Remmington 7 1/2 vs CCI 400

UtahShooter

So I have read a bit on the two primers. I currently use the 400 but the 7 1/2 are cheaper. Why should I use the 7 1/2 instead of the 400? A guy at the range just made this switch. It took his extreme spread from about 20 to 8. Either way I am curious before I buy another 1,000.

Some loads shoot better with one vs. the other. Nothing set in stone that one is superior though. Have some loads that the CCI outperforms Rem and others where the Rem outdoes CCI. Since you are worried about price buy the cheaper ones
laugh.gif

Oh I do not really care so much about price. 2 bucks per thousand is not a lot. We just use the same powder so I was curious if one would make it burn better.

I bought the Rem 7 1/2 to use in my AR because they have a harder cup. I use the same primer in everything. I dont know that a change is going to make that big of a difference on performance of the load.

Best bet would be to get a box of 100 Remington 7.5 and try them. If you don't like them your not out much. Winchester's generally are the "hottest" primer and also have the thickest cups.

I shoot CCI's just because I have 20,000 of them. But I keep Winchester and Remingtons on hand to try if a load doesn't want to perform with CCI.

Originally Posted By: UtahShooterSo I have read a bit on the two primers. I currently use the 400 but the 7 1/2 are cheaper. Why should I use the 7 1/2 instead of the 400? A guy at the range just made this switch. It took his extreme spread from about 20 to 8. Either way I am curious before I buy another 1,000.

I think you answered your own question! Anything that will help drive the cost of shooting down is a good thing. For the fact that they improved the loads is even better. Oh and they match the brass better too.
thumbup.gif

458Win said:
Best bet would be to get a box of 100 Remington 7.5 and try them. If you don't like them your not out much. Winchester's generally are the "hottest" primer and also have the thickest cups.

Win has a thin cup and are not recommended in ar rifles.

Back