Stevens 22-250 stock mod's what have you done to stiffen?

duxdown

I have recently purchased a new stevens 200 in 22-250. I have lightened the trigger and have just a little more honeing to do yet. I am awaiting the new scope to come in so it hasent been shot yet.
I have read about people inleting a groove inside the stock and inserting a aluminum rod and adding epoxy to stiffen the flimsey stock, have any of you guys done this and did it help?

Last edited:
I did it to a Remington SPS stock. I got some aluminum spacers for pillars, removed some plastic around the front pillar and filled the whole thing with Devcon epoxy. I filled it all the way to the tip of the forend. It stiffend the whole thing right up.

Mike

Thanks Nockhunter, I have done similar before too, and the stevens stock is honey combed very nicely so it should work well.
If anyone has more input post it up I will be watching.
THANKS.

I did it on a howa stock and drilled thru all of the chambers and recoil block (just in front of it that is) and exited out the front of the stock, that way the rods were stuck into the stock and then epoxied, filled the front holes and painted. Worked ok. I sold that gun after shooting my Stevens 200 the first time. The Stevens has such a big gap between stock and barrel I never bothered.

Last edited:
Well, I gathered up the materials yesterday afternoon and set about stiffning up the forestock. I chose to use carbon arrow stock. I took the barrled action out of the stock and set it aside, then took my dremel and created gooves in the honey comb webbing inside the channel. I then created a couple plexiglass sheids and set them in place on either end of the last honey comb to prevent leakage into the lug area and out of the fore end and filled it up with Marine grade reisen just to below where the barrel would set. Once dry I taped off and shot grey primer into the newly epoxyed channel. Once everything was dry I reassembled the action into the stock, after doing somemore trigger work. This did stiffen up the stock quite abit. Still waiting on my scope and rings to arrive, so I set about loading some 40 gr. vmax loads with 38 grs. of 4064. This load shoots 5 shot 3/8th groups in my buddys rem 700,. I will let ya'll know if it shoots.

Last edited:
I went a bit different route on my Savage 16, chambered in .284 Win.

I inletted the ribs in the stock with a Dremel tool, inserted a length of 1/4" all-thread rod, then used Liquid Steel as the filler. It stiffened the stock considerably, and only added about 3 ounces weight.

My groups run about 5/8", from a sporter-weight barrel.

Well heres the skinny, and this is with hand loads, and still during break in period. First two shots at 50 same hole. Adjust scope during the next several. First two at 100 touching. Dang forgot my cleaning kit, so I do fire several more and watch my goups open up to around 1". Got the thing home and cleaned the barrel with copper solvent and it was dirty. I have yet to get it back to the range. I do suspect that it will be at least a 1/2" gun wich should due fine for the cost. I will be resigned to hard duty as a truck gun and my coyote rifle.
I sugesset if you want a cheaper rifle that you are not worried about being pretty, this is a good buy, it does need a little work once you get it, but it is an easy thing to do.

Originally Posted By: duxdownThanks for the heads up BrentWin, I have never owned a 22-250 before.

It's probably the barrel more than it is the caliber. I've
got three Savage CF's of late, and there was about a 100 round
break-in period on all three (including a .22-250) before the
barrels wouldn't foul so frequently.

DannoBoone, thanks for the heads up, I havent ever owned a savage before, not that this is a savage problem mind you.
I hope to get somemore rounds down the throat this weekend.

I had a Rem in 220 swift once but dont remember it fouling sa readly as this before.

Back