Nitrex 3-15x50

Pbchucker

Just received it yesterday from Natchez and I am seriously surprised. The glass is great and I was seriously concerned about the TREXPLEX being too thick of a crosshair. It is outstanding.

I never really heard of this scope before and own multiple Burris scopes and love their glass for their price and usually avoid scopes under $300 due to poor glass. I needed a new scope for an AR build and money being tight right now due to a new little boy 5 months ago, so I figured what the heck. This scope is only costing me $199 after the mail in rebate.

Just waiting for the PERP mount to show up and get it sighted in and run a box test on it to see if it is even better than I think. I don't do a lot of long distance shooting, most shots where I hunt are under 200 yards to never really needed turrets before. But we do shoot a lot of ground squirrels out to 200 yards so that is another reason I wanted some higher magnification and went with the 3-15.

If you are looking for an inexpensive scope with great glass for the $$$$ I would order one before the rebate is up and the scopes are gone.

Last edited:
I'm sure there more than a good deal at that price.

ATK is a decent parent company owning I think around 17-20 firearms related companies and they had brought on there new lines of optics about 5-6 years back under Federal. Lower end Intensity and upper end Nitrex.

After buying the Weaver name (again) and inventory from Meade Optics I believe they just had too many brands competing against each other under the same roof/umbrella.

Weaver being a long standing brand name in optics will command top money compared to new names in optics.

Some here remember at that same time Meade Optics sold Redfield to Leupold and Simmons to Bushnell all in a 3 month span.

I guess I have 7-8 of the Intensity scopes here 3 still in the box. LOL. The Intensities are made in the Philippines and for the price on closeouts were a very good deal.$49.00-$89.00 Intensities have been replaced by the Weaver 40/44 Series.

Most here know Burris Timberlines and FFII scopes along with 90% of Nikons scopes/binoculars are made in the Phillipines.

Nitrex series.I believe both TR1,TR2 are both made in Japan. They seem to have been Replaced with TR1= Weaver Buck Commander. And TR2 = Weaver Super Slams

If warranty work is ever needed I'm sure the replacement if needed will come from the Weaver series listed.

I would'nt hesitate one bit in jumping on these closeout prices and having a warranty.

PBCHUCKER, Thanks for your post on the Nitrex. I've been trying to spread the word about them for sometime now.

Like you I was very impressed with the optics in the Nitrex TR2 3-15x42 SF with the trexplex reticle I got from Natchez around 4 months ago. Mounted it on a centerfire rifle and first time at range with it, had my shooting buddies critique the scope. They were very impressed with its glass and features and surprised at its price. A week or so later I'm at range shooting next to a gent with a new rifle and a new Zeiss Conquest scope with same power range and features of my Nitrex. Had him sit down with my rifle to compare the Nitrex with his Zeiss. After a few minutes with my scope, guy commented he thought my Nitrex was very comparable to his Zeiss in quality of glass, feel of adjustments and etc. Guy liked the trexplex reticle over the reticle in his Zeiss. Wish you could have seen his face when I told him my Nitrex had a final cost of around $220....knowing his Zeiss model sold for over $800. After that, had my brother order a TR2 4-20x50 SF trexplex for me. This scope was just as impressive as my first Nitrex.

I can't vouch for the TR1s, but the TR2 Nitrex are one heck of a buy for a quality scope.

My Biggest concern came from the pic on Natchez of the reticle. It looked like it was a very thick outer edge plex and thick middle cross hairs. It doesn't even come close to the pic, they would probably sell more if they showed an actual pic of the reticle instead of the drawing they have on their site. It is waaaaaay thinner in person.

Plus it looks good on the new build!
IMG00677.jpg

Last edited:
I just ordered one of these over the bushnell 4200 because of the Illum reticle in the nitrex. I hope this glass gathers light close to what the 4200 does. If not ill go with the boring multi-x 4200 and call it good.

I will give a review after getting it mounted up.

