75 Gr. V-Max Performance?

Utahdogger

Anyone actually shot a coyote with a 243 using these bullets yet ? Were they accurate and what kind of damage did they do ? Any favorite loads for it?

One of the all time greatest coyote killing projectiles ever created by the Gods on High!

Fur damage... well... not so good there. The 50-60 coyotes I shot with that bullet ALL had two holes in them... half the holes were .243"... the other half ranged in size from a nickle... to a grapefruit...
wink.gif

I have shot several different critters with tha bullet in my DTech 6mmDTI. I have only shot 5 coyotes so far though and it performed so well I bought more.
thumbup.gif

Here is a picture of a hog I shot one afternoon as he was laying in the mud..DRT. Then the next morning I caught this coyote there and as you can see he did not travel far.
thumbup1.gif

IMG_0126.jpg

Between myself and a friend there have taken 7 deer and a dozen or so hogs with the DTI about half with the 75gr V-Max and the others with the 80gr Berger.

Some more 75gr Vmax 6mmDTI kills.
One picture is my first triple all were DRT.

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

Yes that's about it. Of course I am sure if you have a marginal hit then damage could get ugly.I am running the 75gr at about 3275fps give or take so I am not quite up there with the .243 speeds so that may be why 6MM has some serious pelt damage.

I really liked the Hornady 75 gr V-Max bullets. I didn't get many exit holes and most of the coyotes went right down.

I now have to shoot lead free bullets at coyotes and none of them perform nearly as good on coyotes as the Hornady 75 gr V-Max did.

I've shot about 15 coyotes with the 243/75gr Vmax combo so far, and have only had severe pelt damage on one. Ranges were from about 50yds to 430.

It surprised me how pelt friendly the Vmax has been so far. My son had used the 60gr Vmax in his 223wssm @ 3,700fps for 2 years, and he's had some huge splash wounds. Perhaps because of the difference in speeds (the 243 is about 3250fps)?

Both the 243 and the 223wssm shoot the Vmax very, very well.

I've shot them out of my 6mm for a few years. Ive killed several coyotes, deer, pigs, cats etc... The pelt damage on the coyotes and cats was very bad. Exit holes bigger than my fist.

Some guns will shoot the 75g Vax and some will not....strange.

The 80g Sierra Blitz with 39-41.5g of IMR 4064, fed 210 in my Rem 700 does 3500 fps, hammers the heck out of yotes.

Sure 'nuff kills 'em. My savage likes to shoot them over H4895. In the Hornady book I am way over max, but not to the max of the Hodgdon website. Chronied @ 3250 fps.

Back