Do you think the coyote will ever suffer the same demise the Red wolf has?

lon0121

I know there are enough coyotes to take over the world, but i have been reading alot about the red wolf and find it an interesting creature. in a couple states they bred coyote and red wolf hybrids to make more red wolfs lol. just an interesting topic i guess.

lonnie

At the end of time, when the world has come to an end, two critters will be left, the cockroach and ole wiley.

Last edited:
my papaw swore up and down until the day he died and my mamaw still swears they saw 2 red wolf walking the pasture up to the fence while they sat in thier chairs in the barn by a fire. the dog seen our family Chihuahua who started barking at it and the wolves made a dash to the dog when papaw yelled "HEY" and the u turned so fast they almost flipped. i told them it was probably a big coyote and he argued he had seen a million coyote and this thing was as big as a black lab!

when you look at some red wolf pics they would almost look like a coyote at far distances imo.

Originally Posted By: lon0121my papaw swore up and down until the day he died and my mamaw still swears they saw 2 red wolf walking the pasture up to the fence while they sat in thier chairs in the barn by a fire. the dog seen our family Chihuahua who started barking at it and the wolves made a dash to the dog when papaw yelled "HEY" and the u turned so fast they almost flipped. i told them it was probably a big coyote and he argued he had seen a million coyote and this thing was as big as a black lab!

when you look at some red wolf pics they would almost look like a coyote at far distances imo.

A great uncle of mine swore that he saw a pack of red wolves in Mammoth Cave National Park one time. Every time I hear my grandpa tell that story I tell him it must've been coyotes with a red color phase.

Originally Posted By: cityslicker Originally Posted By: lon0121my papaw swore up and down until the day he died and my mamaw still swears they saw 2 red wolf walking the pasture up to the fence while they sat in thier chairs in the barn by a fire. the dog seen our family Chihuahua who started barking at it and the wolves made a dash to the dog when papaw yelled "HEY" and the u turned so fast they almost flipped. i told them it was probably a big coyote and he argued he had seen a million coyote and this thing was as big as a black lab!

A great uncle of mine swore that he saw a pack of red wolves in Mammoth Cave National Park one time. Every time I hear my grandpa tell that story I tell him it must've been coyotes with a red color phase.

haha sounds like the same song and dance for my old mamaw and papaw! i say the same thing. but supposedly a trapper caught one by foot trap while coyote trapping 20 minutes south of here in 2006, SUPPOSEDLY it was in the paper.

The Redwolf is part coyote and an extinct smaller eastern woods wolf species.

It is in fact a natural hybrid which is believed to appeared anywhere from 150,000 to 300,000 years ago.

There will be coyotes long after everyone one of us is long dead and this site as distant memory.

Unless the world ending in 2012 gets us all first!
rolleyes.gif
lol.gif

To answer the question...No, but that's only because there's not enough incentive for people to reduce their #'s. Put a bounty on their hides big enough to make it worth peoples time to get them by any means, whether they enjoy it or not, or whether it's legal or not, & see what happens to coyote #s.

PEOPLE GIVE ANIMALS WAY TO MUCH CREDIT! I agree that coyotes are one of the most challenging animals to hunt, or trap, but under the right circumstances humans could put them on the endangered species list. Think about it...If you could make more money killing/trapping coyotes than you could at your regular job, how long do you think it would take to see a dramatic reduction in the coyote population?

Same thing with hogs, people say they're unstoppable. Put a big enough bounty on their nose, & they'll disappear in a hurry.

I doubt that we'll see coyotes become extinct with any natural balance left in order. If you consider all of the ways that man tries to kill them: planes/choppers, dogs (decoy and running), calling, trapping, poisoning, shoot on site, etc., most areas, where nature hasn't done the most damage, still have healthy populations of coyotes.

With that being said, if an apocalyptic event were to take place, who the hellfire knows.

Some experts dispute the very existence of the red wolf, at least in recent times. Even some of the several hundred year old red wolf pelts at the Smithsonian have been tested and found to have coyote DNA. In any event, it appears that one of the main reasons for the "extinction" of the red wolf is genetic dilution from breeding with coyotes.

So yes, if you think about it, that is exactly where coyotes are heading, as long as they keep breeding with those danged coyotes.

i'm not sure about the 'hi enuff bounty' thing. Osama has the biggest bounty and the snake is still out there diggin holes. but i'm sure the yote will outlast almost everyone.

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTEThe only thing left when the world ends will be cockroaches and coyotes.

Don't forget Sharks, Horseshoe Crabs.

Coyotes and cockroaches, an old Indian legend, I am told.

No, I don't think we can exterminate coyotes. Here in the West, ranchers and government agents went after coyotes with planes, poison, traps, guns, dogs, you name it, for decades. The numbers were reduced, but not eliminated.

When I was a kid in the 60's, there were no coyotes East of the Mississippi. Now, they are all over North America.

Originally Posted By: cookstaxiTo answer the question...No, but that's only because there's not enough incentive for people to reduce their #'s. Put a bounty on their hides big enough to make it worth peoples time to get them by any means, whether they enjoy it or not, or whether it's legal or not, & see what happens to coyote #s.

PEOPLE GIVE ANIMALS WAY TO MUCH CREDIT! I agree that coyotes are one of the most challenging animals to hunt, or trap, but under the right circumstances humans could put them on the endangered species list. Think about it...If you could make more money killing/trapping coyotes than you could at your regular job, how long do you think it would take to see a dramatic reduction in the coyote population?

Same thing with hogs, people say they're unstoppable. Put a big enough bounty on their nose, & they'll disappear in a hurry.

While I firmly agree that everyone is deserving of their own opinions, I'm going to have to politely disagree with your above quote.
And NO, I'm not trying to create a peeing contest, so please be as polite as I am being.

Back in the 1870's this nation actually tried to eradicate the coyote, believing it to be nothing but a livestock killing varmint. At that time, not only was the coyote population CONSIDERABLY smaller than it is today, the coyote also was almost entirely found in the Western half of North America.
It is a scientific fact that we used any form of killing we could at the time...hunting drives done by up to 50-100 people in one 640 acre section, on foot; "sport hunting"; trapping; various poisons; bounties (which considering the cost of $1 back then compared to today, was quite different).
It was even encouraged to "dig out" dens in the early spring, right after birthing, & kill as many newborn pups as possible.
None of these things made much of a dent in overall coyote populations.

For more detailed scientific data, please refer to the Predator Biology subforum, under Coyote Behaviour [sp], & read the data in the thread "Coyotes in Kansas", which not only discusses coyotes in Kansas, but also discusses studies/facts/legislation in other states, between 1875-1970.
My dad had a copy of this book when I was growing up. (he probably still does)
And I used to read it "religiously", so to speak.
That was 30+ years ago.
Since Yellowhammer was kind enough to put the link on the Biology subforum, I go read parts of it there from time to time, now.
I think there's a lot of things in the Biology subforum, that are useful & interesting, that most people here just seem to ignore.
frown.gif

Back