25-45 Sharps, Federal joint deal ?

The Wolverine

A buddy of mine is at SHOT, and just left the Federal both, the reps said they read the same thing on the internet about the 25x45, and said They did not know anything about it.

Last edited:
I hope not but if is then so be it. The issue here is a rep at the shot show said.....may be way above his pay grade in the R&D and not yet be able to release the info....maybe not, we will see. No matter enough people now jumped on this train and good round will start getting more widely used

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The WolverineA buddy of mine is at SHOT, and just left the Federal both, the reps said they read the same thing on the internet about the 25x45, and said it was BS.

I thought about this posting a little and I am just kind of connecting the Dots here.

I am all about good accurate information where possible but I also think its very important when listing sources such as this to also be as accurate as possible on source information. I mean a rifle company announced in very public fashion that XYZ was happening listing names of the players. Your buddy that was at the Shot Show would not be someone tied to NFA would it? They are based out of Vegas right? Because if so then there may some blurred lines...highlight the "May" part. Even if it was it could still be correct I know that BH is talking about launching the 25/223 and NFA has Very close ties to BH and I would expect them and Specialized Dynamics to do some builds on more than a few.
All are good guys / businesses, just wanting to keep it above board...........If I am wrong then so be it.....my bad and pass the hot sauce for my serving of Crow. But if I am right....time will I guess tell. I guess I say this because when first mentioning this cartridge you thought little of it.

Brent Turrin who goes by the name 320pf and was a major player in the 25/223. Brent probably has the most to loose as he has been trying to get this launched and of course make some money if possible. With Sharps coming out with the 25-45 it really put a crimp in his plans, so little motivation there to say good things if not true. He and Greycard who is another member of AR15.com who is also already shooting the cartridge, had a chance to speak directly with the Sharps people.

The following is a Shot Show report from Brent:

I am at SHOT and met up with Graycard. We both had a chance to talk with Sharps separately and got to take a look at a dummy 25-45 Sharps cartridge. It looks like the 25-45 case has pretty much the same dimensions, other than the case length as the 25-223AR. Also, the cartridge got SAAMI approval, so we should start to see commercial ammo become available. I do not know the time frame yet.

The folks at Sharps were very friendly. Their rifle (2010 carbine) looks well thought out and well built.

In my conversation about the various bullet weights and loads that have been tried, the possibility that they (Sharps) will pressure test some of the loads listed here was discussed. This is all good news.

As I get more information I will pass it on.

320pf

Last edited:
I hope they will get some better choices in 25 cal bullets in the near furture. Would love to have more choices so maybe a 25 wssm could find its way to my house.LOL

Last edited:
Thats my thing I love my 25s but for an AR there just are not that many options in lightweight bullets especially when the 6mm has so much of that already covered

Accurate info is why I posted the OP, hoping some one had more info.

I personally think Federal standardizing a wildcat, and making ammo for it is a awesome thing, and am very much hoping Federal will do just that.

If they do, bullet manufacturers will come out with new offerings in the quarter-bore, which will be good for everyone.

I changed my OP, I think the way I stated it gave the wrong impression. I am disappointed that Federal did not have 25x45 ammo at SHOT.

I love AR's and any new developments I am all for.

Like the old goofy saying states, " A rising tide, lifts all ships"

Last edited:
"I guess I say this because when first mentioning this cartridge you thought little of it."

I have spoke to Brent many times, almost bought one of his barrels. He still has a standing invitation to come to Bama and do some field testing on some hogs with his 25-223.

If you recall I am the one that hooked you up with him.

One of the reasons that I did not go with the 25-223 is poor bullet selection, a Sharp's, Federal deal would help with that.

Originally Posted By: The Wolverine"I guess I say this because when first mentioning this cartridge you thought little of it."

I have spoke to Brent many times, almost bought one of his barrels. He still has a standing invitation to come to Bama and do some field testing on some hogs with his 25-223.

If you recall I am the one that hooked you up with him.

One of the reasons that I did not go with the 25-223 is poor bullet selection, a Sharp's, Federal deal would help with that.

You are right.......so in that specific issue please pass me a Crow breast, and the hot sauce.

Originally Posted By: The WolverineOriginally Posted By: MPFDWhat are you going to gain with a 25 caliber bullet over a 6mm in a .223 case?

Nothing, the 6x45, and the 6.5 MPC or the 6.5 TCU (all based on 223 case) have much better ballistics than the 25-223, but some folks just have emotional attachment to certain rounds. That being said the 25-223 is a cool wildcat.

When you posted this in another thread I mistook the comment...my bad

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nitisThats my thing I love my 25s but for an AR there just are not that many options in lightweight bullets especially when the 6mm has so much of that already covered

I just received in the mail today as well as a bunch of other bullets, several boxes of Seirra 25cal 70gr Blitzkings. Even in my 6mm, 70gr is the lightest bullet I want to shoot. Any lighter and I will break out the 223. I personally think in the 6mm and 25cal the sweet spot for Predators is the 70-90gr bullets but that is just me.

Back