Prairie Dogs in Grand Junction, CO

bustem19

I've heard that there are some good prairie dog towns in Grand Junction. I can't seem to find these towns. Does anybody on here have an idea where I can find these?

When it comes to prairie dogs and places to shoot them typically those locations are like gold mines. You will almost never get someone to tell you such things on an open forum. Not to discourage you but its just a fact....good places to shoot only stay that way if they aren't overshot and crowded.

Ask around, ask the local DOW, talk to people in rural areas that may know, look on google earth. Prairie dog pastures show up on Google earth like crazy.

I have a few friends around that area and I'm not so sure there are great many pds close by. I could be wrong and would defer to those who would.

Quote:good places to shoot only stay that way if they aren't overshot and crowded. Plus, if it's on private property, there is a real fear that if you have permission to shoot there, anyone you tell will show up, on their own, and do something that will ruin your relationship with the property owner and result in your permission being withdrawn...

This may be more true in Eastern Colorado, since PD shooting is restricted to private land....Some friends and I have access to three ranches, the largest being about 75,000 acres and we keep it a real secret as to ownership and location...

I shoot eastern CO as well and I have seen really good places go bad quickly from the syndrome "friend tells friend tells friend tells friend.........."

There are some prairie dogs in Grand Junction along the highway out by Western Slope Ford, a small colony behind Rim Rock Wal-Mart and a few by the rail yards on D Road.
You'll have better luck if you get out of town a ways.
laugh.gif

Sorry...I had too!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: sharkathmiThere are some prairie dogs in Grand Junction along the highway out by Western Slope Ford, a small colony behind Rim Rock Wal-Mart and a few by the rail yards on D Road.
You'll have better luck if you get out of town a ways.
laugh.gif

Sorry...I had too!
laugh.gif

"You'll have better luck if you get out of town a ways." Let me guess, like someplace that you won't get arrested for just firing a rifle? I have my limmits too.

Thanks guys! I have some places in mind and it won't be behind Wal-Mart! I love this place there is always someone with a good sense of humor.

I will see if I can find some private property or better yet I like the idea of asking the DOW they always have good information that they are willing to share.

Shark what part of western Colorado are you from?

Grand Junction.
BTW...your post asks where there are prairie dogs in Grand Junction.
I just answered your question.
Not sure what you were looking for.
Maybe you just wanted to photograph them...I don't know.

Hey SKB, may I add Buckley AFB to your list of Denver (Aurora) PD spots? Lots and lots of nice chubby PD's. I don't think they have been shot at much.

I'd be happy to guide anyone to the spot; however, my guide services would end once we reached the fence.

If one was to crawl over the fence and start shooting in the general direction of those parked F15's and F16's I don't know what the final outcome would be.

It is conceivable that one's room and board would be taken care of for a while.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bustem19I'm not very good at photography. I like weapons a whole lot more.
Good point; however, in this instance had I used the 22H instead of the Nikon, I would have had to replace my dining room window....in a snow storm no less.

DSC_1800_DxO.jpg

DSC_1795_DxO.jpg

smile.gif

I do know that on the Eastern side,,, There is one fantastic PD town just over the parking lot fence at the Denver Mail Hub....

One of my shooting buddies hauled the mail in and out of there until last Fall and used to stay awake nights after seeing it...Sent me tons of pictures, so I could stay awake as well...

20$$ that's a really nice price. Is there any pics you can send me over of some different calls and their prices, so I can do some shopping? I've heard custom calls sound a lot better then the ones you purchase from Primos and all the other's. So I want to get another option on my lanyard.

Originally Posted By: jarheadhunterYeah my Bro lives in Commerce City and there is some Boone and Crockett Pdogs there for sure. I would guess 10-15#.
If they are in the city limits....wouldn't they be Pope & Young?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: jarheadhunterYeah my Bro lives in Commerce City and there is some Boone and Crockett Pdogs there for sure. I would guess 10-15#.

I work in Commerce City, have for 27 years....your bro knows where of he speaks.

Planning on going to shoot a few this weekend but since its 280 miles over the mtns to GJ area or 200 miles east to find a decent place, I'm headin east.

Originally Posted By: skb2706Planning on going to shoot a few this weekend but since its 280 miles over the mtns to GJ area or 200 miles east to find a decent place, I'm headin east.
Looks like you have some good weather on hand.

PM sent.

Back