Groundhog's Demise

justshoot

Groundhogkill.jpg

I took the the 25-06 for a walk at noon Monday until a little after dark here in Perry Co. Found tracks but they were traveling through. No stopping and no markings. After a 1/2 mile I stopped tracking them and called, no answer. On the way in I found this fresh kill scene. Here is the way I see it. Coyotes travel pass groundhog's hole, groundhog comes out to practice seeing his shadow. He wanted to predict more winter weather. While he was sunning himself and wondering why his shadow looked different, a large hawk was the shadow he was puzzling about. All that was left was hair,blood, prints and the applauding of the other animals tired of winter.

Last edited:
I found somthing similar to that last year while deer hunting in the snow. Coyote tracks going down a road followind rabbit tracks, a little ways down the road you could see when the coyote attacked the rabbit blood and worn down snow in a five foot circle. Then the coyote tracks went back the way they came drops every couple of feet when he was carrying the rabbit back to where he came from. U sure it wasnt a rabbit, they look like rabbit tracks to me but, I could be wrong.

I dont think I have ever seen a woodchuck out this early in the year. They usually dont start coming out till end of March. I would shoot them all year if I could. Nothing I hate more than a woodchuck, they cost me thousands of dollars each year!!!

Vegetables. They will destroy a whole field of row crops in one day. I remember one year my dad and I planted 10 acres of pumpkin transplants, I came back the next day to check on the transplants and they ate about 20 rows, every single plant!!

Back