Squirrels

twice70

Deer hunting is slowing down, and the freezer is pretty full now anyway. Took the 17 HMR to the deer stand yesterday and killed a couple squirrels while I was there.

deerlease004-1.jpg

Last edited:
Good shooting! Season just ended here...I only got after them a couple of times. Kind of wish I hunted them a little more.

There are squirrels everywhere here. More than I've ever seen. Just the other afternoon I shot 3 from the same tree with my new .40 S&W.

I killed several this weekend...nephew came over from Virginia and we decided to rid my deer feeders of the little thieves. I have been killing and eating squirrels since 1975 and learned something new about them. Nephew was cleaning them and I noticed he was cutting something from the "armpit" area of the skinned squirrel. When asked what in the he11 he was doing he said "there is a little gland you gotta get out or it will make the meat taste bad." I must say, we made squirrel pot pie and it tasted better than any squirrel I ever ate. Even wifey had seconds.

Actualy that fatty little gland is found in most eating size critters.
Eaten many critters over the years and removing these glands from both arm pits and groins makes them very tasty.
if you kill it eat it, if you cant eat it wear it proudly.

Back