Jan Moon Reports

Three sets where made last nite south of the metro. frist and thrid where M/T. On the second set soon after I sat down a coyote appeared on my right at about 250yds. Moving into the woods behind me. I turned the call on, the coyote moved across the feild and into some brush. It looked liked he might work his way up the ditch to the caller. I never seen him again. No response to the call. But that got me excited just seeing one. Maybe better tonite.

I and Greg went out last night and called 2 spots..
Both spots were dry did not hear or see a thing GRRRRRR!!
We tryed using the new full body decoy to change things up and still nothing!!!!
Guess it was worth the try anyways..

Im sure ill be heading back out tonight some were..
smile.gif

Good luck to all who makes it out...

when i wake up at 2.am to have my nightly Oreo's, i'll be thinking of you Iron Men. than i'll go back to bed and snuggle up to my warm wife
grin.gif

Oh there is just nothing better than a cold night and paws pounding the frozen ground, heading your way. MMMMM. Im a coyote hunting junkie!

Nice job mroutdoors! Your having some luck down there. I was working near des moines and towards iowa city yesterday and today. You guys have ALOT less snow then here in central MN. Look like easy walking and just enough to hunt at night. I miss that. Well we will try to shake things up up here. Getting our friendly tourney info together. It will be fri night, meet at 7 and up to 3 guys per team. Sounds like there will be 4-5 teams heading out. Its a good time with hopefully great stories over breakfast the next morning. Might be an interesting night considering a slow start around here for guys.

We had a good night. 5 sets, 4 called in. Most of the action was on the second set. Ben was in the hot seat and scored at least one kill for 3 standing shots inside 200
whistle.gif
Feel free to elaborate Ben
grin.gif

And then a single Red. Not a smart critter by any means. Natural selection I guess.
jen177.jpg

jen176.jpg

Todd Stein,

I live just 5 mi from the MN border so i do quite a bit of hunting in MN. Yeah you dont have to get very far south to about run out of the snow. Most of the people that hunt coyotes around here run them from the truck which leaves quite a few for me to call. But the daytime hunt is horrible and we cannot use visible light like in MN.

Originally Posted By: Phil_Schmidt...3 standing shots inside 200
whistle.gif
grin.gif

Thanks Phil. Yeah, I don't care to elaborate. I don't even want to replay that set in my mind again. I am going to dig a hole and bury the empty shell cases from that set. Volunteers to go shoot my rifle while I am at work today? Ugh...

Bull Sprig....as my dad always says, "There is a lot of room around those Son of a (*#!%$'s."

Went out last night for 6 sets with Hunter00 and a newbie.
Set 1 Decided to throw in a wrinkle to the set up in a known turkey area. Brought a turkey decoy and set it up close to the caller. Then started in on distress call. We had the new guy set up on the good stuff, about 5 minutes into the set I could here him click on and off his safety a couple of times but didn't shoot. Another couple minutes and I could here Hunter00 throwing some sounds but no shot (he was carrying his shotgun because he left the trigger lock on the 22-250 NO KEY). Come to find out, new guy was jacking around with his gun and not paying attention looked up and saw the yote coming directly toward the decoy. Then he caught yote fever when it started to circle downwind and left his safety on. NO SHOT. By the time it came by Hunter00 it was too far for him to shoot..winded him and was gone.

Set 2,3,4, 5 all dry Set 5 was ruined by the clipper system blowing through.

Set 6
Set up on a farm that we have had success on in the past. Started with vocalizations and sure enough a group right on the other side of the road lights up. We threw everything but the kitchen sink at them and could not get them to bust loose. Had another group to the North join on when we did challenge them but nothing...great night of hunting though. We will see what Thursday night brings!

Made a night of it last night started right before dark and went until about 2 am. Not sure how many sets we made 7 or 8 maybe.

First set started calling and right off the bat see my shooting sticks snap in half, so someone is getting a phone call today, brand new first time using them. Anyway see one coming along some willows, figured it was a coyote but never wanted to come across the field. Tried everything but just hung up, howled at it and it took off, so thinking it was a fox.

Next spot called off and on and my cousin seen a streak way downwind heading away from us came from across the road and downwind.

Few blanks, finally got a answer way off but no way to set up on it with the wind last night, so maybe tonight.

Finally, tried a spot that I know there is a pair using, let a few howls go waited for a few minutes, then hit the distress and not 3 min into that I see a black blob chharging hard. Well he gets to about 75-100yds and with out my shooting sticks and off my knee I slipped off and blew the snow from under him. Make a follow up shot and put one young female in the truck.

That was it for the night. Few more blanks. Was cold and fairly breezy and even snowed a little, so wasn't an ideal night by any means, but we did get something.

Hoping the wind settles down,its getting old not getting a decent night to hunt. Will have tonight through the rest of the moon to hunt.

deaddogwalkin,

Your nights sounds like my night last saturday night , heard plenty but could not get them to move. I hate it when they do that. The next time i think this is happening after i start with a howl, im going to just try the silence and see what happens. See if i cannot get the curiosity to come up a bit.

Borkon, as I turn 50 next week I find myself having to get up around 2 to pee, not snack, my wife doesn't make many sweets anymore with the kids gone so I pee, look out window, wonder if I should go for a drive in the country, look at outdoor temp,(-20) crawl back into warm bed till alarm goes off at 5am. Stay warm out there....

Originally Posted By: Phil_SchmidtWe had a good night. 5 sets, 4 called in. Most of the action was on the second set. Ben was in the hot seat and scored at least one kill for 3 standing shots inside 200
whistle.gif
grin.gif

And then a single Red. Not a smart critter by any means. Natural selection I guess.
jen177.jpg

jen176.jpg

Man it was a great night guys..
Who ever was doing the calling on the set did a good job on calling them 3 in
smile.gif
Your welcome again Ben :p
PS: I think you and I should go to the range and check your gun.. LMAO!!
Thanks for the invite Phil it was a blast...
smile.gif

Back