Best Scope for my .17 HMR

wick_ss

I posted this on the firearms site too but you guys are much better at getting back with questions.

I'm sure it's been asked before but here we go again. I'd like to keep my spending to around $150.00. I know you get what you pay for. And I own everything from a Cabelas Alaskan Guide, Nikon, BSA, and Simmons scope for other rifles. I want something in the 12-15 power range. Mainly just for plinking and Bobcats. I've got a cheap Simmons on my Savage .17 HMR right now and just can't get the groups I want. Not a clear scope either.

Thanks All!!

Natchez had refurbished Nikon Buckmasters and Coyote scopes in their last catalog. I use 3x9 Buckmasters on two of my rifles and really like them. THose are a little lower power than you mentioned, but you probably aren't shooting much over 100 yards with a .17 anyways, are you?. You might give them a look.

Last edited:
i put a Center Point 4-16x40 on my savage 17hmr. awesome scope for the price. about $80 at walmart. mildot and lighted reticle w/ target turrets. not that you need it for a 17hmr but its a good scope for the money. i have two of them and like them a lot. its not my leapold but its not $1200 either. ask the PD's how it works!

About any scope will work as long as it will hold zero and you don't beat it around to much. Not like it has to take a lot of recoil.

DAB

Have to go with Savtac308, Burris is pretty tough to beat for the money. I have a TAC30mm 3-9x on one of my bolt guns. They make a variety in the magnification range your after. Lifetime warranty and exceptional glass for a scope in their price range.

Last edited:
Hey Wick, I threw one of those Cabela's .17 HMR specific scopes on a hummer and have been pleasantly surprised.

I think the power range is 6-18. It's been a few years, but I'm pretty sure it was less than $200.

It's calibrated for the 17 grain bullet and tracks pretty good out to 300. The wind plays heck with that little bullet that far anyway, but the elevation is pretty darn close.

Now, having said that, I also have a previously mentioned Burris Fullfield II and there is no comparison. The Burris glass is far and above better than the Pine Ridge, but, in the power range you're looking at, I think it's alot more money too.

Good luck

Back