Anyone Own One of the Marlin 983 .22 Mag

kel

Getting ready to buy one and wondered if the accuracy is still good on the new ones. I used to have an older Marlin .22 mag the resembled it but I can't remember what model number it was. Maybe it was 983.

I have a 983S, stainless with a tube fed magazine. I like it a lot. It shoots well; really likes the Federal 50 gr JHP. It is very accurate with just the 4x scope I have on it.

That's what it was, an 883. Really liked that gun but was borrowing it long term from someone who went away. Santa has delivered me plenty of gift cards to the local gun store and I have been looking at the 983 for months now.

If I can get time away from work this week I will go and pick one up. I had anticipated Santa's gifts so I had the gun store order in some 50gr Federal JHP so sounds like I should be in good shape.

I have a Redfield Revolution with the Accu-range reticle on my 22-250 but am thinking of switching it over to the new .22 mag and purchasing a Revolution with the 4 Plex reticle for the 22-250.

One thing I've noticed about the Accu-range reticle on a gun down here is that shots rarely exceed 200 yards and with a 22-250 you don't really get much out of the accu- range scope at those distances. Now the .22 mag should be able to benefit from it though.

i have an 883. it is a decent gun. trigger is aweful. i plan to put a rile basix trigger in, i just haven't done so yet. i don't know what they go for now....mine was a gift 15-20 years ago. personally if i were in the market for a 22 mag i'd shop around.

I have and 882SSV that is about 7 years old, the current model is 982VS. I have 4 7-shot clips and the gun is a real tack driver at 100 yards, just a fun gun to shoot.

Got a tube fed blued model. Very accurate with the Remington Ballistic Tips and the Hornady V-Maxes.

MarlinMag.jpg

MarlinMagGroup-1.jpg

That 883 I was borrowing was more than accurate for me. 50 yard groups were very small and since it's going to be my dedicated night gun I don't often get a positive id much further out than that. I'm sold on the tube fed guns in .22 caliber for hunting. 12 shots will last me a year at the rate I'm going! The only part that can be a pain is emptying the chamber. Takes a bit longer than a clip fed.

I have Friday off and have already called the gun store to make sure they have a 983 set back for me. The pawn shop just down the street from work has a Winchester pump .22 magnum that looks pretty similar to my old .22 semi-auto from when I was a kid. Can't find very much info on it though.

I would think about a CZ as I've read a lot of good reviews about them but for my intended use I can't justify the extra cost.

Last edited:
Back