pros/cons of thumbhole stocks?

dogcatcher223

Thinking of buying a new stock for one of my rifles. I always liked the looks and feel of a thumbhole stock, just wondering the pros and cons of them. I have never owned or shot one. Thanks

Really, I don't know of any con's here but what I do know for me it just adds that extra amount of stability that you might need for a shot. My next project gun(when ever I get started) will be a thumb stock in 22-250. I love the feel, it's like having an extention of your hand almost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The only thing I see wrong with thumbhole stocks is they only fit right handed shooters.

Can I sue somebody? maybe M. J. McCasland will join me in a class action suit.

I read that a thumbhole stock helps your hand to absorb as much as 40% of a guns recoil, by turning your hand to 90° and allowing both forearm bones to take the impact instead of your turned down wrist.

I want one for my shotgun, to save wear and tear on my worn and torn shoulder. Anyone know of a company that makes one for an Ithaca model 37?

The only cons I know of are the added cost (they seem to average about 10% above a standard replacement stock), and if your hand is very large or small trigger reach can be a problem.

Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

It is simple ergonomics.
Standard rifle stock designs, be they pistol grip or straight like on the Win 94, force you to turn your hand at an angle which it was not really designed to go. Some worse than others.

This is not good.

Think of the militarys of the world. AK-47, G3, M16.....etc....

These are all "thumbholes" in a sense. They just dont have the bridge of wood across the bottom.

I have two thumbholes, and frankly I wish they were all like that.

Back