savage edge (axis) trigger mod

brramer

Thanks to dmpowder I was able to drop my trigger to 3#. I did my trigger a little differently. I used a set screw instead of a tension spring for a spring guide. It is so simple. I removed the c clip and the pin that holds the trigger and trigger spring. I took the trigger to Ace Hardware so i could get the right set screw (spring guide) and a couple of springs to play with. I kept trimming the spring until I hit 3#. It is so easy I can't imagine spending $90.00 for a new trigger assembly. Without the knowledge and pics provided by dm I would have never been able to do what I did. Thanks again DM for taking the time to share your knowledge.

Last edited:
Mod is stupid easy, takes maybe 10 minutes from tear down to reassembled. I've done more than 1 or 2 triggers, the edge is about the easiest one I've ever played with. Factory should have you at about 6 pounds and if like mine, clean. The spring just drops weight and it stays clean.

brushhunter. I was pretty nervous myself. DM has some very good instructions and pics on predator masters to help you out. About the only thing that can go wrong is if you lose the c clip holding the pin. I went to ace and matched a couple of light springs to the original and I bought a set screw for the spring guide. It was so simple I now feel like a gunsmith.
smile.gif
Look at DM's pics and you will be good to go.

let us know how it turns out

bruce

Last edited:
I did mine yesterday, and I did the same with the set screw and a couple of springs. Now have mine @ 2.5 lb pull. I would have never tried it either but the pics and instructions were great thanks dm. Your right it only takes about 10 to 15 minutes.

I didn't think about using a set screw in the trigger hole to retain a new spring. Did buy a spring I could use at my Local Ace hardware store, but JB Welded the shank of a brass screw inside one end of the spring and fitted the brass shank into the trigger hole. Accomplished the same thing as using the set screw.

a set screw is pretty simple. no cutting and no glueing. Just screw in the set screw with some blue loctite and put in the new spring.

You can do a search for savage edge trigger mod by dmpowder and you should find it. pics and instructions to help you. I took mine from 6# to 3#.

Stevens trigger is much easier to do, piano wire bent to the shape of the original spring. I have one I can send you bent and then give you more instructions or hopefully someone on here will get you some pics but very easy

Last edited:
I've done 2 triggers on the Edge. All I did was pry out the top portion of the rear spring on the trigger group and use my Dremel to cut off one coil on one of the guns and 1 1/2 on the other. Still took a good amount of pressure to compact the spring with a small flat blade screwdriver and put it back in place. There is a circular indention in the trigger area that holds the spring in place. 15 minutes is all it took me and both scopes were still on target after I was finished.

I have slammed the guns butt first on the floor and very forcibly hit them on all sides to check for any inadvertant firing and have had no issues. The only thing I would be careful of is cutting too much of that spring. When I did my first one on my 22-250 I cut 1 1/2 and I guess some would really like the reduced pull but it was just a bit too light for me. I don't have a scale but I would guess in between 2-3 pounds. On my Brother's I kept the cut to 1 coil and it cut the perceived weight of the pull in half. That spring must be an inch long although I've never had it out all of the way to measure it. Trimming just a slight bit will make a huge difference.

My first mod to an Edge would be a trigger job however you want to do it.

My trigger was horrible, and two plus coils snipped didn't do much. I couldn't take any more off as that would take me out of compression so I ran a 10-24 set screw up through the stock spring's hole (after removal). Threaded a bit of a new spring over it and it was better, but did nothing for overtravel.

I yanked that setup and ran a longer than needed cap screw through and adjusted for no overtravel. Sear hung up after tripping and trying for bolt removal from receiver. So I backed the screw off a tiny bit. I then swapped that out for a button head screw that projected the same amount above when coming to bear.

I then ran a slip over coil spring.
No the spring isn't trapped by anything other than assembly, but once set who takes them apart?

Did work on my sear angle/face, got the creep out.

Impact in multiple directions shows it safe.

Might be 3# or under, haven't scaled it yet. Usable but not what I really like. Eh it's just a beater yote rig, good enough for who it's for I guess

The trigger pivot and location of the spring probably dictate higher than "normal" trigger weight.

But, that might be based on the factory spring.

The Rifle Basix trigger has the trigger spring moved inward, think that probably why they can adjust lighter.

Not worth experimenting IMHO, I got mine usable. I like better triggers, but then why not get one for a better looking rifle?

To me putting in more work/$ into an Edge/Axis is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Last edited:
I did my axis trigger also. I removed the old spring, ran a 10/24 tap thru the threads to clean them up. Screwed in a 10/24 screw, either 5/8 or 3/4 long, can't remember which, from bottom to the top. The screw just stuck thru the trigger assy about 1/4 inch. Then for the spring, a spring from a Pilot G2 gel ink pen works perfectly. I tested the trigger pull by using a milk jug, and a long string. I placed the rifle butt on the counter, (empty of course), and had my wife hold it upright. Then I ran the string thru the trigger and milk jug. Then I added water in the jug until the trigger tripped. Weighed the jug on a digital bathroom scale. Before, the trigger pull was 7.64 lbs, but after the mod, it was 2.42 lbs. I did the jarring test, opened and closed the bolt, switched the safety on and off rapidly. Never had an accidental trigger trip. Next, to correct the trigger side to side play, I used a brass washer, the right size for the cross pin, and sanded the thickness to fit.

Originally Posted By: kelI've done 2 triggers on the Edge. All I did was pry out the top portion of the rear spring on the trigger group and use my Dremel to cut off one coil on one of the guns and 1 1/2 on the other. Still took a good amount of pressure to compact the spring with a small flat blade screwdriver and put it back in place. There is a circular indention in the trigger area that holds the spring in place. 15 minutes is all it took me and both scopes were still on target after I was finished.

I have slammed the guns butt first on the floor and very forcibly hit them on all sides to check for any inadvertant firing and have had no issues. The only thing I would be careful of is cutting too much of that spring. When I did my first one on my 22-250 I cut 1 1/2 and I guess some would really like the reduced pull but it was just a bit too light for me. I don't have a scale but I would guess in between 2-3 pounds. On my Brother's I kept the cut to 1 coil and it cut the perceived weight of the pull in half. That spring must be an inch long although I've never had it out all of the way to measure it. Trimming just a slight bit will make a huge difference.

My first mod to an Edge would be a trigger job however you want to do it.

We took 1 coil off all ours and they work fine after plenty of shooting, took 15 minutes as poster says. Feels like a good aftermarket trigger now on all 3 of them. Have no idea what these other guys had to do so many mods, no slop left to right in ours, maybe some were made different.

Last edited:
Can anybody tell me what size and length of spring I need to buy at Ace Hardware? I was trying to find someone to do the mod for me but no takers yet. Guess I'll just have to try it myself. I'm mechanically inclined but I have never worked on a trigger before! I have the other post saved on my phone with all the pics so I will give it a try soon as I find out what size spring I need to get. Thanks

Back