laser sight or scope on shotgun

COYKILL

I've seen a lot of pics of shotguns with either a scope or laser sight on them. I am thinking about getting one and if someone could steer me in the right direction as far as brand and whatever else I would appreciate it. I seen some cheap ones at Walmart but they may also be cheap. Your thoughts on this?

For coyote hunting? A fun accessory but completely unnecessary.

I have a railed upper for my 870 that has never been used in the field. A decent tru-glow bead thingy on the front is plenty if you want to get on target faster than with a standard silver bead.

I'm all about the tricked out accessories, believe me, I've had or have them all. (well I've got a lot) but unless your using slugs...you're not going to NEED them.

Now, if you feel that you want them anyway, for whatever reason, a really low profile laser like LaserMax Uni-Max or Uni-Green is my suggestion. The closer to the bore line, the more accurate it will be for the greatest distance range.
I have a 3 rail hand guard on my shotty, tried the laser on that and it's a bad idea. Put it on top of the receiver and its better but still gets in the way of the sight picture. Barrel mounted lasers are a joke. WAY to easy to bump off line.

Scopes on shot guns, are again, in my opinion, only beneficial if you're using slugs.

I use red dots on some of my shotguns. I recommend if you get one get a large obj. scope or a holo sight type. But the holo types are (at least for me) prone to getting snow in the projection part. Otherwise you could get a truglo bead for your gun. For red dots I personally have had good luck with BSA's. They are cheap and for me have worked.

Last edited:
Aimpoint 9000SC red dot scope. The best I've ever used. Hold up to the heaviest recoil and have 50,000hrs battery life! Great for spring gobbler or hunting predators at night.
P7270239.jpg

P2130207.jpg

Last edited:
I think I am going to order a scope like beagler has in the picture. An Aimpoint 9000SC in camo but what is the rail called the scope is mounted to? What distance should this be sighted in at?

I see Gander Mtn has Tru-glo red dot scopes for $99.99. Are they any good or am I better off spending more for the Aimpoint 9000SC Camo?

none soon as you add a scope the brighter light you have to use....but if its for the daytime i would maybe think about it....been many a shotgun beat around hard and the little bead at the end stays sighted in.....unlike any type scope...

Picatinny rail mounted to the receiver, both my 835 and SBE were tapped for a scope/rail. I did some googling to find picatinny mounts for my receivers.
Been using the Aimpoint for over six years with absolutely no issues. I love it for spring gobblers and predator hunting at night.

I can't see the need for them unless you have a point of aim/impact issue or special needs/bad shooting form.

Back