220 Swift Ackley Improved load data.

NOTAHD

Looking for load data for this 220 swift AI. I've got a 1 in 9 twist on a 26" heavy Hart barrel. I think it will like to shoot 68 to 72 grain bullets but don't know for sure. Any one have load data they would like to share?

The easiest way it to start at max for the swift and work your way up, keeping an eye on pressures. Seems no one wants to publish any data on the Ackley's.

Bigbird is right on the start load. Ackleys are not like standard cases as far as preture signs. The straightness of the case does not push back agianst the bolt face like a tapered case. You need to shoot with a chronograph to see when you get a spike in velocity. Then back it down a little. Speed is not always accuracy.

Good luck Chris

Find someone that has copies of PO Ackley's Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders. There is load data in there, albeit old load data. A lot of the Ackley stuff used some high pressure loads, so work up to the max stuff with quite a bit of caution.

Performance wise, a Swift does not benefit all that much from "improving" as other cases do such as the 22-250, but longer brass life from less stretching is alway a plus.

Should be a great setup. I bet that should kick butt with a 75A-Max. That bullet usually needs a 1-8, but I bet with the
case cap of a 220AI a 1-9 would work, makes me wish I still had my Swift.

I just ordered a 220 ai and also trying to find loads,I did a little research and the 223 wssm looks pretty close to what should work. can't wait to get mine and try it, I'm going to start a little low and work my way up but at least it gives you some powder choices

Originally Posted By: RustydustPerformance wise, a Swift does not benefit all that much from "improving" as other cases do such as the 22-250, but longer brass life from less stretching is alway a plus.

I'm certainly not doubting you, I personally wouldn't know either way as I've never had one, but I do know a Swift improved picks up about 15% in case capacity, which is a lot, where the 22-250 only has about a 7% gain in case capacity. Just based off of case capacity I don't see how a Swift Improved wouldn't have a significant improvement over its parent case unless it were with light bullets and or powders that weren't slow enough to take advantage of the improved case.

I sometimes wonder if people think this because they are using some of the old P.O. Ackley data where the slowest powder available back then was 4831 or the like.

I think with modern day, much slower, powders that are available and the heavy for caliber bullets we now have, a 220 Swift Improved should run nearly exactly the same as the 22-6mm and maybe even a little faster.

Originally Posted By: NOTAHDLooking for load data for this 220 swift AI. I've got a 1 in 9 twist on a 26" heavy Hart barrel. I think it will like to shoot 68 to 72 grain bullets but don't know for sure. Any one have load data they would like to share?

The 220 Swift Improved and 22-6mm have nearly identical case capacities and a similar-ish case shape so I don't see why you couldn't use the low end of the 22-6mm data as a good starting point. I'm not sure how many of the different reloading manuals have 22-6mm data but I know Hornady does.

Back