Stretcher sizes

nd coyote killer

Guys putting up furs for the first time and am wondering how wide your stretching your hides after fleshing. Do you stretch to get length more or width? Or is this a question for each of the furbuyers you dealing with. Q i would like to here from you on this one.

I use only wooden stretchers for coyotes. In the closed position I pull the coyote down quite snug and pin the legs. Then I will spread open the bottom of the stretcher until it is quite snug. Once that is done I will flip over the stretcher and pin the hips. You can gain 3 or more inches some times by doing that. It gives the coyote a larger and more fuller look. I am in the middle of putting up my fur now so I will post some pictures when I get time.

Good hunting.

Q,

ND,
when stetching bobcats alwies go for the most leanght you can get. I have never seen a fur buyer grade a cat hide that did not take a yard stick and measure it from the end of the nose to the base of the tail. About every 2 inches is a new size grade and more $. You still need a wide white well spotted belly for top doller.
Coyotes, Q gave you the right info, that is the way i do them as well. stay away from wire stretchers, go wood, for the best put-up on cats and coyotes. ~ b

Back