Best case trimming set-up

Ricky Bobby

Just getting into reloading and need to get some type of case trimmer. What would be the best set-up for trimming cases? I've been looking at the Forster case trimmers and also the RCBS case pro trimmer, but thought I'd ask what everyone's opinion is on this subject before purchasing!

I have a Hornady case trimmer that I leave set for .223 and use the lee case trimmers for all the others. Lee trimmers work great and cost less than $10 for a trimmer and the correct case length mandrel, once you have the trimmer the case length mandrels are about $5 each.

Last edited:
Depends on how technically correct you want to get, plus the cost. I now use a Redding Model 2400 that has a micrometer on it for precise cutting. But that's because I also reload for my 6mmbr rifle. There are various less expensive models available that will get you by very adequately for hunting and general reloading. Good Luck and have fun.

I use the Wilson for precision work and a RCBS Pro Trim for trimming mass quantities of brass.

I simply attach a 1/2" variable speed drill to the shaft of the trimmer, no attachment needed. I trim a case every 3-4 seconds.

RCBS also makes a carbide cutter for this trimmer that cuts like a butcher knife.

Sinclair International makes one and calls it the Sinclair Stainless Ultimate Trimmer. I quote their catalog;
"The legendary Wilson Case Trimmer has just gotten better. Exclusive to Sinclair International, the Wilson Case Trimmer is now offered in a Stainless Steel model. We’ve paired the most accurate trimmer in the world with our Sinclair Micrometer head to create the New Sinclair Stainless Ultimate Trimmer.

The Wilson Case Trimmer aligns and holds your cases square to the cutter during the trim process. This results in a virtually identical trim length for each case. It is accomplished with Wilson’s unique case holder system which holds the case by the body taper. The trimmer case holder, cutter housing, and micrometer adjustment unit sit in perfect alignment. No pilots or collets are utilized which could influence the trim results negatively. Now in stainless steel, the Wilson Trimmer is built to last for a lifetime of use.

Our Sinclair Micrometer head allows the reloader to easily adjust trim length in increments of .001" with an adjustment length of over 2". Our micrometer reads in “actual” case length, making it the most pleasurable micro trimmer to work with. Determine your trim length, dial to the exact length on the micrometer, and you’re ready – it’s that simple. The micrometer features crisp, easy-to-read engravings and may be locked in place when set. Easily accommodates cases from 22 Hornet to 416 Rigby. When trimming cases shorter than 1.3” such as pistol cases, the use of a spacer (part number WX11) is necessary."

By the price I would say they are proud of it.

I use the l.e. wilson case trimer with a sinclair stand that has a "sharkfin". It is good I have no complaints, but if you have the money pickup the micrometer, power adapter and the carbide cutter.

Guys, I have gotten on the Brownells website and there are 2 different case trimmers that are Sinclair models and they are both stainless. Which one are you guys talking about? They both look about the same, but one is on sale for $159 and the other they want $199. Also, does a person have to buy seperate case holders for each caliber with these trimmers?

I'm sure they all work well but to me the problem is consistancy. I trim today and maybe don't reload that caliber again for months or years. Then you have to reset the trimmer and adjust for length because you know you're going to trimming another caliber inbetween, and besides you forgot to write down what that length was.

The most consistant trimer I've seen yet is the Lee Manual trimmer. Yes most of you stopped reading with that, but the fact is there is no adjustment on this trimmer and therefore it is the same everytime, today, tomorrow, next year.

The problem with it, is the word "MANUAL". It's hard on your hands.

And the solution is have the cutter drilled and tapped for a stud/bolt that will match the power terminals of your RCBS or Hornady case prep centers. This allows you to trim, debur, and fully prep the case without ever having to change to another machine, and there's less wear and tear on your hands. And since the pilot pin never changes, neither does the trimmed length. And the same cutter can handle every cartridge that Lee makes trimmers for, and for I think less than $10 each

Last edited:
I have used my Forster for over 30 yrs. and finally had to buy another cutter shaft, it holds the case in a collet so it is measured from the bottom. I have 1 shell holding collet and it holds all the sizes I trim.
Why do you need a stainless trimmer, are you going to be trimming cases under water or out in the snow? I trim hundreds of cases with my Forster from 223 to 338 Ultra mag and there is 2 different length of bases.
The Forster is all you need, hands down. If you can read a caliper you can adjust the length in 1 minute.
Tarey

Originally Posted By: Bigdog2
The most consistant trimer I've seen yet is the Lee Manual trimmer.
The Possum Hollow that I have is easier on the hands. Not too expensive and does its job. That being said it is caliber specific.

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyGuys, I have gotten on the Brownells website and there are 2 different case trimmers that are Sinclair models and they are both stainless. Which one are you guys talking about? They both look about the same, but one is on sale for $159 and the other they want $199. Also, does a person have to buy seperate case holders for each caliber with these trimmers?

Ricky,

You have to buy a case holder for a family of cases. For
instance if you shoot a 308 Win, and a 243 Win, then
one case holder works for both. Or if you shoot 30-06 Sprg,
270 Win, and 25-06 Rem., then one case holder works for
all three. The case holders for the Wilson trimmer is what
makes the Wilson trimmer so accurate. It is like putting
the case in a short rifle chamber(holds the case square
to the cutter) and trimming the neck. The Wilson is not
terrible fast, but it is THE most accurate trimmer on the
market. Sinclair's mounting system with the Shark Fin
case holder lock makes for speedier use of the Wilson
trimmer. I do keep an old Lyman piloted trimmer around
for pistol cases, and new style rifle cases until I can
get a Wilson case holder.

Squeeze

I bought the Sinclair Ultimate trimmer a few years ago and I recently bought the Sinclair Ultimate for the 50 BMG. The only complaint I have is that my right hand gets tired of turning that little handle. I had a friend come over and he made me some stainless steel power adapters for it. One for trimming the length and one for removing the military crimp from the 50 BMG. Plug them into a drill and away you go. $15 for one or $25 for two.

url]

Jim

Last edited:
Back