87 grain v-max in the 243 Win

cowpoke

Anyone loading the 87 grain v-max in the 243 winchester?

I look in the Hodgdon data in the 2011 manual that just came out and all they have for bullets close to that weight is 85 grain Barnes, which I suspect is a poor match for crossing to other bullets close to that weight at best.

Am curious as to if varget might be a reasonable choice and how much to start with, of if there might be better choices.

I do have the newest hornady book they quit listing varget with the 65 grain v-max which I am not sure why they quit there...

several of the published data sources do not make much sense in which powders they list and or omit for the various bullet weights because they have powders in both directions of burn speeds listed, but skip what I think would be some very commonly used and good choices for those applications.

cowpoke,

I am getting good results with 35.5 gr of Varget and the Hornady 87 gr BTHP. Good results are about .75" groups. With the scope that is on the gun, that is about as good as I am going to get. This was a mid level load if I remember correctly but as always use caution and do your own research before loading.

I tried 75 gr VMax but haven't found the right charge weight yet for Varget. It may not happen with that combination.

I also loaded up some 105 AMax and Varget but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet.

Have you looked on Reload Bench or Reloaders Nest for other 243 load data?

I have a box of 87 Vmax on back order but will likely never use them.

When I find limited load info for a specific bullet and powder combo, I just bisect similar info on weight range.

Example at Hodgdon Reloading center for .243Win (and 65Vmax has varget load info posted still)

75gr bullet starts at 36gr varget with a max of 38.5
80gr bullet starts at 36gr varget with a max of 38.5
85gr bullet starts at 35gr varget with a max of 38
90gr bullet starts at 34gr varget with a max of 36.5
95gr bullet starts at 33gr varget with a max of 35

seems that 34.5 would be a safe spot to start with Varget but I'm definately NOT a reloading pro. I'm interested to see if others are OK with this method.

Last edited:
I like to stick with the Hodgdon Extreme powders as much as possible for consistency across temp ranges.

I have some H4350 I intend to try as well with this bullet.

I'd look at H4350 as well due to an extremem powder, good lot to lot consistency, and it should produce good groups and high velocity.

H4831 would be my 2nd pick.

I just cross reference many books and loads to come up with a starting point for a certain powder/bullet if there is no where thats listing it. I usually just see where its at in relation to others being used in the burn rate chart and go from there. If you know its faster burning then X powder, then you know you'll end up a bit lower, its its slower burning then Y powder, you should end up a bit higher. But still cross reference as much as possible and just start low if your not real real sure.

COW- you do not say what rifle. i bet 37.0, 37.5 or 38 of varget get you there. i have not loaded a slower powder in .243 for while. if you do not like varget . try a lot of your H-4831 sc. i would think it would about fill the case.

Last edited:
i did a search for 87 grain vmax & wxr & quickload & got a load that produced 3310fps [kinda hot but no pressure signs] with 1/2 -3/4 inch groups @ 100 yards with a kimber montana.

I found 41g of Accurate 4350, Rem. brass, WLR primer, and COL of 2.660" 87g V-Max, was a great combination in a old Savage Mod. 99 .243 Win.I think this was a few g below max so probably not smokin` fast, but darn accurate for a Lever Action that I think could be older than me.

Since the V-Max bullets are hard to come by,I've ordered a couple boxes of Sierra 80gr. SBT bullets. I have a friend that uses them coyote hunting,and has nothing but good to say about them. Ron

Back