Coyotes in Rain?

TnTnTn

What do coyotes do when it is raining-in general? I have never seen a coyote in the rain that I recall-even while driving around the country side. I don't call in the rain but I have deer hunted in the rain and haven't seen coyotes then. I guess it depends on the individual coyote and degree of hunger but seems to me they don't move much in the rain. I figure they hole up in a hard shelter staying warm and dry unless they are really hungry. It is raining here today and was wondering about others' experiences. TTT

I've seen a lot of coyote out in the fields in a light drizzle, mostly in the mornings. They all seemed to be chasing mice. I've also called one in while turkey hunting in the rain. They're out there, you just gotta find them. Hope this helps!

i went out calling in the rain yesterday and seen NOTHING! i ignored the advice in books and video of STAY HOME! i heard they wont even respond to a call in rain?

although i scouted out that new property today while it was raining for tomorrows hunt and when i got out of my car 3 small bucks ran across the trail i just parked on, so the deer were in fact on the move in the rain.

lonnie

I like going out immediately after a good rain. I hunt over a lot of harvested fields and have found that a lot of critters (insects, mice, etc) are flooded out of their borrows and make a easy catch for yotes and other predators at this time. However, I don't have much success when it's actually raining. I simply wait until it slows down to a mist of stops completely.

I would imagine your call would not carry as far in the rain. So you would have to get close to where they are bedded down at! Which could be just luck of the draw unless you know where a den is and they made it there before the rain came. Just guessin!!

i jsut dont like to get wet at all! however i WILL be out after a nice rain or storm. seems every animal in the woods likes to walk around after a rain or so!.

I have had great luck in the rain/snow this year. I called in a coyote in a blizzard that you could not see 100 yards ahead. It was one of my best calling experiences to see that coyote come in like the storm was not affecting him one bit. I had so much snow on my gun that I could not find him in the scope and missed. If you do go out in the rain or snow, make sure that you have a fan ready to dry out your gun when you get home..

I actually enjoy hunting in the rain. I have called several in the rain. One with a snow on the ground an freezing rain falling, one in an outright downpour. My theory is that they are out there somewhere, you just have to find where. The wet ground makes it easier to sneak in close to the bedding areas undetected. The sound of the falling rain can also cover the sound of your steps. Most of the time you have the woods to yourself too.

One morning around 4am, my dogs woke me up wanting to go outside. I reluctlantly let them out because it was pouring the rain. One of them barked at something in the yard and this set the coyotes off. They were in the field across the road from my house and they were tearing it up.

To us humans it is natural for us to want to go inside during inclimate weather. To coyotes and other animals it's just a way of life. I really don't think it matters to them. They gotta eat no matter the weather. Watch the other wildlife. Turkey, crows, geese, even deer and you'll see them active during rain. I like to hunt. If I have the urge to go I don't let the weather stop me. Just enjoy it...

I know this is an old thread but it answered (mostly) my question about this topic. Thanks search box! Lol. Anyways... Does anyone else have any insight on this? I'm going out tomorrow and it's supposed to be raining off and on and be breezy.

Personally I don't hunt in the rain, in the pas t I've never had any luck, only managed to get all my gear wet

They smell bad enough when they're dry. I'm not looking to carry around a dead wet one!
crazy.gif

Well a buddy and me went out Saturday with no luck. It was raining all day and breezy. We saw two deer and scared up a couple turkey that were hunkered down. Didn't see nothing else. Not even any recent tracks. From now on I won't waste my time going in the rain.

I have called them in light drizzle and seen them deer hunting in light snow and rain. I think anything real heavy messes with there hearing and smell and they hole up unless bumped or driven.

I don't do much calling in the rain. I just don't like getting all the gear wet. The picture below was taken in a pouring rain at a bait site, and as you can see the ground is pretty flooded and the coyote is eating away. They do still feed in the rain.

I used to hunt in about all kinds of weather, but it doesn't take much rain to keep me home anymore. It is all about enjoying the outdoors for me, and getting wet is not a good thing. Coyotes still feed though so you can kill them on wet days.

Happy to report that hunting in the rain was not only successful, but fun. To hide and stay dry I set up an old tent, and covered it with an old GI camo net.

Friday late afternoon I worked the electronic caller till the sun went down, but no luck. Saturday morning I returned to the same spot and worked a combination of electronic and mouth calls. Thirty minutes into it a nice b itch came out of the brush 75 yards away and that was that.

Gar

Last edited:
I have not had much luck during the storm, however I have had good sucess just after it lets up. Especially if it has been raining all night and let's up in the morning.

Back