Mojo critter or Ghillie suit?

My terrian is a mix. Some places i hunt is woods, which are pretty open. Other places are huge feilds, whick are pretty barrin!

Originally Posted By: cbass16The only real ghillie suits that are truely effective, are MADE, not bought.
No suit can effectively conceal a person across a wide range without natural materials.
Otherwise, you've got an overly priced, glorified ground blind.

So, is that snow you got stapled to your jacket in your sig?? Or just an overly priced, glorified ground blind?

thumbup.gif
To you Dobro.

Originally Posted By: cbass16Originally Posted By: RedfrogThe color i have is perfect for everything from snow to timber

Sorry, not possible. For breaking up your outline...MAYBE. As a ghillie that actually conceals your location...Hardly.

If you're not adding natural veg from your surrounding location...its not a ghillie. It's a leafy camo knock off.

The only real ghillie suits that are truely effective, are MADE, not bought.
No suit can effectively conceal a person across a wide range without natural materials. You can get close...and perhaps close enough, but if you want a ghillie suit to truly work, you need to be able to conceal yourself from a human, not just an animal.

DO THAT and you've got an effective ghillie. Otherwise, you've got an overly priced, glorified ground blind.

"Not Possible"
lol.gif

Thanks for your input. I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Are you playing paintball??

MADE not bought.
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Where do you think these suits come from if someone didn't MAKE them????
lol.gif

Add natural vegetation???
lol.gif
There ain't none son. We got three feet of snow on top of two inches of grass.

How much snow do you add to your ghillie. BTW I can still see you.
grin.gif

You can spend your time rolling in the leaves or rebuilding the thatch on your suit if you like, I'll have dead coyotes before you get done.

If I want a ghillie suit suit to work I DO NOT have to conceal it from a human. Ask the hundreds of dead coyotes that were wrong as well. OH wait Dead Coyotes tell no tales.

BTW You might want to work on your delivery. You kind of lost me after "Sorry"

Redfrog what material is that made of. I like to stay away from cotton and prefer some of the snythetic materials. It get wet here some times and cotton really soaks up the water and gets to stinking. Also it gets cold. I agree i would get the suit first. I have hunted the thick most of the time and I'm beginning to think the decoy tends to spook them if they have seen it before. Its always to your advantage to be better concealed. Holding still is always a must no matter what you wear. I figured I better throw that in or someone would point that out and its a good thing for new guys to think about.

As with any tool, the hunter has to know how to use it for it to be effective.

Here's picture of PM member Doubleclutch hunting basically out in the open standing with a Rancho Safari Ghillie:

doubleclutch.jpg

Pretty much breaks up his human outline.

Here's one I killed standing out in the open. Coyote never saw me.

bb2-2.jpg

Here's one utilizing cover and the Ranch Safari.

ghillie1.jpg

I guess I'm doing things the wrong way by killing coyotes with a suit I didn't make....
blink.gif
lol.gif

barrydouble.jpg

busteryotes.jpg

I got the pile of coyotes while standing there shooting in that BOUGHT Rancho Safari....

Frankly, I don't have the time to make a ghillie suit, so I'll just stick with what works for me and not be concerned about it being "bought".
wink.gif

Nope Barry you and Redfrog and ALOT of others or all doing it just right, yall killing coyotes ,cats and wolfs. And your suits look way better then any on any of cbass's clips he has posted.

Your pictures show the tell Barry, thanks for giving some of our members that havnt seen a Rancho suit in the field work THE RIGHT IDEA of what works.

Thanks guys for showing some of our members what has worked in the field , longer then MOST of us have been ALIVE.
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

Thanks for the info guys, im going to get a cheap Kill zone ghillie and critter. The Kill zone ghillie is cheap enough i can swing both

GLA.OR, the material is cotton, but I don't hunt in the rain and when there's snow here it's too cold to stick. I have had the ones with burlap or jute sticking like a wet hound, but this rig doesn't seem to have that problem. Sometimes I'll get blood on it and I just get my handler to toss it in the wash. She doesn't mind washing it, but gets balky when I ask here to iron it.
lol.gif

I seldom use a decoy here because of the terrain. wide open country. by the time I get it set up i would be busted by the coyote sunning himself a mile away. He should be dead by the time he gets close enough to see a decoy.

HOWEVER I think they are great in the cover. I use them when I hunt the cover or down south for the desert. A decoy will hold the coyote for the shot where he might otherwise just trot through.

Calling here is a little different. lots of coyotes and no hunting pressure. Lots of land available and differing terrains.

When it blows here and it often does winter calling can be a real character builder. -20 or -30 and the wind colder than a mother in law's kiss makes the eyeballs tear up.

I head for the cover and I may use a decoy there. Frozen ground presents a problem as well unless your decoy is part of your e-caller.

I hate dinking around on a stand, so I just use an antler with a radio antenna on it. I attach a magpie wing or bit of fur and drop it on the ground. The wind does the rest.
I'll get a pic up tomorrow. Cheap, fast and good......like me.
grin.gif

i bought a crow put it on a stick drilled a small hole,put fishing line through hung two fethers that move in the done 4.50 plenty left for rancho safari

Originally Posted By: cbass16Originally Posted By: RedfrogThe color i have is perfect for everything from snow to timber

Sorry, not possible. For breaking up your outline...MAYBE. As a ghillie that actually conceals your location...Hardly.

If you're not adding natural veg from your surrounding location...its not a ghillie. It's a leafy camo knock off.

The only real ghillie suits that are truely effective, are MADE, not bought.
No suit can effectively conceal a person across a wide range without natural materials. You can get close...and perhaps close enough, but if you want a ghillie suit to truly work, you need to be able to conceal yourself from a human, not just an animal.

DO THAT and you've got an effective ghillie. Otherwise, you've got an overly priced, glorified ground blind.
Spot on, i built one a few years ago, very time consuming especially if you hand sew everything with dental floss. However i found yes they do a much better job or concealing but a good LARGE camo patter almost on par at a distance to critters. the fine print (HD patterns) i feel are junk as they blur into one solid color when viewed from 30-40 yards away. they just look so nice hanging on the store shelves:). anyways sold my ghillie after a year, in the summer months in MN it basically turned into a wood tick nest By the way do you see a noticeable difference with your winter ghillie over a good set of whites?

Thanks for the feed back Redfrog. I do like the looks of those things I could see where they would work in alot of places. I might have to look in for one for the dry days.

Here's a simple decoy I use sometimes.

Since the ground is frozen or very hard here, I don't want to spend a lot of time and noise anchoring a decoy.

No batteries or wires in this rig. It fits in my back/seat of is easy to carry in my hand.

PIF013.jpg

The antenna retracts and folds along the antler for easy carry.

PIF014.jpg

I just set it on the ground and can swivel the antenna in any direction I want.

PIF015.jpg

I can also extend the antenna or raise and lower it to maximize the wind.
The feather catches and the wind and comes 'alive' and also keeps me aware of wind direction.

My vote is for both. If a Gillie suit is good for a military Sniper then it is better than plain old camo for yote hunting the way I see it. May not be necessary but anything that gives you an advantage of not being seen is good.

DAB

Back