how much luck do you have howling to locate

vtr223

how many have went howeling the night before a hunt and heard yotes then went there the next moring to hunt them. was woundering if this works very well for anybody?

You howl at dusk to locate yotes then return before daylight, settle in quietly,at first light start your calling.If they are there at dusk starting their hunt,at daylight there is a good chance they will be returning from the hunt.Works well,but be quiet,settle in,give it 30 min. or so,and ALWAYS PLAY THE WIND.

Last edited:
thanks dogdaddy, i got 4 or 5 in to different spots to howl last night hunted there this moring with no luck, how close are you getting into were you heard them, id say i was about 500 yards from where i think they were in a thickit, but they wouldnt show up i dont think i got close enough to there hideout. lol

Hey 223 I would say you were close enough,I usually try to get in at least an hour before first light,it seems like at times they know your there no matter what you do,I think one of the main things is be as quiet as possible getting in,then give it at least 30 min. before any calling.

I like to leave my house an hour or so before daylight to locate. I will locate as many as I can before first light. Then at daylight I start my calling at the last group located, & work my way back through them as the morning progresses. If your coyotes have a big territory, it's better to use this method because the coyotes probably won't bed in the same place they were the evening before. After a nights hunt they may bed on the other end of their territory by morning, which could put them out of calling range.

When I first started locating, I did exactly what you're doing. Locate the night before, then hunt those places the next morning. I had some success doing that, but not nearly as much as I do now locating an hour or so before first light. I've found that in my area the coyotes are typically very close to where they will bed down for the day in that last hour or two before daylight. Last time out, we located 3 groups by daylight, & took one coyote at each spot. Called in a double at two of the spots, but only managed to get one of two both times. So out of three groups located we called in 5 dogs, & killed 3. Give it a try in your area, & see if it helps.

Originally Posted By: DogDaddyYou howl at dusk to locate yotes then return before daylight, settle in quietly,at first light start your calling.If they are there at dusk starting their hunt,at daylight there is a good chance they will be returning from the hunt.Works well,but be quiet,settle in,give it 30 min. or so,and ALWAYS PLAY THE WIND.

That don't work where I'm from, they could be 6 miles away 12 hours later. Coyotes here don't return to the same places on a daily basis, every 4-5 days is more realistic. If I get coyotes to howl now, I hunt them now. If I located coyotes at dusk and returned in the morning to hunt, it'd be 5 miles away in a random direction.

Originally Posted By: vtr223thanks dogdaddy, i got 4 or 5 in to different spots to howl last night hunted there this moring with no luck, how close are you getting into were you heard them, id say i was about 500 yards from where i think they were in a thickit, but they wouldnt show up i dont think i got close enough to there hideout. lol

See above.

So..SmilinIB....If one hears the yotes howl he should hunt them then? I think that I am victim to the 5 mile away scenario, lol. I told my partner that we will have to go after the sons-o-guns when we hear them!
Where ya at in PA? You know where Pond Bank (near Chambersburg) is?? My in-laws have a house there. I am over there a few times a year. They have a sweet hunter's liquidation store over there I go to every time we are there.

Last edited:
I made the trek to that Cabela's once....and to the National Tire and Wheel place. I drove all the way to Cabelas and didn't even buy anything, lol.

SmilinIB, I agree with you, if they howl now, hunt now! The ones I watch around here may be back to the same spot 3 to 5 days later. Can't as of yet get a pattern. In my hikes if I see tracks that look not over a half a day old I hunt. Got this infomration from the great folks on here. Fresh signs and howls, hunt now. There are fish in the pond! Heavens I love this sport!

Originally Posted By: rletts77So..SmilinIB....If one hears the yotes howl he should hunt them then? Where ya at in PA?

Have you ever seen a coyote hunting? They are constantly moving 'till their belly is full. If you hear a howl(s) you know where they are right now, not where they will be in the morning. I am close to Pittsburgh.

Hear a howl, hunt them now!

Quote:Coyotes here don't return to the same places on a daily basis, every 4-5 days is more realistic.

I never realized that eastern coyotes had such enormous territories. Their food supply must be really sparse there.

I think there is plenty of food here in most of Pa. I don't know why they roam as they do. But one thing I am sure of they have a long, wide range here in this county.

Originally Posted By: nmleonI never realized that eastern coyotes had such enormous territories. Their food supply must be really sparse there.

There's ample food, but I don't know why they move so much.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3845/is_200401/ai_n9389854/?tag=content;col1

From page 5, 3rd paragraph:

Average movements by coyotes in our study (males = 26.0 km and females = 20.4 km per 24 hr) were greater than found in most studies of western coyotes. Adult males and females averaged 8.1 km and 7.8 km during 24-hr travel budgets in Texas (Andelt 1985), 1.3 to 6.2 km per night in Tucson, AZ (Grinder and Krausman 2001), 10.9 km per day in Nebraska (Andelt and Gipson 1979), 3.3-9.9 km in British Columbia (Atkinson and Shackleton 1991), and 6.3 km in Oklahoma (Litvaitis and Shaw 1980).

sounds good guys thats all great info, thanks for reading my post got close tonight, nothin showed right before dark, packed up started walking and a group across the road started howling, keep walking then the group i was trying to hunt lit in about a half mile from me. i just stood there listin to them, i think i know where there livin at now. next good wind im going to set up closer to wear i think there at and wait 10 mins before dark and give them a little lighting jack. good luck guys, keep ya posted!!

Originally Posted By: nmleonQuote:Coyotes here don't return to the same places on a daily basis, every 4-5 days is more realistic.

I never realized that eastern coyotes had such enormous territories. Their food supply must be really sparse there.

Actually I think there is plenty of food here with all the farm land, fence rows, Autum Olives, thickets, etc. I have wondered if they don't just travel more because population densities are lower in the east and coyotes simply have larger territories in this part of the country. I have heard that they like to check and mark their territory very frequently. This could be one explanation.

Back