why should I buy a BHW barrel

Rotty

I am building a 6.5 Grendel and was considering a BHW barrel, but a recent post here has me rethinking this. I want a barrel that will shoot to my standard of 1/2 MOA give or take, and yes I will be hand loading, should I be looking elsewhere?

One bad post, and the reputation of a fine builder go's in the toilet.
glare.gif

Chupa

Agreed there Chupa. The big name companies have more issues and they've been at it for decades getting a gun to just produce just 1 moa barrels, nevermind any better especially for your standards. I would think that BHW will stand behind their product if the other gentleman can't sort out the issue, and it does sound if he knows he weapons and a good bit about reloading. A bad barrel can happen and of course its gonna get publicized. But look at all the others that have been out there shooting bug holes and have had zero issues.

I do not own one yet so I'm not trying to defend my barrel over anyone else. But I had planned on purchasing and still do a .264lbc/6.5 from BHW in the very near future.

Last edited:
I'm doubting that the post in question is a barrel issue, although it surely could be. Its more likely to be the charge being used or other some reloading variable.
Fact is...some guns just don't shoot well with a specific powder or bullet or OAL. The folks that get lucky enough to shoot the same load through two different guns and get similar if not identical groups...well they are the lucky ones.

I was shooting 6" groups or more when ladder testing with 95 Nosler BTs in my 243WSSM, switched to 95VLDs and did the exact same ladder test and snugged up to between .75" and 1.8"

You can go online and find a crappy group shot by every barrel maker in the world. Sometimes it's the barrel, sometimes it's the components.

agreed, but the question remains, how do the BHW barrels perform? let me see some groups, hear some stories etc....

I don't know much about BHW but it appears they have a strong following and a history of producing a quality product. They wouldn't have developed the loyal support base if they were screwing over customers. I wouldn't be too concerned over one bad report. It happens.

If there truly is a problem with one of their rifles I would be very surprised if they didn't address the issue with as little inconvenience to the customer as possible. I've had ARs that started out with less than stellar results turn around and be great performers. Might be as simple as just needing to get more rounds down the pipe. Very common with ARs. Maybe PB is just a crappy shot. (kidding)
wink.gif

Point is that if one bad report is a reason to steer clear of a product there wouldn't be much to buy out there. I'd stick with your plan of buying from them if it were me. JMO

Originally Posted By: Rottyagreed, but the question remains, how do the BHW barrels perform? let me see some groups, hear some stories etc....

All you have to do is a search and you will have tons of pics/stories.
My own 6x45 BHW 20" SS bbl can & does .500" holes in paper. My average groups are around .700"-.900" when I am not freezing solid due to the weather out here. It does depend on your handloads and what powders you work with. I have the best luck with AA2015/H335/BLC2/Varget/W748....Ex-term powdwer would not group under 1" no matter what load it is.

Dont let 1 persons problem stop you, its still in development as to what that issue is in that specific AR.

One bad post sure dont need to make up your mind on who builds you a barrel, I know from working with Black Hole on my 6.5 order Carl flat out told me if it dont shoot are i find something wrong with it, get with him and send it back and he will fix it are replace it, No questions asked.

And that means alot to me for a company to stand behind there barrels like that and the owner willing to talk with you one on one.

6X45 GROUP 27 gr of BLC2 2.260 85 GR SPRIZTERS ##### Guys since i shot this target i swapped over to H335 and after a little load work it went to shooting one ragged hole,,, Just had these pictures on hand to show this fellow PM member a idea. I know it was a stringy groupand 3 shot group, buts that the only pictures i had on hand and just worked up this load in a hurry for a weekend Deer hunt, which i did kill one and the bullets did great. Thanks###

IMG_4798.jpg

IMG_4803.jpg

IMG_4802.jpg

IMG_4801.jpg

IMG_4799.jpg

IMG_4800.jpg

264LBC/6.5 Grendel factory AA ammo
IMG_4495.jpg

IMG_4494.jpg

IMG_4492.jpg

Last edited:
Hey WSM,
Why don't ya do everyone a favor & shoot FIVE, 5 shot groups at the PM target you asked about downloading in the Optics forum.
That 3 shot deal with lowsy vertical is gettin' tired pretty quick, and most everyone knows that 3 shot groups don't really amount to squat...

Shooting five, 5 shot groups is MUCH more indicative of showing a rifle's accuaracy potential.

After all, that's EXACTLY why I made those targets for the members here to download for free.

Thanks!

If you look on my 6.5 that is 6 shots ,

The 3 shot groups were while i was working up loads , since i shot that i have swapped to H335 and shot one ragged hole group, but i will be writing a review for everyone to see and if you like i can shoot 10 shots,,,thats just the ones i had saved on my computer here at work to show this member a idea of how they will shoot.

