T/C Encore barrel, .223 or .22-250?

Hey guys as you know I am new to the sport and new to the forum. I have a T/C Encore Pro Hunter, walnut stock, blued 24" barrel 6.5x55 Swede, Leupold VX-III 2.5-8 on top. OKAY! Want to reload for this great caliber, so I am keeping the Swede barrel. However, if I am going to start hunting coyotes and I want to get shooting something like a V-Max so i can save the hides should I dump close to 400 dollars on a RCBS Partner Press, dies, powder, brass,bullets etc, OR just buy a .223 or .22-250 and throw the Leupold on top? Now, I have saved a few hundred dollars short term, BUT will probably buy a VX-1 for it later, and then buy the 400 dollars of reloading gear, plus some more brass, dies and bullets for the .22 centerfire.... Consider I am in Maine, one of the most heavily forested states in the Union not the prairie.

Okay, that's the main conundrum. I will throw this in for good measure. My current gun with its 24" barrel is exactly the same length as my handy little Model 94 30-30. I am not a fan of noise, already suffering hearing loss. I would rather get slugged with magnum recoil than have my ears blown off by my friends Ar-15 with a 16" barrel get my drift? I am thinking 26" or 28" barrel. I am not even considering the 24" as no one has a short varmint gun to began with, and being a single shot the thing is short. What are you seasoned guys thinking about all of this? How crazy am I?

The encore is a great gun and both are good calibers. If most of your shots are shorter range, the 223 is a great choice. Easy to load for, cheap easy to find brass and loaded ammo. I would get the barrel first and then save for reloading stuff as you can buy factory ammo until then.keep your eyes out for a good deal on a barrel and you might be able to get a good condition used barrel and a good used scope for cheaper then you think.

Good luck
smile.gif

I would go with the .204. Ammo is a little bit more expensive and there is not as much of it as the .223 or 22-50 but they're getting more popular. Since it's a single shot, ammo quantity and price should not be too big of a concern. Also if you reload .204 is a really good caliber very fast and a very flat shooter.

Best of luck!

I'm quite happy with my Encore's 22-250 barrel but you really can't go wrong with either cartridge. Heck, the .204 is nice too.

My 250 is very accurate and it's very easy to reload.

I am leaning heavily towards a 28" .22-250. Will be keeping my eyes peeled for a reloading kit and plan on loading the 6.5x55 with 95grain Hornady V-MAXes. That would probably shoot pretty darn flat and god knows it would do a number on them. Still, the .22-250 keeps sounding sexier and sexier to me.

if you doing much walking with a 28 inch barrel you will get real tired of it fast...pain in the butt to get in and out of a vehical also.. 22-24 is just fine imo

I, too, own a Pro-Hunter and you'll find that even with the 28" barrels it is still far more compact than most regular bolt actions. My .223 barrel is a 26in and it works wonderfully. Check sites such as midwayusa and natchez shooters supply as they hace clearances on T/C barrels pretty often. I got a .300 Win Mag TC Pro Hunter barrel for $255 on one such sale on midway. Good luck and happy hunting!

Thanks guys. Keeping my eyes peeled. For now I am either going to load for my 6.5x55 an FMJ or Barnes Banded Solid Spitzer (110grain) for coyotes or maybe try the Sierra Varminter in 100grain if Midway gets any in stock. I want to save the hides so that is why I am thinking of the non expanding bullet. I am afraid the energy of a hot 6.5mm even with a Varmint bullet will be like doing dentistry with a big ballpeen hammer.

Back