I also just ordered this same scope for my new (and first) AR. I was also turned off by the reticle photo on the Natchez site, but PB's post pushed me over the edge (thanks for the info)!!

I'm also seriously considering the PERP mount, but am wondering about other options.

Any thoughts would be very appreciated!

Originally Posted By: markoI also just ordered this same scope for my new (and first) AR. I was also turned off by the reticle photo on the Natchez site, but PB's post pushed me over the edge (thanks for the info)!!

I'm also seriously considering the PERP mount, but am wondering about other options.

Any thoughts would be very appreciated!

The Rock River Arms cantilever mount is nice. It's cheaper than the Burris and the RRA is made in the USA compared to the Chinese built Burris PEPR.

The new DNZ Freedom Reaper mounts look good also they are made here.

Originally Posted By: family guyI bought two of these. Both illuminated switches failed right out of the box. Sent in for warrenty repairs yesterday.

Please keep us posted on your warranty service experience with Nitrex.

I just ordered a Nitrex with illuminated reticle. Hope I do not have to send it back.

I just recieved my 3-15X50 with illuminated reticle and the illumination part does not work. It was very dim the first time I tried it. I had to turn the lights out in my office to get it to be able to see it. I put a new battery in it and then it would not even light up.
It will be going back for an exchange. I am not sure if I want to try another illuminated version. The rest of the scope appears to be pretty good.

I have a question for the guys that have the illuminated reticle version.
Do you have one of the cross hairs that is slightly larger than the other 3? Not the heavy portion but the fine line portion of teh reticle.
The one I have, the top line is slightly heavier then the other 3. Just trying to find out if that is the way the iluminated version is going to be or if it was not right.

I have the illum reticle and yes the top crosshair is thicker toward the center of the reticle. My switch that turns the dot on is really finicky and was that way when it came out of the box. I have yet to mount the scope because I am debating if I should send it in. It does work but once it clicks to the on position you have to move it ever so slightly to get it to come on. Other that the switch I love the scope.

Mine came in today and will be going back tomorrow. Illum works on all settings but looks like a web instead of a dot. Scope looks great otherwise.

Originally Posted By: AR243wssmMine came in today and will be going back tomorrow. Illum works on all settings but looks like a web instead of a dot. Scope looks great otherwise.

There are diff. ways they display dots in scopes i have a stigmatism and most of the red dot scopes look that way to me.

Mine was great right out of the box, but after a little bit of use I now have to push in on the rotating switch to keep the dot lit. I've been very pleased with the scope so far, but this is a little hitch in its giddyup.

Mine came in this morning. The first thing I noticed was the size and weight. This thing is heavy and bulky.

On Natchez website the scope I ordered was supposed to have illuminated dot. I looked at mine and could not find the dot in scope view. I could not find anything on the scope to turn on the dot either. So, I checked the invoice and everything was correct. Natchez charged me $300 for the model with illuminated dot.

What a pain in the behind. Tomorrow I have to call Natchez and find out why mine has no illuminated dot and what are they going to do about it. I hope they will not tell me that they are not responsible for graphic error on their ad.

They are pretty heavy and bulky - definitely not what you want on a mountain rifle. I put mine on a heavy rifle, so a few extra ounces wasn't that noticeable.

The side focus knob on the left hand side should also operate your illuminated reticle. If it's not there, you got hosed.

Originally Posted By: Howard NguyenMine came in this morning. The first thing I noticed was the size and weight. This thing is heavy and bulky.

On Natchez website the scope I ordered was supposed to have illuminated dot. I looked at mine and could not find the dot in scope view. I could not find anything on the scope to turn on the dot either. So, I checked the invoice and everything was correct. Natchez charged me $300 for the model with illuminated dot.

What a pain in the behind. Tomorrow I have to call Natchez and find out why mine has no illuminated dot and what are they going to do about it. I hope they will not tell me that they are not responsible for graphic error on their ad.

The Illuminated model is $349......not saying you got what you ordered, but if they charged you $300 that is what the 3-15x50 trexplex is selling for.

Back