youth rossi 223 wont group

jmferrel

ok guys before you say anything about rossi keep in mind it was bought for my sons to shoot. I am having a problem i have tried every 55grn bullet i know of in it.i took it sighted it in 100yrds bam shot under 4" group took son out next day coyote hunting and bam he killed first one came in. went to range next day shot it wasnt even on paper so resighted it in 3 shots bulls eye 100 yrds went to range next weekend wouldnt hit paper resighted in under 4 inch groups went back to range today and on a 8x11 inch paper it shot all over it but not close enough to group. when i finally was getting it to sight back in was shooting remington 55grn umc ammo its the only ammo that grouped under 4 inches. the scope that came on it was 3x9 with intials FM on it never heard of it. do you think this scope is bad or piece of crap. here is another deal had bipod on it but folded it and rested it on bag when sighting it and shooting at range. screw screws onto barrel and then bipod onto screw do you think resting the bipod is pushing up on the barrel while shooting and causing it to shott all over the place. tonight i took and tighten the screw as tight as could get it then put bipod back on to screw and tighten the living [beeep] out of it think that help or do you think i have scope problems. im just asking this thing to shoot at least 4 inch groups not like im trying to shoot under 1 inch groups any help please sorry so long.

Are you dead set on a 55 gr bullet? Maybe try lighter, heavier. Do you have another scope in a brand that you trust that you could put on it? I was reminded tonite on a problem I had, that sometimes the easiest fixes are the best. Good luck.

Glass. A 'bad' rifle will shoot consistently badly, so 4" group, but a regular 4" group. If you're on paper one day and off the next it's a glass problem.

DSCF3141.jpg

That's my 'world class' tasco that lasted about 2 seasons on my 30-06 before it developed a wandering 0. Set it and fine for 5 or so shots then groups high right, then higher right, then hiiiigher right etc. I moved it to progressively lighter calibers until it finally failed completely on my bruiser of a 10-22. At which point I found out the iron sights still worked fine.

I will own that scope forever just so I can tell the story and bad mouth it. Besides Tasco decided not to honor their warranty for some reason.
laugh.gif

nope i will shoot what ever grn bullet that it will shoot im thinking some 45 grn jhp might help and i do have another scope rather expensive for a rossi though lol you think bipod is causing trouble.im to the point it [beeep] me off lol

Hey! I had a rossi .223 that did the exact same thing. It wasnt the scope either. The same scope after I sold the gun was used on a .243 and it was fine. I would sight it in and it would shoot decent, a week later, you couldnt hit the ground if you dropped it.....strange huh?

If it's a single shot make sure you're siting it in with the bipod. Don't sight it in on bags and then shoot off the bipod. My NEF .223 shoots great off of either, but if I bag and then 'pod, I'm going to miss. The break actions are more sensitive than a bolt.

it wont stay sighted whether on bipod or bags. if its the scope what scope should i put on it or should i say whats good enough for it

i have a henry .17 with a similar problem, it seems as though the actual barrel moves, changing the point of zero, based upon any mount of pressure applied to the gun.. one day it shoots amazing, another day an elephant would be safe...
maybe there is a common thread here?? i think i'm going to have a gunsmith investigate my problem.

Stock bedding? That is what was offered up to me tonite. And I agreed with the person that told me. He said try the easy stuff first, then decide if you want to invest more, or make it a tomatoe stake or not. I wish you luck.

I would definitely change scopes. My NEF .223 was doing the same thing to me. I had a Nikon Prostaff on top, would sight it in to 1 moa groups then go back and would hit every corner of the paper the next time. Sent scope to Nikon and they tried to fix it. When returned it did the same thing. Now I mounted a Redfield Revolution on it. Dead on zero everytime out this season. I will never purchase a NIKON product again. Hope it works out for you. I know the stress your in.

i had this problem with a 7.62x39 sks i would get it zeroed in and 5 shots later it was all over the place......i finally found the problem...the scope mounts became loose because of the recoil........idk what your problem may be but if you decide to go with a different rifle the savage .223 edge is an awesome rifle for the $

I bought my daughter the rossi in 223 to get her use to shooting bigger calibers then 22LR and I have found they are just an inaccurate rifle. I changed the scope, tried ever grain bullet combo and even reload combos for the 223 and best I could do was 2 inch groups. Ended up trading it in on a NEF 223 Handi rifle and haven't looked back.

You said not to badmouth rossi, but...

Easy part would be to swap the glass to another rifle in a similar caliber and see what it does or put a known to be good optic on the rifle and do the same. If it holds zero well then you know it's not the issue. If it does the same as it does now you've found the problem. Basic troubleshooting, start at 1 point and work from there in a straight line, otherwise you're spending money all over the place. When my pictured tasco started going bad I spent a bunch of wasted money messing with the zero and trying to get it to shoot instead of just swapping and being done with it.

I've got a NEF .223 with a $50 real live tasco knock off (how that happens I'll never know) and it groups very well. If the scope goes to crap, I'm not out much. Even cheap glass can fill a niche as long as it's a small niche it has to fill. Now that I think about it my stevens .223 came with a tasco 6-24 on it, it's useable for what it's intended for up to 16x or so, but it will get better glass in the future.

The best glass for the $$$ I've come across has been the redfield revolution line from leupold. Around $200 depending on the scope, but roughly VXI glass and a forever and a day warranty. I picked up a 2nd after playing with the 1st this year. They're both on par with the leupy I've been using for years, probably a bit brighter.

You may get a few folks who tell you not to put good glass on a cheap rifle, especially for a kid. The way I look at it the good glass will transfer to better rifles in the future so it's never wasted money.

mounted a swift scope 4x12 i had laying around on it today at lunch wish me luch this eve when i try it god i hope it works.. i guess if not my oldest will be carrying my 22-250 around all over new mexico next weekend for coyotes..

Originally Posted By: jmferrelmounted a swift scope 4x12 i had laying around on it today at lunch wish me luch this eve when i try it god i hope it works.. i guess if not my oldest will be carrying my 22-250 around all over new mexico next weekend for coyotes..

Just don't make her use a rifle you would not use.

DAB

OK GUYS here is what i did i took and put a swift 4x12x40 on the rossi cleanded barrel tighten the piss out of everything and went to the range. shot at 50 yrds to sight in 1st shot high 12 inches 2nd shot high 4 inches 3rd and 4th shot Bam!!! both touching 1 inch high--- off to 100yrds and sighted in for that distance, shot 15 rnds all inside a 4 inch circle so maybe([beeep]) it was the scope on it. By the way this was all done with the cheapest ammo you can find(because it was all i had) academy 4 bucks a box 55grn. im thinking 40 or 45 grn bullets in good ammo it will be ok. I was really sweating this but looks like the gun will be ok. thanks for all the help and comments..

I have a nef ultra 1/12 twist 24in bbl, it won't shoot 55gr into a group period, the white box 45gr winchester hp's shoot great in it. The best for me was reloads using 40gr ballistic tips with H322 powder. I made sure the bbl didnt touch the handguard all the way back to the bbl screw,and was real sensitive on torque to the screw, used an O ring to free float the bbl, it was a long process to get it to shoot good but its a real decent rifle now. I still would try another scope, doesn't matter what one just a differnt one to eliminate that part of the equasion. If using sand bags rest the gun on the pivot not on the hand guard and see if that makes a difference or not.

Back