Easy/cheap homemade scent killer.

Kcamo

As a hunter I use a lot of scent elimination products, but hate to spend excess amounts for something I can produce myself quick and cheap.
Here's a recipe I've been using with great success the last couple of seasons.

Mix baking soda and distilled water, shake until soda is dissolved.
regular tap water should work fine, I just prefer distilled to make sure there is no residual chlorine smell, and if you have hard water it may clog sprayer after a while.

Combine soda water mixture with hydrogen peroxide. A little foaming is to be expected so mix in a container large enough to allow for it.

pour into a clean plastic jug, avoid milk jugs or similar that will allow light exposure which will break down the peroxide. leave lid off of jug until reaction between soda and peroxide subsides and then seal tightly.

transfer into spray bottles as needed, ready to use in the field or around the house to eliminate pet odors as well. This is close to commercially made product. Baking soda will absorb odors, peroxide will kill odor causing bacteria.

Huh,

I always just put a pair of my wife's panties on my head (camo of course), brings em in like you wouldn't believe. I'll stop there...
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: KcamoAs a hunter I use a lot of scent elimination products, but hate to spend excess amounts for something I can produce myself quick and cheap.
Here's a recipe I've been using with great success the last couple of seasons.

Mix baking soda and distilled water, shake until soda is dissolved.
regular tap water should work fine, I just prefer distilled to make sure there is no residual chlorine smell, and if you have hard water it may clog sprayer after a while.

Combine soda water mixture with hydrogen peroxide. A little foaming is to be expected so mix in a container large enough to allow for it.

pour into a clean plastic jug, avoid milk jugs or similar that will allow light exposure which will break down the peroxide. leave lid off of jug until reaction between soda and peroxide subsides and then seal tightly.

transfer into spray bottles as needed, ready to use in the field or around the house to eliminate pet odors as well. This is close to commercially made product. Baking soda will absorb odors, peroxide will kill odor causing bacteria.

I use the same recipe but I add just a drop of "No scent soap" it gives it a little "sticktion" for lack of a better word.

Best mixture going for get'n the "skunk off". If it eliminates skunk odor, it will eliminate all other odors. My local vet shared this recipe after both me and the dog took a hit a few years back.

That's awesome, i believe scent killer is one of the best thing around for hunting. I always hate buying it and rarely do because i hate spending money on it. I will try this because it will make my money go a lot farther. Thanks for the tip.

Here is the what I did last fall. Got it off an other forum.

How It's Done
Step 1: Shop
Assemble the ingredients:
2 cups (16 ounces) 3% hydrogen peroxide
2 cups (16 ounces) distilled water
1/2 cup baking soda
1 ounce unscented shampoo (available at drug or health-food stores)

Step 2: Mix
Gently combine all the ingredients in a large bowl until the baking soda dissolves. Pour this mixture into a 1-gallon lidded container, such as a milk jug. Let it sit for three days with the lid on loosely to allow gases to escape.

Step 3: Bottle
Fill a plastic bottle that has a trigger sprayer with the scent killer. It must be clean, so buy a new one from a hardware store or online (usplastics.com).

Step 4: Wipe
To make scent-killing wipes, place plain brown multifold paper towels-"the kind that come in stacks, not on a roll-"in a small plastic tub with an airtight lid. Cover them with scent killer and let it soak in. Pour out excess liquid and replace the lid. Now you can wipe down boots, bows, and stands, and even use a towel or two to neutralize the sweat you produce shinnying up that perfect white oak.

And No it will not bleach your clothes. The soap is needed to let the mixture stick to the clothing.

LARGE BATCH:
You can safely use this homemade recipe directly on your skin, clothing, or around the house to eliminate unwanted odors. This Recipe will make around 7 Quarts of scent elimination spray. 3 Quarts of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (not the stuff in the brown bottles at the supermarket. It contains additives and does have a slight odor) See the note below on what to use. 4 Quarts Distilled Water 1 Cup Arm & Hammer Baking Soda 2 oz Uncented laundry detergent. (sport wash or Arm & Hammer laundry detergent works great) Mix everything together in a 2 gallon dark colored container. do not use empty milk jugs. You need a heavy duty container such as a brand new gas can or heavy 1 gallon jugs like the type that household bleach comes in. Leave the mix in a basement or dark closet with the cap removed for 48 hours. The mix will create pressure in the container and blow off the cap and make a mess. It needs 48 hours to equilibriate before you cap it off. After that, it can be poured into spray bottles for use in the field. Hydrogen Peroxide slowly breaks down to water when exposed to sunlight. It's important that it is stored in a dark container and that the spray bottles you use for the field are dark colored. I usually find the clear garden type spray bottles and paint them dark brown or black. NOTE: Making 3% Hydrogen Peroxide for this recipe is simple. Buy a gallon jug of Baquacil from any store that sells Pool Products. This stuff is 27% pure Hydrogen Peroxide and you will need to delute it down to 3% for use with the Recipe. 1 Part Baquacil to 9 Parts DISTILLED WATER = Pure 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. If you are following the Recipe above you will need to mix 9.6 Ounces of Baquacil to 86.4 Ounces of Distilled water to create 3 Quarts of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. As you can see, a 1 gallon Jug of Baquacil will go a very long way. (You can make around 24 Gallons of Scent Eliminator from a gallon of Baqucil.

SMALL BATCH:
16 oz. (2cups) 3% peroxide
16 oz. (2cups) distilled water
1/4 cup baking soda
1 oz. non scented shampoo
Mix baking soda and water together until soda is dissolved.
Add peroxide and soap and finish mixing together.
Let sit for several days( a gallon milk jug work good with lid loose to let gas escape).
Put in a spray bottle and and you are ready to rock.

NOTE: It is important to mix the baking soda with the water until it is as completely dissolved as you can get it. If you don't get it mixed completely it will clog the pump on your spray bottle.

LOL, Policeman, Firefighters, plumbers, electricians, bankers, teachers, professional hunters, Marines/Soldiers/Sailers/Chairman (yes that's an airforce joke) this group consists of just about any job you can think of, and now do it yourself Chemists... we sure are an interesting bunch. Thanks for the tip gents, will definately be making up a batch and tryin it out.

Good idea! I trie something like that several years ago, and it kept clogging my sprayer off. Now I know why, I'm gonna try this. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeWhat's the mix ratios ?

1 quart hydrogen peroxide
1 quart distilled water
1/4 cup baking soda
empty, clean bleach jug

Originally Posted By: Three 44sI'm envisioning a bunch of "blonde" coyote hunters .............. ?

Three 44s

It won't bleach your hair.
lol.gif

Diluted H2O2 (between 3% and 12%) is used to bleach human hair when mixed with ammonium hydroxide, hence the phrase "peroxide blonde".

Back