Airline approved double rifle case... without a mortgage please

goose_boy

Looking for a decent quality double rifle hard case to take on my first predator hunting trip out west (flying, checked baggage). Will be putting about $3k of hardware in this thing so I want to make sure it will protect my equipment, but I don't want to spend a fortune on it since it will RARELY be used, maybe once a year probably every 2 years. What do you guys recommend?

I have this one and have used it on many occasions flying. I have never had any damage to my guns while using it. Other than some scratches, the case remains in perfect condition as well. The wheels and luggage rack make it easy to navigate airports too...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Gun-Storage/Gun-Cases%7C/pc/104792580/c/104730480/sc/104368680/Cabelas-34Bullet-Proof34-Two-Large-Scoped-Rifle-Case-with-Wheels-and-Luggage-Rack/741949.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/shooting-gun-storage-gun-cases/_/N-1100211/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104368680%3FWTz_l%3DSBC;MMcat104792580;cat104730480&WTz_l=SBC;MMcat104792580;cat104730480;cat104368680

If you buy a good quality case you will have it all your life. I understand what a budget means. But if that $3,000 worth of equipment is worth $300 after a baggage handler gets ahold of it. You might then second guess your purchase of a cheaper case. Unfortunately it will then be too late.

In other words. Sacrifice somewhere else. Not your equipment. Or you could easily end with with a messed up hunt before you even leave the airport. Just some advice from a guy who has had a couple of Orvis rods destroyed by the airlines.

Even if the airlines make it right(which they probably won't). Your hunt is still ruined. Give it some serious thought before you purchase. and buy good quality. You will not be sorry. Tom.

Hogghead, I understand what you're saying. I guess I worded my question wrong... what I should've said is how much do I HAVE to spend to get my stuff there without it being damaged? I know I could get a titanium safe box, but what do I really need and what would just be nice to have? Who makes the better stuff, is there anyone that makes good stuff for a pretty fair price, or do you just go Pelican and be done with it? Never really had to worry about this stuff before, I've never had scoped rifles (or nice guns just beaters), and never traveled farther than 100 miles in the truck with my weapons. So, question re asked haha.

Also, I just looked at the Pelican, and it says its 21 1/2lbs empty! I will be putting a scoped 26" bull barrel bolt gun in it, and a 16" bull barrel scoped AR in it. I will probably be over the 50lb bag limit, anyone know if there's a good lighter case available?

I bought a Pelican two rifle case with rollers last year from Sportsman's guide at a very good price. Way below elsewhere.
I would suggest that you spend some time shopping for price online.
Rollers are almost a necessity and you can strap your other bags on it.

I would strongly recommend the Pelican as well...A few years ago, while passing through Cabelas, I found a nice aluminum case on sale and still have it...

The down side is that is has no wheels and no carry strap...load it with a couple of guns, or one and cleaning supplies/ammo and it's almost too heavy to carry any distance... It does protect the firearms though,,,It's been on the bottom of the pile when a bunch of us go Prairie Dog shooting...

There have been a few instances of gun cases and contents come up missing from flights going through Chicago's O'hare...as well as others, I suppose...If I were dealing with firearms of that value, I'd be more inclined to UPS them to my destination than stick them in the baggage system...If they go out the day before your flight, you should arrive about the same time...

If you lived closer, I'd offer to throw them in with mine, as I'm driving....I really don't trust airline baggage personnel...

SKB two gun case has served me well. Most of that size will be in the 20lb range to start. Then add you 7-11lb rifles and your getting close to the 50lb limit before ammo.

I've been using an SKB for the last few prairie dog trips to Montana. It has worked well, and the handlers haven't succeeded in tearing it up yet. My case with two rifles weighs about 46 lbs. I UPS my ammo ahead of time. As the guys said, be sure and get a case with wheels, and don't look at cheap for a case to protect $3000 worth of rifles! I use my SKB one time a year, but consider it a good investment.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleI would strongly recommend the Pelican as well...A few years ago, while passing through Cabelas, I found a nice aluminum case on sale and still have it...

The down side is that is has no wheels and no carry strap...load it with a couple of guns, or one and cleaning supplies/ammo and it's almost too heavy to carry any distance... It does protect the firearms though,,,It's been on the bottom of the pile when a bunch of us go Prairie Dog shooting...

I agree with Bill !!
thumbup1.gif
I have 4 Pelican cases, and I have flown to South Dakota twice, flown to Texas 7 times, to Savannah GA twice, and made numerous road trips. They look a little "worn" after all of that, but they're still doing their job. We have put over $10,000 worth of shotguns in two of these and never gave it a second thought. I honestly think that the baggage guys could run over them with the baggage tractors and not hurt the guns inside. Also, you can tailor the foam in a Pelican to your firearm. As well as buying extra sets of foam later on and having a case that will adapt to other gun(s) by only changing out the foam pieces. Also: Pay attention to the manner in which the case locks! The cases with latches that stick out are a problem. The latches get sheared off, and the contents are at risk. Pelican cases (and others I'm sure) have reinforced areas for PADLOCKS. That's the only way to go, imo. Here's one of our AR cases that the foam had been cut to fit the gun:

DSC_0004.jpg

I see that you are from NW iowa. You might want to stop by southern archery. Was up there this summer and they had a couple of hardside cases that were not that badly priced. I picked one up acouple of yrs ago from there and my dad got one the following yr. Mine will hold one rifle and one shotgun. My dads will hold 2 scoped rifles. If they don't have what you want they can get one pretty quick. You are making a better choice flying with it than shipping it. I have flown with mine 2 times since 9-11 and have not had any problems.

Check out Starlight gun cases. I bought one with wheels at Sam's Club for $100. Minor blem in finish Good enough for our military

I got a pelican 1750 and a SKB and they are both great cases, I like the pelican better because the ease of using the TSA approved locks! other than that they are both Great..

Back