Anyone using Win. 760 Powder?

rks1949

I picked up a pound of 760 to try in the new 243,as My loading information listed it for alot of diffrent weight bullets. It appears to be about the optimum powder for a large range of bullets. I'm wanting to work up a load for a Sierra 80gr. SBT bullet. Ron

Its all a pal uses in his .220 swift & .270 win for the last 35 yrs.
Good stuff & very accurate loads from it.

W760 and H414 are the same powder. Some rifles like it better than others, but it never hurts to give it a try. It's a little dirty, like most ball powders, but not too bad. You'll get a little pressure variance with large temperature swings, but that powder's pressures run a little less than some other powders at the higher velocities, so there's not much to worry about.
F1

Ron, just for reference 44.5g with a 70g bullet shoots tiny groups in most 243's with a fed 210 or Rem 9 1/2 primer. Barrel life is very long with this powder.

In a 7/08 with the 140's, I got unreal accuracy and speed.

Best accuracy will be up in the top pressure range, I would start off at 43.0g with the 80's and work your way up in two shot groups, .5g apart.

I now shoot a load of 39.5-41.5g of IMR 4064 with a fed 210 with the 80g Sierra at 3500 fps, no body would believe a factory sporter would shoot this well.

There's two choices for you....

Good luck

Originally Posted By: ackleymanRon, just for reference 44.5g with a 70g bullet shoots tiny groups in most 243's with a fed 210 or Rem 9 1/2 primer. Barrel life is very long with this powder.

In a 7/08 with the 140's, I got unreal accuracy and speed.

Best accuracy will be up in the top pressure range, I would start off at 43.0g with the 80's and work your way up in two shot groups, .5g apart.

I now shoot a load of 39.5-41.5g of IMR 4064 with a fed 210 with the 80g Sierra at 3500 fps, no body would believe a factory sporter would shoot this well.

There's two choices for you....

Good luck Thanks,ackleyman! I wasn't sure about the upper range,but I try to get at least a 90% (LD) fill on most of my loads. I've heard nothing but good about the Sierra 80gr. SBT Blitz. Our Coyotes don't bring a dime around here,so really messing them up,isn't a issue. Most of our shots are long ones 3-400yds in open flat areas. I also shot alot of IMR 4064 in my 22-250's,and really like that powder. In over 40years of shooting/reloading,I've had about every calibur,except a 243! I don't know why though? LOL! I'm really starting to like this gun,it bucks the wind pretty well,and should work well for our long range shooting,and windy conditions. Thanks,again! Ron

Originally Posted By: Flyrod1W760 and H414 are the same powder. Some rifles like it better than others, but it never hurts to give it a try. It's a little dirty, like most ball powders, but not too bad. You'll get a little pressure variance with large temperature swings, but that powder's pressures run a little less than some other powders at the higher velocities, so there's not much to worry about.
F1 Thanks for the info.Flyrod1! I noticed that in the reloading info. too! Have you ever tried to use the other powder ie:414 instead of 760 and noticed any diffrence? I guess that would be good to know if they were out of 760,but had some 414 in stock,to use as a subsitute. Ron

Originally Posted By: rks1949Originally Posted By: Flyrod1W760 and H414 are the same powder. Some rifles like it better than others, but it never hurts to give it a try. It's a little dirty, like most ball powders, but not too bad. You'll get a little pressure variance with large temperature swings, but that powder's pressures run a little less than some other powders at the higher velocities, so there's not much to worry about.
F1 Thanks for the info.Flyrod1! I noticed that in the reloading info. too! Have you ever tried to use the other powder ie:414 instead of 760 and noticed any diffrence? I guess that would be good to know if they were out of 760,but had some 414 in stock,to use as a subsitute. Ron
====================================================================
Actually, I've done it the other way around.......used H414 quite a bit over the years, and had some W760 fall into my lap, and loaded some up. I never chronographed the two looking for a difference, but they shot into the same group at 100 yds.
Years ago I worked for Winchester(Olin) as a field rep. There were some other powders that were duplicates as well.... WW571 and HS7 come to mind. HS6 and WW540 were not the same, but very very close, both being made in the same facility.
My experience has pretty much been the same as others, in that the H414 seemed to produce the best groups, in my rifles, when loaded at or near MAX.
F1

Thanks for the info. F1!
thumbup1.gif
I'll keep the 414 in mind,and most likley try some to see if one is a little less temp. sensitive,than the other! Ron

I use H414 in my .260, I need to revisit it in my .243 with 70gr bullets. As others have said the closer you get to max the better it shoots in my stuff, .260, .243, .30/06.

Ron, the IMR 4064 and 80 Blitz do great in my .243 Varmint. I posted a picture of a 300 yard group last week that was less than an inch.
I've had good luck with the H414 and 80 SBT's too, but I've never tried the 760.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fw707Ron, the IMR 4064 and 80 Blitz do great in my .243 Varmint. I posted a picture of a 300 yard group last week that was less than an inch.
I've had good luck with the H414 and 80 SBT's too, but I've never tried the 760. Thanks,fw707,I'll look into that load as I have both powders on hand. Ron

Back