Green light for kill.....red light for scanning?....

molardog

anyone out there running that way? If so, do you find that the green gives you better visual detail than the red. I just got my XLR250 (red) and have yet to try it out...

For years I used a red fiter for scanning and white mounted on guns for shooting. But in the last couple years I have seen several animals bolt when hit with the brite white light and not get a shot, have tried starting the white light above them before hitting them with the main spot and it helps but still had some run before I could shoot. May be they were called in before and a little white light shy.

Now I use amber filter to scan and shoot with. The amber don't cut down on the distance as much as the red and has not bothered any called in as of yet. I just made a couple green filters for the gun mounted shooting lights (Surefire Tac 200 lums) and have not been able to try em yet due to weather. The green looks good and lets a little more light through to shoot with but is a noticable difference from the white.

Will still use the amber to scan with and like it better than the red, but the red is still good to scan with just don't let enough light through to shoot with at say over 100 yrds. Tried the green filter and compared it to the amber on my shooting lights last night and It makes the distance shooting better through the scope, but yet to try it on a animal. The green on shooting light I hope don't scare any off like the white has several times. Hope to see soon mabe tonight.

I've shined 4 gray foxes with a green light, two with a Lightforce w/ green filter and two with an ND3 green laser. All four spooked immediately. I've had better luck with a dim white light.

Well I won't be reporting on how the green filter works for a while now !!!

Slipped on the Ice and tore the he!! out of my left Knee and will be laid up for a few weeks.

I will return !!

Well I got my green XLR250 in last night and got out in a dark field with it and compared it side by side to my red one. Clarity and detail thru the scope is much better, to my eyes, with the green than with the red. The green has slightly more throw as well, but could just be my eyes...I've decided I will scan with the red and shoot with the green on my first hunt....gonna have my bro with me to partner up on the task and can't wait!

My experience has been the green is the worse light to use when it comes to spooking predators. My understanding is the green light is the most visible to predators.

I ordered two red XLR 250's and got one green and one red. So I had a chance to play and do some research. From all the info I could find on coyotes,fox and deer they see red as gray to dark gray and green as gray. I was able to shine both lights at deer from thirty yards to around 100 yards. It did not seem to bother them at all. They looked my way and went back to feeding. I thought that the red seemed to get adsorbed by the snow. Both lights worked great and shine the same distance. I though that I could see a little bit better
with the green. There are some other post here on red and green lights. I went with green. I bought my lights through BoonDock Outdoors Jeremiah is great and fast service

Originally Posted By: Pacecarhttp://agilitynet.co.uk/health/caninevision_markplonsky.HTML

http://www.predatorxtreme-digital.com/predatorxtreme/200810#pg83

http://www.predatorxtreme-digital.com/predatorxtreme/200812#pg65

http://www.predatorxtreme-digital.com/predatorxtreme/200902#pg89

Thanks, those were great reads....I noted that the author does not recommend green light for hunting, causing me to reconsider my choice for a gun mounted green light. Then again, a momentary burst in the light's halo may not be to big of a deal....guess we'll see.

Originally Posted By: rem22250I ordered two red XLR 250's and got one green and one red. So I had a chance to play and do some research. From all the info I could find on coyotes,fox and deer they see red as gray to dark gray and green as gray. I was able to shine both lights at deer from thirty yards to around 100 yards. It did not seem to bother them at all. They looked my way and went back to feeding. I thought that the red seemed to get adsorbed by the snow. Both lights worked great and shine the same distance. I though that I could see a little bit better
with the green. There are some other post here on red and green lights. I went with green. I bought my lights through BoonDock Outdoors Jeremiah is great and fast service

Well, the author cited above states that the coyote sees green differently depending on how dark the green is....lighter shades of green appear white with the darker shades appearing more gray...

Hard to say how much chroma (depth of color) that the XLR250 puts out.

According to the human/canine color spectrum charts in the article, the coyote sees every color we do, just sees it as a different color. This would confirm what I have noticed while hunting, that the shade of color doesn't matter, it is the intensity of the light.

Also of interest, if the author is correct in that lighter shades of green appear white with the darker shades appearing more gray, our regular green shade camo would be perfect snow camo! I'm not buying it.

Originally Posted By: smilinIBAccording to the human/canine color spectrum charts in the article, the coyote sees every color we do, just sees it as a different color. This would confirm what I have noticed while hunting, that the shade of color doesn't matter, it is the intensity of the light.

Also of interest, if the author is correct in that lighter shades of green appear white with the darker shades appearing more gray, our regular green shade camo would be perfect snow camo! I'm not buying it.

That all makes sense to me....as long as you don't sit there and burn them with the hotspot, then just about any color should work?

Back