XLR 250 Mount

6mm06

This evening I played around a bit with a quick-detach, cheap, mount for the XLR 250. Here is what I did.

A see-thorough ring was placed upside down on the scope so as to clear the 40mm lens of my Nikon scope.

Next, I used a Weaver base I had on hand. It's about 5" long, but could definitely be shorter. That's all I had at the time, but will search for a shorter one if there is one.

Then, I used another 1" ring that is a slide-on ring for the XLR 250, much like the Burris Z-rings, and slid it up to the end of the base until it touched the screw for the Pictianny mount. It is upside down on the base, but it grips good until it stops where it touches the cross screw on the ring. I tightened it down really tight and it is holding well. Not sure how it might hold up, but it seems plenty strong enough for the .243 it is mounted on. It seems plenty tight at this point, and I do belive it will hold even under the recoil of a 12 gauge.

Here is how I did it.

Mount.jpg

Mount5.jpg

Mount4.jpg

Mount3.jpg

Mount3.jpg

Mount1.jpg

Until someone comes up with a better mount, this will have to do for now.

look at the bottom...and middle light i put 2 of the same weaver bases back to back...with 2 #6 screw and locknut....

same as yours but 2 small bases back to back will clear a 50 mm...

2w1wcif.jpg

Last edited:

Seems we are thinking along the same lines. I had considered two back-to-back, but didn't have them on hand, so did the single base.

That one should work nicely...the only thing to rember when ordering from DX is that it takes several weeks to get it.

6mm06,
nice mount. Just to let you know you have your halo shield on backwards, the inner hem should be on the light bell to stop iit from sliding off easier. If you put it on the correct way the light opening will be much more uniform in shape and look much better.

J.Weber.

Originally Posted By: ultramagThat one should work nicely...the only thing to rember when ordering from DX is that it takes several weeks to get it.

last item i ordered took 8 days.....that was a week ago....the holidays slowed things down it isnt taking long now...

Originally Posted By: happyyoterOriginally Posted By: ultramagThat one should work nicely...the only thing to rember when ordering from DX is that it takes several weeks to get it.

last item i ordered took 8 days.....that was a week ago....the holidays slowed things down it isnt taking long now...

Really? That stuff ships from Hong Kong,I've never gotten anything sooner than 3 weeks.

Originally Posted By: Whiteknuckle6mm06,
nice mount. Just to let you know you have your halo shield on backwards, the inner hem should be on the light bell to stop iit from sliding off easier. If you put it on the correct way the light opening will be much more uniform in shape and look much better.

J.Weber.

LOL !! Jeremiah, I took it off without paying much attention to it, then tried to decide how it should go back. With a 50/50 chance, looks like I lost. Thanks for the notice. I'll get it right.

Toomb, that mount looks really good. It looks a lot better than mine. What base did you use between the two rings? Did you have to modify it in any way?

Happyyote, that is one heck of a good price on that one, plus looks really easy to use with the thumb adjust.

David

Apparently the rings attach to the top side and bottom as well. That's the question I have about the base. Do you have to modify it?

the base is dovetailed top and bottom. it is two pieces, they were rails for mounting a red dot scope to a cantilevered slug barrel. i took the rail, put them back to back....sorry if it doesn't make sense. .....i just got lucky and the parts worked.......

i am trying to find the pieces to do the back to back mount thing do the pieces have to be flat on both sides or can there bee a barrel contour in the one side?

square..once put together back to back...groove same on top and bottom.....flat on each side..... they snug up tight use a small 6 bolt and locknut....cut the extra bolt...and file for about 15 seconds and itsa solid....

i did it that way to take the lights off for day hunting...

Last edited:
sounds good ill have to try that. i like that you could take it of, but my biggest problem is clearing my obj bell right now. i have it on my 22 mag that only has a 40 mm obj, but would like it on my 22 250 or my 243. i dont mind leaving it on a gun for night hunting. thanks

use high mounts it will clear a 50mm objective

2 same size weaver scope bases put together back to back as explained above.....put 1 high scope ring on the rifle scope upside down....then your scope base block....then the othere scope ring goes on the light...your light is same diameter as your scope....

then attach light to scope mount....base block...

i have a high mount ring upside down...on every scope i can use my light on any gun...takes sbout 30 seconds to change them....

Last edited:
Back