And i Thank you for the targets, printed some out and will be using them from now on to show my fellow PM members of any of my groups.

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: RottyI am building a 6.5 Grendel and was considering a BHW barrel, but a recent post here has me rethinking this. I want a barrel that will shoot to my standard of 1/2 MOA give or take, and yes I will be hand loading, should I be looking elsewhere?

Where's that link to that Youtube video.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: knockemdownHey WSM,
Why don't ya do everyone a favor & shoot FIVE, 5 shot groups at the PM target you asked about downloading in the Optics forum.
That 3 shot deal with lowsy vertical is gettin' tired pretty quick, and most everyone knows that 3 shot groups don't really amount to squat...

Shooting five, 5 shot groups is MUCH more indicative of showing a rifle's accuaracy potential.

After all, that's EXACTLY why I made those targets for the members here to download for free.

Thanks!

WOW!!! i've got to shoot 5, 5 shot groups in order to post a target on here? that's pretty over the top to criticize groups to that extent on a friendly forum. lay off this isn't a BR forum.

i'll make sure i use the "approved" targets from now on.

in addressing the OP..... i've heard enough good things about their barrels to disregard one guys rant on here. it bothers me when someone flames a product without giving the company a chance to fix it. QC is never 100% and I don't know if that guy is capable of any better shooting than the barrel produced. (that was in no way a knock on that poster, just pointing out that he is relatively anonymous)

i'd do some home work and get hold of some guys that build ARs and get their opinions over taking the opinion of quality of all of us blowhards on here. there are a few sponsors that would be more than happy to discuss barrel quality intelligently and based on professional experience.

Last edited:
Maybe his computer didn't load all your text or all your pics there Billy, I hope. Cause it looks to me that those are some hella good 6 SHOT groups.

I agree with cbass on all the variables of bullet and powder selection. In the rare event that the barrel is the issue then as WSM also stated the company stands behind their product 100%. good luck getting that from Remington or the like.

Originally Posted By: nightcallerOriginally Posted By: knockemdownHey WSM,

Thanks!

WOW!!! i've got to shoot 5, 5 shot groups in order to post a target on here? that's pretty over the top to criticize groups to that extent on a friendly forum. lay off this isn't a BR forum.

i'll make sure i use the "approved" targets from now on.

in addressing the OP..... i've heard enough good things about their barrels to disregard one guys rant on here. it bothers me when someone flames a product without giving the company a chance to fix it. QC is never 100% and I don't know if that guy is capable of any better shooting than the barrel produced. (that was in no way a knock on that poster, just pointing out that he is relatively anonymous)

i'd do some home work and get hold of some guys that build ARs and get their opinions over taking the opinion of quality of all of us blowhards on here. there are a few sponsors that would be more than happy to discuss barrel quality intelligently and based on professional experience.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted By: RottyI am building a 6.5 Grendel and was considering a BHW barrel, but a recent post here has me rethinking this. I want a barrel that will shoot to my standard of 1/2 MOA give or take, and yes I will be hand loading, should I be looking elsewhere?

Where's that link to that Youtube video.....

lol.gif

Last edited:
My post on the Black Hole 6x45 doesn't have anything to do with the barrel. It was to figure out why it was short cycling (nothing to do with barrel) and get some help with load development.

You won't find a more willing company to go out of its way to try to help you out than BHW or for that matter New Frontier where I got the upper from. Both companies, in my opinion, are top notch!
thumbup1.gif
thumbup.gif

Oh, Nightcaller....wasn't ranting at all, just trying to get help with a new toy.

Last edited:
You hit that one on the head Pbchucker, they are both great and will go out there way to make sure there customers are happy , and so will all the other Great sponsors we have here thats one thing that makes this site work and the main reason we have so many Great members is the hard works the Mods put in and all the Great Sponsors we have here.

Originally Posted By: PbchuckerMy post on the Black Hole 6x45 doesn't have anything to do with the barrel. It was to figure out why it was short cycling (nothing to do with barrel) and get some help with load development.

You won't find a more willing company to go out of its way to try to help you out than BHW or for that matter New Frontier where I got the upper from. Both companies, in my opinion, are top notch!
thumbup1.gif
thumbup.gif

This man gets "it"
thumbup1.gif

Chupa

I was going to say don't forget that Pbchucker also stated in that thread the both BHW and NFA have contacted him and are wanting to fix the issue!

BHW barrels ARE GTG

I have always thought 3 shot groups prove the load and 5 shot groups proves the shooter????

Back