.270 Weatherby Vanguard: Update (custom build questions)

bustem19

I have this rifle and want to know some of the opinions on this gun.

I'm wanting to build a custom rifle and my dad purchased this gun for me 12 years ago, used. It is pretty beat up as it is, has some rust on the outside of the barrel and the stock is scratched up as well. Would you build a rifle from this or start from scratch. Or just keep it as it is, blue it and get a new stock for it?

Last edited:
The weatherby vanguard is made by howa. I have owned both a howa 1500 and a weatherby vanguard. I think it would be fine to build a rifle off of the weatherby action. I almost shot my first one hole group with a howa.

I did check these out (new)a few months ago and for me, they were to heavy - that was without a scope. I'm not into featherweights but this struck me as the other end of the scale.

I agree, the basic platform should be good for any variety of changes and uses.

I'd start, if you haven't already, with a new trigger.

I agree on the trigger. It's a heavy trigger and it has some creep. I'm completely new at this so I'm gonna need a list of some good triggers for this .270.

Also what about the barrel? Should I swap this out or not? Is the bolt worth getting some work done to as well? The .270 is not so heavy at all even with the scope.

My 300 Weatherby Ultra Mag on the other hand is very heavy. I see where you're coming from on that tika.

Hard to beat a Timney Trigger, and it's easy to install (I just did one on my son's Vanguard)

However, you haven't indicated what you want to do with this rifle, other than something "custom". Custom could mean having it engraved, or putting on new light weight stock for hunting, or a heavy stock for target work. Will it be a hunter? a hole puncher? or something pretty on the wall?? I suspect your 300WUM will stay your hunting rifle

Changing caliber, may or may not require a barrel change, but there's nothing wrong with a 270, and the long action will take lots of cartridges, but probably not short ones.

I'm looking at a mostly a hunter. Kind of a fancy deer rifle. So I guess I'm looking to lighten it up a little bit??

Put a little bit nicer of a wood grain thumbhole stock on it. I don't know where to make a purchase like this that's going to be of quality.

The bolt I have no clue about. I like the stainless twist look but I have no idea what it even does different to the gun. I would just be willing to do it so it looks nice.

I kind of want a stainless barrel but don't know if I can find one with better accuracy then the vanguard barrel itself.

Back