. Not impossible but tough. Not having much for numbers doesn't help either.

But things like this I don't understand:Originally Posted By: hickerx2 They turn the dogs loose and of course dogs cant read they just run all over everybody's private property.

Dogs are tools, calls are tools. Neither has any idea of property ownership or boundaries. Yes dogs can and will push coyotes out of property they shouldn't be on. But calls will pull them out. The only time a caller should be able to complain about dogs crossing the wrong fence is if they give up shooting coyotes they call from adjoining property they don't have permission on. When a caller does that then they might have a grip about dogs. Maybe we should limit the volume on e-calls so that a critter can only hear it from 200 yards away so as not to draw coyotes off of closed land.

There is a big difference between turning loose on closed land and a dog crossing the wrong fence. Just as there is a big difference between making a call stand on closed land vs. land you have permission to be on. Once you fire up a caller you are hunting every bit of land (2-4 square miles?) within a canines earshot regardless of where you happen to be sittin or who owns land in that area.

But to think that callin is a better form of hunting than other types is just plain arrogant. Everyone has a right to hunt them coyotes, not just callers. Would I like it if all the truck guys packed it in a stopped chasing coyotes? Sure would make callin easier IMO but for me to tell them to pack it in would make me an A$$.

CB

Back