Glass (blue) eyed coyote

Originally Posted By: RJM Acres

Getting your coyote mounted in Arkansas has a whole different meaning.

Ha..ha....I guess you know why all the goat & sheep farmers down here wear knee high boots! It's not because of the mud. It's so they can slide their legs in the boot tops to keep them from getting kicked......least that's what I've heard. By the way, I don't have any goats or sheep.

RJM, don't you have a few around your place? HA..HA..HA

Originally Posted By: cookstaxiOriginally Posted By: RJM Acres

Getting your coyote mounted in Arkansas has a whole different meaning.

Ha..ha....I guess you know why all the goat & sheep farmers down here wear knee high boots! It's not because of the mud. It's so they can slide their legs in the boot tops to keep them from getting kicked......least that's what I've heard. By the way, I don't have any goats or sheep.

RJM, don't you have a few around your place? HA..HA..HA

Real reason for the boots is so you can put their hind legs in the boots so they can't get away.
Now you know why some of my goats have blue eyes.

Real reason for the boots is so you can put their hind legs in the boots so they can't get away.
Now you know why some of my goats have blue eyes.

I bet they've learned not to stick their heads through the fence when they see you wearing your boots.

Anyway... it looks like the blue eyed animal mystery has been solved. Everybody's been trying to blame it on a Husky or leopard dog, but the real culprit has confessed.

Originally Posted By: cookstaxi
I bet they've learned not to stick their heads through the fence when they see you wearing your boots.

Anyway... it looks like the blue eyed animal mystery has been solved. Everybody's been trying to blame it on a Husky or leopard dog, but the real culprit has confessed.

Only the billy goats.

I've never seen that blue eyed coyote before in my life.

Now to be serious for a minute.
By leopard dog are you talking about catahulas ?
My catahula has hazel eyes, not blue.

Not as funny as Jim's, but blue eyes do occur sometimes.

blueeye.jpg

Yep, Catahoula is what I was referring to as a leopard dog mainly because the spell check on this computer tries to throw out Catahoula no matter how it's spelled. I too have some with hazel eyes, but one partial or even double glass eyes is a common trait in the breed. I've had them all my life, & they're probably my favorite all around dog breed.

I wonder how the blue eyes reflect compaired to the regular brown eyes. I've never even given it a thought to look at there eyes after I shoot one

Yep, Catahoula is what I was referring to as a leopard dog mainly because the spell check on this computer tries to throw out Catahoula no matter how it's spelled. I too have some with hazel eyes, but one partial or even double glass eyes is a common trait in the breed. I've had them all my life, & they're probably my favorite all around dog breed.

Great dogs. Smart. To brave for their own good.

Quote:I wonder how the blue eyes reflect compaired to the regular brown eyes.

I don't think it would effect the reflection. As I understand it the reflection is off of the tapetum lucidum behind the retina at the back of the eye, not the (colored) iris.

Torry, thats a cool deal there. I have never seen a blue eyed one before. You have shoes? Man... yall must be rich! Oh yeah, I don't recommend mounting a coyote. Blue eyes or not. I tried to mount one awhile back and it bit the he11 out of me.

Last edited:
nmleon is on the money:
"...Coyote eyes have a feature known as the tapetum lucidum, Latin for “bright tapestry.”
The tapetum lucidum reflects light back onto the retina so very dim light has a second chance to
find light-sensitive rods. It is the tapetum lucidum that you see when you shine a light in an
animal’s eye and observe that ominous glow. The tapetum lucidum gives the coyote better lowlight
vision, but this enhancement comes at the cost of resolution and clarity. As the light is
reflected back on the retina, the resulting image becomes blurry from light interference...."
Hunting the Hunters by Charles R. Shawley

Gotta love a glass eyed 'houla dog. We had a stud dog with "cracked glass", the weird split pupil they sometimes get. He freaked people out with his stare down....quite intimidating.

i had one (dog, not yote)) with dbl glass eyes that didnt seem to see good in bright sun, but it was also one that had "lethal white" and could not hear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cowpastureplinkeri had one (dog, not yote)) with dbl glass eyes that didnt seem to see good in bright sun, but it was also one that had "lethal white" and could not hear.

That's another odd trait, wonder why so many (not all) of the white headed catahoula dogs are deaf. Doesn't seem to be a problem in other breeds. Raised a litter of 9 one time, 3 of which had white heads. Two out of the three with white heads were deaf. The other white headed puppy, & the other solid blue leopards, could hear just fine.

Originally Posted By: Merdit
Gotta love a glass eyed 'houla dog. We had a stud dog with "cracked glass", the weird split pupil they sometimes get. He freaked people out with his stare down....quite intimidating.

Don't see that very often, wouldn't mind having one like that.

lethal white is a genetic disorder that is connected somehow with color. it shows up in other breeds too. Austrailian shepards and a few others get it. even horses can get it. colts that have it usually die within a few days of birth though. it is similar to Hirschsprung's disease in humans. in dogs, it will happen usually when breeding two dogs with to much white, or sometimes even just two merle or double merle colored dogs. it's generally considered best to breed merles or double merles to solid colored dogs. but i have crossed catahoulas with other breeds and it doesnt seem to happen even in the mostly white/white headed ones. i had a vet tell me that sometimes the problem with deafness is because there is no hole in the ear canal, and that they can sometimes make an incision just below where the hole should be and the dogs may be able to hear. but most breeders will just cull the pups with to much white.

and sorry for the thread hijack. cool coyote!

Last edited:
Back